2010 World Cup Qualifiers Thread

Why the **** doesn't world cup level soccer have instant replay on goals, to check for offsides, hand balls and what not. I'd have to talk to a Euro here, people might be super-adverse to it, but it seems like a no brainer to me. Maybe the fact that soccer runs on a continuous clock makes it' a poor candidate for instant replay, I dunno.
Because FIFA are a backward (and corrupt, but that's another story) organization, living in the 1970's, full of men aged 60 and over. They don't seem to have realized that football has become much much faster paced than it used to be, and they are clueless about how to handle it without embracing video technology.Situations like this are only going to happen more and more, as footballers become more adept at cheating, whether it's diving, wasting time, handballing, or anything else. More and more games are ending in controversy these days, more often than not over whether someone has cheated... it's becoming really annoying to anyone who just wants to watch good football.Footballers should take responsibility for their own sport, and not cheat... but that's not going to happen.So, I would propose a similar thing to tennis. Each team's manager would have 3 or 4 challenges per game, where they could consult the video ref. I actually think it'd add to the game, not slow it down... the crowd would love it, just like they do in any other sport. And of course, everyone would appreciate the added fairness it would bring to the game. Who knows, it may even lead to less footballers cheating so they're not exposed right there for the whole crowd to see??I'd also have a video clock, so that everyone can see exactly how long is left to play. Everytime the ref stops play, the clock stops, and the added on time would no longer be a controversy.But Sepp and the boys just talk about adding a couple of extra refs on the goal line, or something. Twats.
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I would propose a similar thing to tennis. Each team's manager would have 3 or 4 challenges per game, where they could consult the video ref. I actually think it'd add to the game, not slow it down... the crowd would love it, just like they do in any other sport. And of course, everyone would appreciate the added fairness it would bring to the game. Who knows, it may even lead to less footballers cheating so they're not exposed right there for the whole crowd to see??But Sepp and the boys just talk about adding a couple of extra refs on the goal line, or something. Twats.
I quite like the idea of this, comparable to the red flag coaches in the NFL have. It would be quite amusing seeing Fergie running down the touchline throwing a flag into to field. The basic argument against technology is that it would ruin the link of the game and the grass roots. For example me playing in the park on a Sunday is fundamentally the same game as what was played last night. Personally I don't buy into that argument. Look at the most popular sport in America (the NFL againt). They have a myriad of rules, regulations and video rules but i'm sure it doesn't stop people having a pick up game on a Sunday afternoon with their mates.
I quite like the idea of this, comparable to the red flag coaches in the NFL have. It would be quite amusing seeing Fergie running down the touchline throwing a flag into to field. The basic argument against technology is that it would ruin the link of the game and the grass roots. For example me playing in the park on a Sunday is fundamentally the same game as what was played last night. Personally I don't buy into that argument. Look at the most popular sport in America (the NFL againt). They have a myriad of rules, regulations and video rules but i'm sure it doesn't stop people having a pick up game on a Sunday afternoon with their mates.
Which is utter nonsense, of course. I really hate that argument, oh yeah we've got to link the game to it's grass roots, what the hell does that even mean? I suppose all those people playing Sunday football at the local park relate to being on £100,000 per week, having 5 Ferraris, and transfer fees of £80m. People are not stupid, they do understand that there's massive differences between playing local football and football at the very highest level.When I was a kid, I'd have a kick around in the garden with my mates, right after we watched an England match, for example. We didn't think we were in Italy, playing in the World Cup... we kind of understood that. But we loved the game.If they REALLY want to respect the fans, they should make the game fairer to all those who spend money following their team, whether it's club or country. Which means video technology.

A handball isn't cheating. Yeah, it sucks to lose that way, but getting all pissy at Henry is pretty ridiculous. What he did was total instinct, and no more "cheating" than an offsides that isn't called. No human on Earth in that situation would ask the refs to overturn the goal. I actually feel bad for the guy...he's in a rough situation that's really not his fault.

A handball isn't cheating. Yeah, it sucks to lose that way, but getting all pissy at Henry is pretty ridiculous. What he did was total instinct, and no more "cheating" than an offsides that isn't called. No human on Earth in that situation would ask the refs to overturn the goal. I actually feel bad for the guy...he's in a rough situation that's really not his fault.
I don't think anyone (in this thread, anyway) is getting pissy at Henry. Footballers will obviously do whatever to gain an advantage. They might end up looking bad, but there's a lot at stake... I'd probably do the same if I was a professional footballer.The point is that things like this shouldn't be allowed to stand at the highest level of world football. Not when there's a very easy solution, video replays, to solve the problem. It's ridiculous.
I don't think anyone (in this thread, anyway) is getting pissy at Henry.
Clear hand ball by Henry, what a cheat!
thierry, how could you? :club:
Well there you go, hope your proud of your cheating Henry!
Situations like this are only going to happen more and more, as footballers become more adept at cheating, whether it's diving, wasting time, handballing, or anything else. More and more games are ending in controversy these days, more often than not over whether someone has cheated... it's becoming really annoying to anyone who just wants to watch good football.Footballers should take responsibility for their own sport, and not cheat... but that's not going to happen.
A lot of you sounded pretty pissy at Henry to me. For the record, I'm not saying you all shouldn't be frustrated at what happened.
The point is that things like this shouldn't be allowed to stand at the highest level of world football. Not when there's a very easy solution, video replays, to solve the problem. It's ridiculous.
Agreed.
A lot of you sounded pretty pissy at Henry to me. For the record, I'm not saying you all shouldn't be frustrated at what happened.Agreed.
I think a lot of that was heat of the moment comments. I'm not Irish but us celtic nations tend to stick together so i was wanting them to win. To be fair to Henry he has an excellent reputation in the game. My most vivid memory of him was nothing to do with anything he did on the pitch. It was immediately after Arsenal had qualified for the Champions League Final, his first words in the exit interview was to congratualate Steven Gerard on winning the Player of the Year. Of course it was an unfortunate incident but his whole career shouldn't be judged on one moment. Just as Maradona's career was not judged by the hand of god incident.

yeh, mine wasnt a pissy comment just a disappointed comment since i am an arsenal fan and an henry fanboy and my dad is irish so the party in the summer would have been awesome. such a shame that it went down the way it did but i dont blame henry - you play to the whistle but it just a shitty way to go out.

Football players pull jerseys and commit fouls all the time, would people consider that cheating? I don't think so, sure its unfortunate but I don't think his rep should be tarnished at all, Henry handled it amazingly well and has been a solid guy for all of his career.

Football players pull jerseys and commit fouls all the time, would people consider that cheating? I don't think so, sure its unfortunate but I don't think his rep should be tarnished at all, Henry handled it amazingly well and has been a solid guy for all of his career.
He certainly did.By the way, just to make this clear in case it's not, it's possible to acknowledge Henry cheated without being too bothered with him for doing that. There's no doubt he cheated, intentionally. In fact, it's an insult to Henry himself if you don't think he did! The guy is one of the most talented footballers in the world, extremely co-ordinated, and knew exactly his actions. If Henry does an intentional flick, in the space of 1 second, as the ball comes to him you'd say he meant it. Trust me, Henry had the time to know what he was doing.However that, as you can see from my posts, was never my main issue. The game needs a change in how it's officiated.

Agree with pretty much everything everyone has posted and think James explains himself really well.Henry for sure knew what he was doing but it was on gut reaction. I still like him but obviously heartbroken.We were the better team but they did come back into it in extra time and I was pretty worried and willing to gamble it on penalties.How this went down added with late qualification seeding, this is all just horrible and I feel so bad for honest loyal players like Shay Given. Watching his reaction to when we scored is painful now, knowing whats about to happen to him. A big wtf at fifa's website not even mentioning the handball in the match report and just referring to it as "a stroke of good luck". The conspiracy theorists are getting riled up back home.Please be to god that our fucking politicians stop getting involved and we stop requesting a replay. 200 idiots went on a march to the french embassy. Lets just make sure we get video equipment in(theres already cameras IN the goal ffs) and stop making a spectacle of ourselves.Entirely unfair how all of this happened but oh well.

• 2 weeks later...
Ireland are getting desperated now! http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/i...als/8386207.stmA message to the FAI, drop it now and keep what dignity you still have.
Meh, I don't neccesarily blame the FAI for asking. Once FIFA say no, then they should drop it.This kind of news doesn't surprise me though: http://www.soccerway.com/news/2009/Novembe...-henry-support/Obviously, Twatter Blatter has phoned every member of the Irish team to apologize too. No? Oh, ok. Football authorities (FIFA, UEFA, they're all the same) just constantly go about everything wrongly. Look at Drogba last year... yeah, he was a dick complaining to the referee and shouting at the camera etc. But he gets a 5 game ban, for something which did NOT affect the outcome of a big game whatsoever (and Barca did get every decision that game, tbf, it was crazy). Meanwhile, Henry breaks the rules of the game to get his team to the World Cup and gets consoled and congratulated by Chief Tosspot.FIFA always say they believe in fair play. Yeah, course they do.

FIFA is considering punishing Thierry Henry for his intentional handball. This would be monumentally stupid. We do not punish players for the mistakes of referees.

FIFA is considering punishing Thierry Henry for his intentional handball. This would be monumentally stupid. We do not punish players for the mistakes of referees.
Agreed. Pretty typical of an organization like this not to take responsibility for their paid officials miscues.
Group drawing T-minus 2 hours!!!!South Africa draw......ONE TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIME!!!!!
South Africa, Algeria, and Slovenia please. The US is so due for an easier draw....

Be luckier Mexico. Must be nice. Every year they get SO damn lucky at the draw. It's amazing.We get England. That's going to be very interesting anyway. Not a great matchup. But then, England and the USA both got Algeria which is a HUGE break. Algeria is the worst team in Pod C.

huh? If they do the same for when people dive, why not intentional handball?and after all that France get the easiest group in the draw, fml
huh? If they do the same for when people dive, why not intentional handball?and after all that France get the easiest group in the draw, fml
I mean if they give him a retroactive yellow card I guess that is fine. But anything beyond that and it is a problem, imo. It sounded more like they were considering more serious sanctions.Should be interesting to see how the US deals with being "expected" to get through the group stage.