2010 World Cup Qualifiers Thread

USA did not look great against El Salvador but they got the W. The ref should be banned from ever calling another match. What an incompetent piece of shit.Argentina and Portugal are in very real danger of missing the World Cup. How weird would it be to have no Messi or Ronaldo at the WC?
i'd say portugal have zero chance of qualification now. argentina will qualify, fifa will fix it so their golden boy messi gets in whatever way they can.
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'd say portugal have zero chance of qualification now. argentina will qualify, fifa will fix it so their golden boy messi gets in whatever way they can.
I think there is a great chance we will see a playoff between Mexico and Argentina for the last spot into the World Cup. How intense is that going to be?Also, Argentina needs to fire Maradona asap. I know he is a legend there but the guy sucks at coaching. That team is way too strong to struggle like this. Did Portugal lose again? If they did, I agree they are done.
I think there is a great chance we will see a playoff between Mexico and Argentina for the last spot into the World Cup. How intense is that going to be?Also, Argentina needs to fire Maradona asap. I know he is a legend there but the guy sucks at coaching. That team is way too strong to struggle like this. Did Portugal lose again? If they did, I agree they are done.
Portugal drew.I don't think you can write Portugal out of it, not by a long way. They've still got to play Hungary, twice... I think it's a slightly misleading group with the way the fixtures have worked out. If you actually look at games still to play, I can see Portugal getting into the playoffs. If they win their last 3 games, I think they'll definitely get there. Sweden still have to travel to Denmark too.Argentina will be there. They're 4th right now... not sure why you think they'll have to qualify via the playoffs? Their remaining games are decent, I don't see the problem.
Portugal drew.I don't think you can write Portugal out of it, not by a long way. They've still got to play Hungary, twice... I think it's a slightly misleading group with the way the fixtures have worked out. If you actually look at games still to play, I can see Portugal getting into the playoffs. If they win their last 3 games, I think they'll definitely get there. Sweden still have to travel to Denmark too.Argentina will be there. They're 4th right now... not sure why you think they'll have to qualify via the playoffs? Their remaining games are decent, I don't see the problem.
I was saying if Portugal lost they were done. A draw and yeah they could do it. They will have to beat Hungary both times though.I thought Argentina was currently in 5th? I could be mistaken. 5th place team from South America plays the CONCACAF 4th place team in a two game playoff. Lol, just checked out CONCACAF. Apparently, Mexico destroyed Costa Rica on the road last night. No one from our group ever beats Costa Rica on the road. Maybe that playoff will be some weak matchup between Costa Rica or Honduras and Ecuador.

I'm hoping that Portugal manage to balls up their final games (say draw twice with Hungary). Only because it will strengthen Scotlands bid for a playoff spot :club:

It is going to be a tough game for Argentina to go into Paraguay and get a result, the main thing they have going for them is that Paraguay is pretty much in but playing away in SA is never an easy task and Colombia or Ecuador could over take them. With that said I'm pretty sure they still get in but its gonna be close, and even if they go to the playoff any team that comes out of NA is going to be a big underdog, and in its probably going to be Honduras or Costa Rica in the playoff, Mexico and US have too much depth and Concacaf is too corupt to risk losing those 2 teams going to the WC.I'm really hoping Colombia make it into the WC they have a huge game away to Uruguay that very well could give them a really good chance at getting 4th or 5th.

Davies is looking pretty legit too. With another year Altidore and Davies could be a pretty good pairing, by 2014 these 2 guys could be the real deal.
agreed. especially if davies continues his mercurial rise through club soccer. stanky leg strikers are dangerouuuussss. regardless, mexico's recovery is something im really not sure about. like, they did not look great against the us, but who goes to costa rica and wins? i dont know if CR just sucked or what. Honduras is starting to look like the real deal, which makes the US game wednesday another must win. also, concacaf refs are a joke. how altidores goal was called back was so terrible, i didnt even know what to say. still dont.
agreed. especially if davies continues his mercurial rise through club soccer. stanky leg strikers are dangerouuuussss. regardless, mexico's recovery is something im really not sure about. like, they did not look great against the us, but who goes to costa rica and wins? i dont know if CR just sucked or what. Honduras is starting to look like the real deal, which makes the US game wednesday another must win. also, concacaf refs are a joke. how altidores goal was called back was so terrible, i didnt even know what to say. still dont.
Mexico did'nt just win they slaughtered Costa Rica at home, which does'nt happen very often. Honduras has the whole country behind them and they have a really dangerous offence, at home they are'nt gonna give up many points but on the road they are vulnerable, if Suazo is on his game he probably has the most quality of anyone in the region though.
also, concacaf refs are a joke. how altidores goal was called back was so terrible, i didnt even know what to say. still dont.
when the announcers need 10 minutes just to determine what was called, you know someone screwed up. just a disgrace. I know we don't want the ugly Americans to succeed in soccer but let's try and make it less blatant, shall we? Thank you.Altidore might be that guy. I am still waiting to see him score from outside the 18 or by blowing by someone. His shielding skills and finishing in the box are top notch though.
Mexico did'nt just win they slaughtered Costa Rica at home, which does'nt happen very often. Honduras has the whole country behind them and they have a really dangerous offence, at home they are'nt gonna give up many points but on the road they are vulnerable, if Suazo is on his game he probably has the most quality of anyone in the region though.
yeah, honduras is dirty. when they click watch out. i just am amazed by the costa rica result, really interested to see how they do in their next game.
when the announcers need 10 minutes just to determine what was called, you know someone screwed up. just a disgrace. I know we don't want the ugly Americans to succeed in soccer but let's try and make it less blatant, shall we? Thank you.Altidore might be that guy. I am still waiting to see him score from outside the 18 or by blowing by someone. His shielding skills and finishing in the box are top notch though.
yeah he is a beast. im not sure if he is an outside the box kinda guy, but when he did up the italian defender in the confed cup to draw a pk, i was in awe.
Altidore might be that guy. I am still waiting to see him score from outside the 18 or by blowing by someone. His shielding skills and finishing in the box are top notch though.
I think he is an inside the 18 player, he is just so physically dominating over every defender that shooting from outside isn't something he needs to do really. He is a perfect target for crosses and does a great job of shielding defenders and turning for shots. I think he will get better one on one over the next few years and end up becoming quite the force for American soccer.And yea, his goal that got called back was so fucking ridiculous. That was an embarrassingly bad call.
Was this in doubt?
hahaha...Not really, especially considering the fact that S. America is by far the easiest continent to be in to qualify for the WC.However, a 3-1 win against Argentina playing over there makes the qualification a bit more special.Someone also mentioned that the 5th placed country in S. America will play a CONCACAF team in a playoff for a spot in the WC. I´m pretty sure they´ll play against the Oceania winner...BTW, Brazil is the only country to have played every single World Cup tournament!
hahaha...Not really, especially considering the fact that S. America is by far the easiest continent to be in to qualify for the WC.However, a 3-1 win against Argentina playing over there makes the qualification a bit more special.Someone also mentioned that the 5th placed country in S. America will play a CONCACAF team in a playoff for a spot in the WC. I´m pretty sure they´ll play against the Oceania winner...BTW, Brazil is the only country to have played every single World Cup tournament!
nope, 5th place in south america plays fourth place in concacaf for a spot, and the two third place finishers, Bahrain and Saudi Arabia squared off saturday and later today for a chance to play new zealand from oceania for a spot.should be some good games today. comeeee on us, lets make my life slightly less stressful next month.

Well thats Scotland's dreams over after getting beat by the Dutch tonight. It wasn't a bad performance but we really need a striker who can score goals if McFadden isn't fit. (Kenny Miller missed a sitter tonight!)

A narrow win for the US. Good enough. They are on the doorstep now. It would be great if Costa Rica could lose on the road to El Salvador...
oh hello. i called this one actually, said that they would not win in es, but a loss, that is just magnificent.one win away.

Ireland are pretty much playing for 2nd place. 3rd gets nothing in our groups.Italy are 4 points clear from us.Bulgaria 5 points behind us.Irelands games: Italy at home. Montengro at home. Bulgaria: Cyprus away. Georgia at home.If we lose and draw and Bulgaria win both we are out. Bulgaria have a nice team this year. Please to not be throwing this away.I have faith in Trappatoni. Our team is pretty shit, hes done an amazing job.

Ireland are pretty much playing for 2nd place. 3rd gets nothing in our groups.Italy are 4 points clear from us.Bulgaria 5 points behind us.Irelands games: Italy at home. Montengro at home. Bulgaria: Cyprus away. Georgia at home.If we lose and draw and Bulgaria win both we are out. Bulgaria have a nice team this year. Please to not be throwing this away.I have faith in Trappatoni. Our team is pretty shit, hes done an amazing job.
a draw against italy would be so huge
Scotland will be haunted by their inability to beat Norway. GODDAMMIT!
You mean this..........?
(if anyone has not seen it take a look at the worst miss ever)