2010 World Cup Qualifiers Thread

Discuss your teams fortunes and misfortunes.Ireland got off to a good start with a 2-1 win "away" to Georgia. Looking at our team I'm not too confident but somehow we have Trappatoni managing us so it could be ok after our last two jokes of managers.I feel pretty bad about making Georgia play us in Germany, while Russia had invaded we put in a request to not play there, which is fair enough but the war is over and Georgia had to play us on neutral ground, which is pretty unfair and I'm sure they hate us. I'm not happy about it, our football association board are a pack of corrupt dicks.We have Italy in our group and somehow we have to be afraid of Cyprus, Italy only beat them 2-1 and they put 6 goals past us last year :club: Well LJ, Macedonia ruined our chances of qualifiying when I was 15, an Irish tv station flew me over and filmed my experience so if it helps I despise the bastards.Also how many times do England get Andorra in their group?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the US won another game while still managing to look completely uninspiring. There is ZERO offensive creativity on this team....until the US can churn out a legit goal scorer they will never be a real soccer threat.also, I have NO idea what the US coach is thinking leaving Altidore and Adu off the roster. I guess we are banking on a whole heap of 1-nil wins.

the US won another game while still managing to look completely uninspiring. There is ZERO offensive creativity on this team....until the US can churn out a legit goal scorer they will never be a real soccer threat.also, I have NO idea what the US coach is thinking leaving Altidore and Adu off the roster. I guess we are banking on a whole heap of 1-nil wins.
i agree and disagree, clint dempsey attacked like i havent seen him since midseason last year with fulham, he actually went at defenders with the ball! and beas looks like he is getting back to fitness, which is so key for them. i really think that any time tim howard is in goal that they are a threat, cuz i think you can argue he is top 3 right now in the world. i think not bringing altidore and adu wasnt a terrible decision, but if they win wednesday vs t and t and dont bring all the youngins in for the next three qualifiers and leave some guys that are struggling at the club level (johnson, beasley, dempsey, bradley) then i think we have a problem. im optimistic though, ugly wins are better then pretty ties.

I watched the Scotland game yesterday. What a shocker, they players didn't even turn up! My early suspicions that Burley was not the right man look to be sadly coming true. If we don't beat Iceland on Wednesday I think we are pretty much out of it. :club:

Blah, I was wasted watching the game so don't really remember much of it. I didn't hold much hope for going there and coming back with 3 points. Macedonia are a decent side, as England and Holland have both found out so its not a surprise. What was dissapointing was the way we lost, there was no invention and we barely created a chance. Stonewall penalty though.If we don't beat Iceland on Wednesday then I don't hold out much hope for us.

Ireland grinded out a 0-0 result against Montenegro. Looked more dangerous, but since we were away and pretty much terrible, I'll take it. We had a clear handball penalty but what will you do

The US actually looked dangerous on offense against T & T (music factory).Dempsey seems to be getting better and better and he has a good chemistry in the midfield with Donovan and Beasley. Getting Edu out of the lineup was good. However, putting Ching up front was a disaster. He cant keep possession, he cant finish easy chances and he is not dangerous shooting from outside 12 yards. I have NO idea what Coach Bradley is playing at with him in the line-up. If he is in there for important games, I am going to REALLY shake my fists at the tv screen. Adu, Altidore, Eddie Johnson, whoever. Anyone but Brian "useless" Ching.

• 5 weeks later...

Chris Iwelumo you absolute beauty! Scoring on his debut making him an instant Scottish hero! prick

Hmmm... could my interest in international football be returning?England seemingly applying themselves like professionals, and commiting to the national team 100%.Capello is clearly the best manager we've had for a very long time, and, most refreshing of all was hearing Ferdinand deem the pre-Capello era as a circus and criticise the WAG culture and celebrity nonsense. So good to hear that.

wooop! Ireland might actually beat Cyprus, 1 - 0 after 35 mins, hooooooold
Grinding out results! Trappatoni in the Juventus days 2-1, 1-0, 0-0. My favourite part was the 0-0 against Montenegro and the headline " Trappatoni delighted at draw"
Grinding out results! Trappatoni in the Juventus days 2-1, 1-0, 0-0. My favourite part was the 0-0 against Montenegro and the headline " Trappatoni delighted at draw"
Yea true, it's funny how far our expectations dropped at the end of the stan era.
Yea true, it's funny how far our expectations dropped at the end of the stan era.
Yea, I'm enjoying it more. Would have not been happy with this 3 years ago, now its good stuff
  • 5 months later...

Robbie Keane equalises in the last few minutes against Italy. We could have nicked it too if he didnt shin that ball.I reckon the sending off was a yellow card and the ref just overreacted from all the blood everywhere

After the embarrassment against Holland on Saturday, Scotland got a win against Iceland. I was there and it wasn't much to shout about but we are still in with a chance of a play off place.

• 5 months later...

Scotland won again yesterday, we might, just might, get in the playoffs. Just got the small matter of beating the Netherlands on Wednesday night!

USA did not look great against El Salvador but they got the W. The ref should be banned from ever calling another match. What an incompetent piece of shit.Argentina and Portugal are in very real danger of missing the World Cup. How weird would it be to have no Messi or Ronaldo at the WC?