Analysis Of Pocket Aces Versus Suited Connectors

By any chance, you people who believe 54s is a better hand than AA don't also happen to believe in intelligent design do you?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Umm....what sort of a game is this where I only get suited connectors and you only get Aces and basically, we just deal out the board??? I was talking in context of a real poker game...In a real poker game, say you have black AA UTG and you raise 4X BB and I flat with suited connectors. Flop comes 4-9-8 rainbow, you cbet pot and again I flat. Turn is a 5, putting a 2 flush out there. You can check and I will make a pot sized bet. Or you can bet and I will raise you. Either way, your hand is toast against my suited connectors. Can you see why suited connectors are so powerful???
Well sure, when you hit your hand they are very powerful. What about when the board comes A76 when you have 76? Or when that turn is not a 5 but a k?The point of my post was, everything is situational. If you play well with suited connectors, they will win you money. If you play well with pocket Aces, they will win you more money. You will lose big pots more frequently with pocket aces than with suited connectors, but will win smaller pots less frequently with suited connectors whan with AA. You can still occasionally win a big pot with AA, and still occasionally lose a big pot with suited connectors.As someone else said, we need to be fairly deep for calling a big pair with suited connectors for 4xBB to be worthwhile, and we need to be fairly certain we're stacking the big pair when we do hit our flop at least half the time, unless we're so deep that we're talking about a game that regularly plays 500BB+ deep.
AA is the biggest winner in my databases, no matter which variant of hold'em I play.I'd rather have K3o, though.
Id rather have that girl in your profile pic
I couldn't bring myself to read most of this stupidity but thinking in terms of outs isn't a bad idea.Lets say I have AhAd and you have 8s9s and the board is TsQs3h6d. You have 12 outs - 9 spades and 3 non-spade Js. How many outs do I have? If you said 2 you're pretty dumb. I have 32 outs. Any of the 44 unknown cards besides the 9 spades and 3 Js. I have more outs. I win.
:club:
Well sure, when you hit your hand they are very powerful. What about when the board comes A76 when you have 76? Or when that turn is not a 5 but a k?
If that happens, so be it. It's really quite rare, so for the purpose of my analysis I will ignore it.
If that happens, so be it. It's really quite rare, so for the purpose of my analysis I will ignore it.
LOL, ok just just ignore anything that refutes your analysis. Since thats clearly what it is. Wouldnt wanna stimulate any kind of intelligent discussion.Nothing to see here folks...move along :club:
With a flush draw, you have 9 outs. With a straight draw, you have 8 outs. And since occasionally, you can also win with a single pair or trips/fullhouse, you have another 6 outs. That makes a total of 23 outs with a suited connector.
These 23 "outs" make no sense. If you flop a draw, you are still a dog to beat aces.

The way you calculate your outs is ridiculous. You add anything that could give your suited connectors a straight or a flush and even trips or a fullhouse then you say pocket Aces only have 2 outs? You are calculating out from both hands in a totally different way.Beside, 23 outs is almost half the deck. I can't see how half the deck could help your hands more than any other

These 23 "outs" make no sense. If you flop a draw, you are still a dog to beat aces.
But poker is a game of outs, how many outs do you have with AA before the flop? 2.It may shock you to know that 67s has 23.It's undeniable
If I have AA though, and you raise me on the turn with a 3478 2 suit board, I can't always put you on suited connectors, sometimes you have a set. So that's like another 4 outs, bringing it up to like 29.
There are just sooo many boards where playing AA becomes scary when your oppponent can have any suited connector between 32s-AKs. You end up playing your Aces passively. So I agree with you that in terms of the raw "playing power" of suited connectors, they have like 29 outs or so. In the hands of a more skilled player, suited connectors shoot up in value even more
OK, even if you generously double the number of outs for Aces, you're still way behind the powerful 23 outs that suited connectors have.
Since when do outs matter when you're a huge favorite. . .

I'm interested in listening to your thoughts on this more and maybe see it in action, names on all sites and approximate times you'll be playing?

Aces have 2 outs preflop.76 spades has 29 out preflopNutz=2 outer and Marginal hand=Massive favorite?The amount of money you'll waste trying to catch a draw to crack the aces just isn't worth it unless you are deep stacked. If you got 76 and the flop come K 8 3, QJ9, 5 3 2, etc. I REALLY doubt you're gonna come out a winner. The reason Aces are losers for some is because they get overplayed in spots postflop and onward where good players would know to fold. You can't overplay aces preflop. Suited connectors are hard to overplay postflop and onward cus if you miss, there's nothing there for you to stick around for. When you do hit against spew-tards, that's when they pay off. Good Luck playing suited connectors when 3 players open shove on ya, including me with the aces :club:

There are just sooo many boards where playing AA becomes scary when your oppponent can have any suited connector between 32s-AKs. You end up playing your Aces passively. So I agree with you that in terms of the raw "playing power" of suited connectors, they have like 29 outs or so. In the hands of a more skilled player, suited connectors shoot up in value even more
Now I know this must be a joke