Hey guysJust a general question here: (strictly tournament poker)When open raising, I have almost always raised to 3X the BB (if the BB is 20, I make it 60 to go)...and I will add an extra BB for every limper in front of me. 1. Does anyone change the size of their raises from different positions? (not talking about blinds). If so, then why? 2. Does anyone always raise to 4X or 5X? If so, then why? 3. How about re-raises? Any rules there? 4. Any differences between MTT or single table SNGs? *for simplicity, assume I have NO reads on anyone at my table. Comments appreciated.

1. Yes. Because alot of the time from different positions a lesser or bigger bet will be enough get them to fold. For instance, since EP raisers generally have a stronger hand, a lesser bet will be enough to get people to fold.2) Only in the early stages of a tourney with a big hand. Because at this stage you are most likely going to get called. and 3X 4X and 5X are all still small.3) Make it more than double what the previous bet was.4) More tables.

You should always bet the same size preflop, varying the size of your bets is a mistake and gives away information on your hands preflop....I always raise 2.5x, except for the first two levels, in which case its 3x. The size of the reraise is generally dependent on the pot size, but usually 3x the original bet is a good raise, thats assuming you have more than 15ish bets. If you have 15 bets or less, you should just be reshoving over any bets.

You should always bet the same size preflop, varying the size of your bets is a mistake and gives away information on your hands preflop....
Only if you vary your bets the same way for different hands each time. If you mix it up, it makes no difference.I play it pretty much the same way as Wingman. I'll make larger raises with big hands early in tourneys and I will often raise slightly larger from early position.
Hey guysJust a general question here: (strictly tournament poker)When open raising, I have almost always raised to 3X the BB (if the BB is 20, I make it 60 to go)...and I will add an extra BB for every limper in front of me. 1. Does anyone change the size of their raises from different positions? (not talking about blinds). If so, then why? Yes. I generally limp or raise less from earlier positions because from tight players they still get respect and vs loose re-raisers you can get out more cheaply. I don't understand any rationale for raising MORE from an earlier position jmb.2. Does anyone always raise to 4X or 5X? If so, then why? Other than specific stack related reasons Ive never seen a good reason to raise more.3. How about re-raises? Any rules there? I will never re-raise less than a pot size raise except with a monster thats trying to induce a push. Less than a pot size re-raise risks multiple callers and gives odds too favorable to fold out most raisers, and FE is something Im looking for with a re-raise.4. Any differences between MTT or single table SNGs? Not as much variation because all hands are being played faster and there isnt much limping/min-betting after the first couple of rounds because there arent sufficient implied odds for speculative hands.*for simplicity, assume I have NO reads on anyone at my table. Comments appreciated.

Yes. I generally limp or raise less from earlier positions because from tight players they still get respect and vs loose re-raisers you can get out more cheaply. I don't understand any rationale for raising MORE from an earlier position jmb.A reasonable argument is that with so many people behind you, raising to 4X limits the chances that you're going to get a chain of callers behind you. If you raise to 3X, UTG+1 might call with a hand he would have folded for 1BB more, and then it has a knock on effect as others call as well. With less players behind you, this effect is lessened greatly.Not saying that I do raise more from EP, but that's a decent argument imo.

Yes. I generally limp or raise less from earlier positions because from tight players they still get respect and vs loose re-raisers you can get out more cheaply. I don't understand any rationale for raising MORE from an earlier position jmb.A reasonable argument is that with so many people behind you, raising to 4X limits the chances that you're going to get a chain of callers behind you. If you raise to 3X, UTG+1 might call with a hand he would have folded for 1BB more, and then it has a knock on effect as others call as well. With less players behind you, this effect is lessened greatly.Not saying that I do raise more from EP, but that's a decent argument imo.
maybe at very small stakes. At higher buy ins more than 2 players flatting an EP raise almost never happens in a tourney, if theres that much interest someone will reraise. In cash games higher EP raises helps to limit the big hand hunters who will call 3x raises fairly liberally.
maybe at very small stakes. At higher buy ins more than 2 players flatting an EP raise almost never happens in a tourney, if theres that much interest someone will reraise. In cash games higher EP raises helps to limit the big hand hunters who will call 3x raises fairly liberally.
Which is exactly where I play. I hate raising 3BB with QQ and ending up with 3 or 4 callers behind. Usually once you get a caller that's enough of an invitation for the button and at least one of the blinds to come along for the ride. So I make my EP raises just a bit bigger to prevent that from happening.

1. I'll adjust the size of the PF raise to suit the table, to suit what I'm trying to accomplish and/or to add flexibility postflop... but I won't actively vary it from hand to hand as some form of FPS-esque deception, and would not advise such an approach.2. In some MTTs I'll make 4xBB a standard raise, especially in the early stages when a 3xBB raise gets little more respect than a limp. Such raises are usually for value, not fold equity, except in particular situations.3. I usually make pot-sized re-raises, and only for fold equity or with hands I am willing to stack off with. Min-reraises or standard sized reraises are silly IMO, as they invite calls from wider ranges and only bloat the pot while inviting villains to outdraw our reraise-worthy hand. Generally, I'm looking to see a flop when open raising, raising limpers or calling a standard raise.4. The only difference in approaches IMO is the obvious one: that shorthanded tactics come into play much earlier in STTs. How I approach PF raises relative to stack sizes and blinds doesn't really change.

1. Does anyone change the size of their raises from different positions? (not talking about blinds). If so, then why?Yes. I know some people say raise the same amount every hand to not give off info but I think in the lower level sngs not many people are picking up that much info from your actions. In the early levels when blinds are 10/20 ect im much more likely to make it 5x or 6x preflop with hands like big pocket pairs that dont play well in multiway pots. At levels like the $6 level people will call a raise to 60 almost as often as they limp, which in level 1 is almost every hand. If your in ep with jj and get 6 callers ur pretty much only praying for your jack. But if you make it 5 or 6x and your get 1 or 2 callers (which you still will because players at this level see that you raised to 100 or 120...not 5x or 6x...They just compare the amount to the % that it makes up of their stack) you can play the hand normally.2. Does anyone always raise to 4X or 5X? If so, then why?No. Especially when blinds are big your going to be risking most of your stack. Also, you wont get called enough.3. How about re-raises? Any rules there?No. Switch it up. Dont only reraise with AA-QQ and AK.4. Any differences between MTT or single table SNGs?Yes. Your at a full table most of the time.