Exactly. I'm all about being able to make a choice for yourself. So sad that government wants to take that away from everyone.
you realize that the reason Pro Lifer's don't want women to have the choice is because we believe it infringes on the "choice" of the unbornThe fact you are not Pro Life strongly implies you don't think human life begins in the womb. True?Thus imo, the argument Copernicus made is still valid
  • Replies 865
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you realize that the reason Pro Lifer's don't want women to have the choice is because we believe it infirnges on the "choice" of the unbornThe fact you are not Pro Life strongly implies you don't think human life begins in the womb. True?Thus imo, the argument Copernicus made is still valid
No, not necessarily. The reason I am pro choice is because I don't know, and despite not being likely to encourage my special lady friend to have an abortion because I'm not willing to gamble on being "wrong" (especially since we have had our first now and witnessed the whole process), I don't think it's appropriate to tell other people how to behave in this instance.
No, not necessarily. The reason I am pro choice is because I don't know, and despite not being likely to encourage my special lady friend to have an abortion because I'm not willing to gamble on being "wrong" (especially since we have had our first now and witnessed the whole process), I don't think it's appropriate to tell other people how to behave in this instance.
Do you have an opinion on whether or not the gov't should have laws against murdering 28 Yr old women for no particular reason?and to cut to the point of this riddle, isn't it better to error on the side of saving life, than on giving a choice?
I can tell you right now that's just not true.I'm proof of that. I have an opinion on it, and it has nothing to do with when life begins.
Ok...what is your opinion on abortion and how did you arrive at it. And if you were a legislator debating a bill on your position would you feel comfortable defending your position?
Actuary is carrying things the way I would, no need to repeat. I would point out here though that if you are reluctant to make a personal choice because you "may be wrong", it would be just as inappropriate for you to allow others to make that same choice because their being wrong means that you are allowing for the possibility of legal murder. (unless of course you do think murder is ok in specific circumstances).
It isnt an abortion debate per se, it is a "judgement" debate
just an A+ use of semantics...but ok. I still think the fact that McCain only met Palin once face to face before picking her is a bigger deal.and, for reference, a fetus becomes a human 88 days after conception. I have spoken!
Ok...what is your opinion on abortion and how did you arrive at it. And if you were a legislator debating a bill on your position would you feel comfortable defending your position?
My opinion is that it's not my choice to make.That should explain it self.
Actuary is carrying things the way I would, no need to repeat. I would point out here though that if you are reluctant to make a personal choice because you "may be wrong", it would be just as inappropriate for you to allow others to make that same choice because their being wrong means that you are allowing for the possibility of legal murder. (unless of course you do think murder is ok in specific circumstances).
I understand why you would say/think that, but I disagree.
My opinion is that it's not my choice to make.That should explain it self.
no. it doesn'tObviously it's no ones choice to make that isn't a Judge or legislatureBut staying with the spirit of the argument, do you also think you should not have the choice to outlaw murdering 5 yr olds?
no. it doesn'tObviously it's no ones choice to make that isn't a Judge or legislatureBut staying with the spirit of the argument, do you also think you should not have the choice to outlaw murdering 5 yr olds?
LOL... So Judges should make choices for us? Yeah... sounds reasonable.But to answer you, 5 year olds have thoughts and memories... <0's don't.
Do you have an opinion on whether or not the gov't should have laws against murdering 28 Yr old women for no particular reason?and to cut to the point of this riddle, isn't it better to error on the side of saving life, than on giving a choice?
I think I'm going to need the middle part of the riddle. How does murdering a 28 year old woman have anything to do with abortion? I consider myself Pro Choice (extremely rare for a Baptist!) because I don't think the government or anyone else should mandate what I do with MY body. And right or wrong, "I" will be the one to answer for it, so everyone else needs to stay out of my business.
just an A+ use of semantics...but ok. I still think the fact that McCain only met Palin once face to face before picking her is a bigger deal.and, for reference, a fetus becomes a human 88 days after conception. I have spoken!
I dont think one meeting is a big deal at all. He had a staff of people vetting the possible candidates, im sure he had a very extensive legislative dossier built, video of her speeches/debates and her rise in Alaska was certainly something he was very familiar with. A single face to face meeting to assess how someone comes across in person and how she responds to tough questions is sufficient at that point.
I dont think one meeting is a big deal at all. He had a staff of people vetting the possible candidates, im he sure had a very extensive legislative dossier built, video of her speeches/debates and her rise in Alaska was certainly something he was very familiar with. A single face to fact meeting to assess how someone comes across in person and how she responds to tough questions is sufficient at that point.
Defenses based on pure political bias are kinda funny.Not necessarily just on your end... it's just funny in general. Both sides do it.
LOL... So Judges should make choices for us? Yeah... sounds reasonable.But to answer you, 5 year olds have thoughts and memories... <0's don't.
my comments on the judges/legilatures was simply to remind you (I thought I was being rhetorical, guess not) that you do not have a choice on whether it is legal or notJudges do make those choices..Ok, at some age when thoughts and memories exist, you would be for making it illegal to kill, right?And since you do not know (or have an opinion) on when that age is, you think the curent law is ok? Yes?
my comments on the judges/legilatures was simply to remind you (I thought I was being rhetorical, guess not) that you do not have a choice on whether it is legal or notJudges do make those choices..Ok, at some age when thoughts and memories exist, you would be for making it illegal to kill, right?And since you do not know (or have an opinion) on when that age is, you think the curent law is ok? Yes?
Being legal doesn't make it right. That involves me having faith in the judges and legal system to correctly tell me what is right and wrong, and that's faith I just don't have. The current law is what, everything up until 3rd trimester? I think that works ok actually.
but by not imposing a choice on the woman, you dont deny that you might be imposing a legal death sentence on another human being.
Might be. A shame this is only an issue with unborn babies though.Would be nice to have legal death sentences to some living people.
I think I'm going to need the middle part of the riddle. How does murdering a 28 year old woman have anything to do with abortion? I consider myself Pro Choice (extremely rare for a Baptist!) because I don't think the government or anyone else should mandate what I do with MY body. And right or wrong, "I" will be the one to answer for it, so everyone else needs to stay out of my business.
because if you think killing a 28 yr old should be illegal, you problably think so because you have "detemined" that the person should have a right to life - and that the murderer should not have a choiceat some age, you take the rights from the mother away.
Defenses based on pure political bias are kinda funny.Not necessarily just on your end... it's just funny in general. Both sides do it.
There is no bias in my opinion. I wouldnt criticize BHO for a similar pick.
I dont think one meeting is a big deal at all. He had a staff of people vetting the possible candidates, im sure he had a very extensive legislative dossier built, video of her speeches/debates and her rise in Alaska was certainly something he was very familiar with. A single face to face meeting to assess how someone comes across in person and how she responds to tough questions is sufficient at that point.
How much can be in that legislative dossier? How many speeches and debates of significance could she possibly have been in? I think if you are going to pick someone a lot of informed citizens have literally never heard of until now you really need more than a single face to face meeting. I think anything less than multiple, prolonged face to face interactions is unacceptable for a choice of this magnitude. Especially considering Palin has a lot of current controversy hanging around her neck.of course, maybe it just lends more credence to the theory that Palin was forced on McCain since he would not pick Romney (the more logical choice) because McCain doesnt like Romney at all. The party leadership intervened and said fine but you cant pick Ridge or (shudder) Lieberman and make the religious right go ape-shit so pick Palin. I can just see the conversation. "She's young, she's an outsider and a reformer, you'll love her John. Plus, her conservative/religious credentials are impeccable and we might steal a few women voters."..... "Ok."
There is no bias in my opinion. I wouldnt criticize BHO for a similar pick.
You really would not have enjoyed a chuckle if Obama had made Tim Kaine his VP pick and made his campaign the "rookie all-stars" ticket? I would be surprised. John McCain has some upside from this kind of pick. Obama making this kind of pick would be suicide. Honestly, I think you could and should make the argument that Obama could not and should not have made a similar pick. It would not be biased to think that imo.
Being legal doesn't make it right. That involves me having faith in the judges and legal system to correctly tell me what is right and wrong, and that's faith I just don't have. The current law is what, everything up until 3rd trimester? I think that works ok actually.
judges dont make the law, they interpret it. Its legislators, who are elected by you and your peers, who tell you what is right and wrong. Its not a matter of faith, but one of ceding your individual beliefs to those of society as a whole. Which, of course, is the only way any society can function.Ok...WHY does "everything up until 3rd trimester" work ok? (That isnt the law, actually, but youve picked it as ok at that point)