Dont Get Involved In Coaching Youth Sports

Please don't say soccer. Please don't say soccer.
Why, what's wrong with coaching soccer? :(I helped out coaching 11-12year old kids in my town club for a while and I loved it...sure can be kinda annoying, it's something you need to enjoy if you wanna be any good...I had a lot of fun
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

id coach a high school womens volleyball team.....
Trust me... it aint worth the drama.Same with the softball girls.I coached girls softball for a few years and the chants they use during a tourney will drive you insane. I could not sleep at night after a long tourney... hearing those friggin chants.True story: I notice my short stop is crying...I call time out...go find out why. She tells me to leave her alone... nothing is wrong... just go away.What the hell.... her mom comes to the dugout..tells me "Kaycie started". My reply... "Of course she started...she starts every game. She's the best player on the team".*pause*"OH...Started!"The joys of coaching 13 year olds girls.
Trust me... it aint worth the drama.True story: I notice my short stop is crying...I call time out...go find out why. She tells me to leave her alone... nothing is wrong... just go away.What the hell.... her mom comes to the dugout..tells me "Kaycie started". My reply... "Of course she started...she starts every game. She's the best player on the team".*pause*"OH...Started!"The joys of coaching 13 year olds girls.
you are so insensitve!monster
Why, what's wrong with coaching soccer? :(I helped out coaching 11-12year old kids in my town club for a while and I loved it...sure can be kinda annoying, it's something you need to enjoy if you wanna be any good...I had a lot of fun
No respect for the soccer weenies! :club:
Not that good, but we have a few backs with speed. But honestly, our guys arent on par with the best in the league. The best teams in the league will beat us by 40 - 50 points. Mainly because our entire O-line is 7th graders in a 7th and 8th grade league. The best teams are all 8th graders, like we will be next year.Are QB is a 7th grader too.
A-11 offense, man. That will teach those fuckers.
LLY, I'll put it like this. And this happened to me and my brother over the summer, ruining baseball season.Lets say that I was your Uncle (you are me) and your little brothers Godfather. Now lets say that we are working on a complex physics problem. Now I am in charge, despite knowing nothing about physics (baseball) and you are my assitant who I give meaningless responsibility too. Now lets say you start to take over, and I feel marginalized. Well obviously, I, your Uncle will kick you off the caching staff and your brother off the team saying that you werent putting the team first. Thats youth sports.I wont even go into whats happening during football.But thats a true story. My "Uncle", who was married to my Fathers sister, and is my little brothers Godfather, kicked my brother off of a baseball team started by he and my dad 4 years ago.THAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED. Thats youth sports. Nothing but raging ego.
I would have never guessed you lived in the back mountains of West Virginia.BeardedGuySayGoodPost.jpgSeriously , you are the man. It is indeed a thankless job but you are positively impacting lives forever.Bravo sir. :club:
Trust me... it aint worth the drama.Same with the softball girls.I coached girls softball for a few years and the chants they use during a tourney will drive you insane. I could not sleep at night after a long tourney... hearing those friggin chants.True story: I notice my short stop is crying...I call time out...go find out why. She tells me to leave her alone... nothing is wrong... just go away.What the hell.... her mom comes to the dugout..tells me "Kaycie started". My reply... "Of course she started...she starts every game. She's the best player on the team".*pause*"OH...Started!"The joys of coaching 13 year olds girls.
Hahaha that's awesome on so many levels...
yeah being a ref in youth sports is really bad too. I was a ref in hockey for 12 and under and the parents are horrible. They are definatly not shy on there word use around the kids lol.
I reffed kid basketball - parents heckled 8 year olds shooting free throws.
My daughter was playing basketball in high school and the assistant boys coach was moved to coach their team. One day during practise I asked him what was the biggest difference between coaching girl's and boy's. He said when a girl is mad at another girl, no matter how open, no matter how good, whatever, she won't pass her the ball.

I was a teacher/coach for 14 years, and then directed a church youth recreation league for 2 years. I could write a book in this thread.Here's one story:I volunteered to help out with a Fall baseball league one year. This was a very informal instructional league. No uniforms, no paid umpires, no scoreboard, etc... It was set up just to help kids get better and prepare for the Spring/Summer. I didn't even have any of my students on the team. I did it just because I liked coaching.The coaches umpired the games. When it was my turn to call balls/strikes, I put on the chest protector and mask and got behind the plate (most coaches just stood behind the pitcher). As I was calling the game, I was getting heckled unmercifully by some bitch mother in the stands. She just wouldn't let up.Now normally, a paid umpire can't do much about this, but I was volunteering. When I finally had enough, I stopped play, walked over to the fence, and started taking off my equipment right in front of the lady on the other side. A coach from the other team came running over and asked, "What's going on?". I replied (loudly enough for everyone to hear), "Either this lady can shut up or she can get behind the plate and make the calls herself."He looked at her, and then back at me, and said, "You won't have any more problems from her." I said OK, and went back to the game. I didn't hear another peep out of anybody the rest of the game.

He looked at her, and then back at me, and said, "You won't have any more problems from her." I said OK, and went back to the game. I didn't hear another peep out of anybody the rest of the game.
his wife, right?just making sure the reading comprehension is in tact

Despite the interferences of parents, a man with multiple personalties leads a group of rag-tag teens to the championship game. Coming to a theatre a couple of miles too far from you. This fall, from Disney, take your kids and be suckered into taking their friends without their parents for an awful afternoon of stickiness and smelliness in various places such as your car, the fast food restaurant and the movie theatre to see 'Multiple Head Coach'.

Despite the interferences of parents, a man with multiple personalties leads a group of rag-tag teens to the championship game. Coming to a theatre a couple of miles too far from you. This fall, from Disney, take your kids and be suckered into taking their friends without their parents for an awful afternoon of stickiness and smelliness in various places such as your car, the fast food restaurant and the movie theatre to see 'Multiple Head Coach'.
Dont forget the subplot where my rival sends his hot daughter over to spy on me and steal my playbook, but she falls in love with me. And I her. But then I find out who she is, I stupidly overreact and discount everything we feel for each other, but then in the Super Bowl she sits on my side of the field and we kiss after the game. Brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it.It ends with a firm handshake from my rival, who turns out to be my father. So the moral is, its okay to plugg your half sister if shes hot and you dont know.

Get ahold of this bullshit.http://www.wral.com/sports/baseball/mlb/story/3430734League tells 9-year-old he's too good to pitch By JOHN CHRISTOFFERSEN Associated Press WriterPosted: Today at 4:22 p.m. Updated: Today at 5:19 p.m.NEW HAVEN, Conn. — Nine-year-old Jericho Scott is a good baseball player - too good, it turns out. The right-hander has a fastball that tops out at about 40 mph.He throws so hard that the Youth Baseball League of New Haven told his coach that the boy could not pitch any more. When Jericho took the mound anyway last week, the opposing team forfeited the game, packed its gear and left, his coach said.Officials for the three-year-old league, which has eight teams and about 100 players, said they will disband Jericho's team, redistributing its players among other squads, and offered to refund $50 sign-up fees to anyone who asks for it. They say Jericho's coach, Wilfred Vidro, has resigned.But Vidro says he didn't quit and the team refuses to disband. Players and parents held a protest at the league's field on Saturday urging the league to let Jericho pitch."He's never hurt any one," Vidro said. "He's on target all the time. How can you punish a kid for being too good?"The controversy bothers Jericho, who says he misses pitching."I feel sad," he said. "I feel like it's all my fault nobody could play."Jericho's coach and parents say the boy is being unfairly targeted because he turned down an invitation to join the defending league champion, which is sponsored by an employer of one of the league's administrators.Jericho instead joined a team sponsored by Will Power Fitness. The team was 8-0 and on its way to the playoffs when Jericho was banned from pitching."I think it's discouraging when you're telling a 9-year-old you're too good at something," said his mother, Nicole Scott. "The whole objective in life is to find something you're good at and stick with it. I'd rather he spend all his time on the baseball field than idolizing someone standing on the street corner."League attorney Peter Noble says the only factor in banning Jericho from the mound is his pitches are just too fast."He is a very skilled player, a very hard thrower," Noble said. "There are a lot of beginners. This is not a high-powered league. This is a developmental league whose main purpose is to promote the sport."Noble acknowledged that Jericho had not beaned any batters in the co-ed league of 8- to 10-year-olds, but say parents expressed safety concerns."Facing that kind of speed" is frighteneing for beginning players, Noble said.League officials say they first told Vidro that the boy could not pitch after a game on Aug. 13. Jericho played second base the next game on Aug. 16. But when he took the mound Wednesday, the other team walked off and a forfeit was called.League officials say Jericho's mother became irate, threatening them and vowing to get the league shut down."I have never seen behavior of a parent like the behavior Jericho's mother exhibited Wednesday night," Noble said.Scott denies threatening any one, but said she did call the police.League officials suggested that Jericho play other positions, or pitch against older players or in a different league.Local attorney John Williams was planning to meet with Jericho's parents Monday to discuss legal options."You don't have to be learned in the law to know in your heart that it's wrong," he said. "Now you have to be punished because you excel at something?"