Live - $60+$15 Buyin

This was a live $60+$15 tourney that had played about 20 hands.The Hero had completed the SB once and then folded the flop and folded the BB after the flop.The Villain had been playing roughly 50% of the hands, with lots of bets and raises that looked like steals.Blinds are 25/50Button Villian (t3200)BB Hero (t1800)Preflop: Hero is BB with AQs (spades)All fold to villain (button), villain raises to 150, hero calls.Flop: (t325) 5s, 7h, Qc (2 players)Hero checks, Villain bets t250, Hero raises to t750, Villain pushes all-in.Pot is t2,225Hero has t900 leftWhat would you do here?

As played, leaving yourself with 900, do you really have any other option? Surely you re-raise with the intention of getting it in. I don't see myself ever letting this go with so little left, especially with those reads.Edit: what kind of structure is it?

This shouldn't even be a question dude. You call. You have half your stack committed already...and you are ahead of most of his range (KQ, KJ, KT, 22+, etc)..the only hands that crush you that he may have 55, 77, QQ, KK, or AA.

Shove preflop. AQ wants to see all 5 streets and you don't want that pesky BB to come with you. You are crushing buttons range. If he has absolute crap, which he could at this point, he might fold. If he calls, you are more than likely racing or way ahead.

Shove preflop. AQ wants to see all 5 streets and you don't want that pesky BB to come with you. You are crushing buttons range. If he has absolute crap, which he could at this point, he might fold. If he calls, you are more than likely racing or way ahead.
You only get called by hands you lose to and it devalues AQ with hands you dominate folding. Stacks are too deep to push here with >30 bbs.

To answer everyone's question, I thought about it for a minute and then called. He turned over AA and it held up. I'm guessing that I just ran into the one good hand that he actually had. He just had the appearance of someone who was trying to run over the table (gold chains, pinkie rings, long straggly hair - he looked like a gambler you would see in a movie) and I highly doubt his cards were running that hot. In any case, I couldn't see how I fold here, I just wanted to know if anyone else had a different opinion.

25% rake on a tournament = -EVTry and find a tournament with a better rake (if possible...) I know some states/provinces require tournaments to be run by/for charities, which tends to lead to ridiculously large rakes.As for the hand in question, as played, you should call. I recommend 3-betting preflop from the BB versus a button PFR who has been playing/raising 50% of the hands (granted it is a small sample size...)

As for the hand in question, as played, you should call. I recommend 3-betting preflop from the BB versus a button PFR who has been playing/raising 50% of the hands
It depends on what his post-flop play is like. If he can be counted on to be aggro on the flop I would think you would want to see a lot of flops against him, and hammer him when you have a big edge, instead of pressing him PF where youre unlikely to dominate. Its a much lower variance strategy against a LAGtard, though maybe more appropriate to deep stack cash than a tourney.
It depends on what his post-flop play is like. If he can be counted on to be aggro on the flop I would think you would want to see a lot of flops against him, and hammer him when you have a big edge, instead of pressing him PF where youre unlikely to dominate. Its a much lower variance strategy against a LAGtard, though maybe more appropriate to deep stack cash than a tourney.
My personal experience with small buy-in live tournaments is that even in the beginning, your M is low and the blinds rise fast (eg: every 15 - 20 minutes). If this is the case, I am happy to just hammer the LAG-tards preflop when OOP. Even without a read on my opponent, I prefer 3-betting AQ when facing a button steal in a fast-paced blind tournament.

Against villains like these in live tourneys, you should try calling their raises with position, especially on the button, with any reasonable hand. Call a standard bet on the flop regardless of what flops, and see what villain does on the turn.Loose aggressive villains like this bet and raise frequently because they know most players are nitty, require good cards to call raises and require hard-hit flops to call c-bets, and thus players won't play back at them without a hand. This is why such villains are able to build big stacks and cash: people always play their cards, and no one catches hands often enough for villain's aggression to be -EV.Often, when you call a villain's raise in position and call a c-bet, villain will shut down unless he has a hand himself. A c-bet on the turn or river will usually take the pot from him unless he's very, very aggressive. Play back at him like this a couple times and he'll cool his jets, especially against you.In this hand, you just ran into a cooler. But that often happens against such a villain when you're holding out for premium cards to play back with. You either take down a small pot when he's got nothing, or you get stacked in a big one when he's got a hand too.

Except for being oop and AQ will still miss the flop 2/3 of the time and you're still playing oop post flop. Vs a Lag playing that high % I want to slow him down preflop and make it expensive to challenge my blinds at will! In this hand had Hero re-raised to 450 and villian re-raised again or shoved, hero would have had a chance to escape the cooler. Most lags don't have the courage to play weaker hands to a re-raise but even those few that do will get the message you're not going to let him run you over without a fight.

I would have shoved over his 250 flop bet.I doubt he has KK. AQ seems likely. Personally, I think he's shoving with air and is a fckn idiot.He had AA lol...Oh, well, bad timing.