Official Michael Phelps Gold Medal Thread

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad I was able to watch it live.How many swimming gold medals are given out? Include both men and women, and inlcude the four that are given out to the relay teams.
There's more than 4 given to the relay teams, but in the medal counts relays count as a single medal. But overall, 26*3 (+ties, there was one yesterday) + 6*4 (+prelim swimmers)

the most amazing part which the announcers have talked about... is not him being the best in so many events.... its him being able to maintain his speed while competing in so many events on one competition. I remember when I swam at larger meets I was dead on day 3 or 4 while swimming 1 or 2 events a day. He has 17 events over 8 days I think... he should be dead in the water right now but he is still getting world records.

the most amazing part which the announcers have talked about... is not him being the best in so many events.... its him being able to maintain his speed while competing in so many events on one competition. I remember when I swam at larger meets I was dead on day 3 or 4 while swimming 1 or 2 events a day. He has 17 events over 8 days I think... he should be dead in the water right now but he is still getting world records.
What is the difference between a high school kid at a big swim meet and a world class athlete with the best trainers, doctors, nutritionists, and equipment?I forget the answer.....Edit: I am not saying the feat isn't amazing, I am saying your comment about him being dead in the water is rediculous.
What is the difference between a high school kid at a big swim meet and a world class athlete with the best trainers, doctors, nutritionists, and equipment?I forget the answer.....Edit: I am not saying the feat isn't amazing, I am saying your comment about him being dead in the water is rediculous.
I'm sure you're and expert on the issue. (sw) I actually swam for a D1 college and had trainers, doctors, coaches, etc. No nutritionist though. No way in hell Phelps has a nutritionist, look up online at the shitload of stuff he eats. He swims so much that he can eat anything. Dara Torres is the only swimmer with that huge of a crew surrounding her.Rowdy Gaines one of the announcers and a former olympian was also talking about how amazing it was that he swims so many events. He talks about this every single time he is in the water. I'll take your insight over a former olympians though. sw againThere are few people in the world aside from him and Katie Hoff who can swim such a program in one competition and be at the top of their game at the end of the meet.
I'm sure you're and expert on the issue. (sw) I actually swam for a D1 college and had trainers, doctors, coaches, etc. No nutritionist though. No way in hell Phelps has a nutritionist, look up online at the shitload of stuff he eats. He swims so much that he can eat anything. Dara Torres is the only swimmer with that huge of a crew surrounding her.Rowdy Gaines one of the announcers and a former olympian was also talking about how amazing it was that he swims so many events. He talks about this every single time he is in the water. I'll take your insight over a former olympians though. sw againThere are few people in the world aside from him and Katie Hoff who can swim such a program in one competition and be at the top of their game at the end of the meet.
If he can't be an ass then neither can you. Hypocrite.Edit: haha, you edited that part out. ooops
If he can't be an ass then neither can you. Hypocrite.Edit: haha, you edited that part out. ooops
just giving him a taste of his own medicine... and yea I caught myself being extra douchy so I decided to edit that part out.
Edit: I am not saying the feat isn't amazing, I am saying your comment about him being dead in the water is rediculous.
There are few people in the world aside from him and Katie Hoff who can swim such a program in one competition and be at the top of their game at the end of the meet.
I'm actually with the Cowboy on this one-Phelps' event schedule is impressive but allows him to not have to focus on a single event at a time. Everyone talks about his level of focus for each event-the fact that he doesn't have to go home and stew or celebrate for days on end about the previous races allows him a level of freedom.Additionally, being dead in multi-day meets is a function of having not trained for multi-day meets. Our conference had prelims and finals for all relays, most of which were competitive, so I always had 12 or 13 swims for my 7 events depending on which lineup I did, with only 2 relaxed ones each meet. It's just something you train for-the ability to recover between swims and at night is a skill that can be honed and developed.Additionally, you don't see an athlete like Manaudou (who is arguably undertrained) complain about being unable to complete a multi-day meet, like last year at Worlds in the 800. This leads me to believe that Rowdy and whoever else is overestimating the impressiveness of this fact.

I'm not saying it isn't possible to swim great at a multi-day meet. Maybe my point of view was different because I was doing all distance events.But not slowing down one beat and being able to maintain world record speed day after day is the most amazing feat to me.

I'm not saying it isn't possible to swim great at a multi-day meet. Maybe my point of view was different because I was doing all distance events.But not slowing down one beat and being able to maintain world record speed day after day is the most amazing feat to me.
I think doing it in different events is the more impressive part, rather than the quantity of races.And I don't want to hear "distance swimmer" as being the defense sir since during my college years I did 200 free relay + either 500 or 200im the first day, 200 medley relay + 400 im + 800 free relay the second day, and then 1650 + 400 free relay the third day.Although my junior year I did 2fly because I got tired of getting crushed in the mile by the same kid.
I think doing it in different events is the more impressive part, rather than the quantity of races.And I don't want to hear "distance swimmer" as being the defense sir since during my college years I did 200 free relay + either 500 or 200im the first day, 200 medley relay + 400 im + 800 free relay the second day, and then 1650 + 400 free relay the third day.Although my junior year I did 2fly because I got tired of getting crushed in the mile by the same kid.
I always was pissed at having to do 200 back in morning 1500 free in afternoon then 200 back again right after 1500. Sometimes relay after. And I will use it as a defense because it freakin pissed me off, if you never were tired at the end of meets then kudos to you.I hate to say it but I am getting tired of the swimming though. The announcers say the same exact shit every time. If I here "California Cool" one more time I'm going to be very angry at Dan Hicks.
I always was pissed at having to do 200 back in morning 1500 free in afternoon then 200 back again right after 1500. Sometimes relay after. And I will use it as a defense because it freakin pissed me off, if you never were tired at the end of meets then kudos to you.
That is a tough combo. But I wasn't saying that I was never tired at the end of meets, I was just saying that you all (along with the announcers, and whoever) take it to the extreme.
I'm no expert on the issue, but I don't think you know that much more about the caliber of an olympic athlete than I do, even if you used to splash around in a pool.Rowdy Gaines is a former olympian... from 1984. You don't think we've progressed in our training, conditioning, and recovery techniques since then?Announcers and former olympians are paid to hype everything on TV. Again that sounds like I don't think what he is doing is amazing, but If he were to swim 2-200 fly's back to back with a 30 minute break in between, his times would be very close to each other.And thank you for removing whatever nasty comment you made, I am fragile.