Learning To See Straight Draws

Hey guys, I did search for this topic but couldn't find anything :)One place I'm weak at the moment is the ability to spot straight draws on the flop. I try at the moment (hard to explain, basically I look and run a few hands through my head).I'm sure there's a better way (eg, "ok these numbers are within 4 of each other).There is probably a correct way to spot them, but I'd love any advice. Much thanks.

Play a little low-stakes Omaha. You'll get a lot of practice fast.

I don't think that there are any real tricks, except for to just 'look harder'. If I were you, I would write a sticky note with hands that you regularly forget to look for and attach it to your wall or the side of your monitor. Always look at it before making your decision, and it should help to ingrain the process of looking for those sort of hands each time.Just don't forget about the sets as you try and spot those straights.

I'm sure there's a better way (eg, "ok these numbers are within 4 of each other).
That should work just fine! Seriously, you're just looking for cards close in sequence and then quickly run through the potential draws that they might create. Best way to learn? Take a real deck of cards and practice dealing out flops. In time you'll get faster and faster at reading the board.
That should work just fine! Seriously, you're just looking for cards close in sequence and then quickly run through the potential draws that they might create. Best way to learn? Take a real deck of cards and practice dealing out flops. In time you'll get faster and faster at reading the board.
double gut shots are even harder to spot. There was a thread with a "spot the nuts" quiz link that can help.
I don't think that there are any real tricks, except for to just 'look harder'. If I were you, I would write a sticky note with hands that you regularly forget to look for and attach it to your wall or the side of your monitor. Always look at it before making your decision, and it should help to ingrain the process of looking for those sort of hands each time.Just don't forget about the sets as you try and spot those straights.
this is a great tip. just remember to turn the sticky note sideways before writing on it if you're going to stick it to the side of your monitor, otherwise you don't get the full advantage of all the sticky. also, use a sharp pencil.

Please tell me OP's not playing hold'em.Although, I will say that I've played so much PLO that if I have say A8 on a 654 board, I really have to think to remember that I have a gutshot since I don't have to play 2 cards from my hand.

Wear these special goggles:4418.jpgWith these goggles on, you can easily spot all hidden straight draws.

Err I know if -I- have a straight draw. But I'm basically looking to see which possible cards could make a straight. The 'two cards within 4' seems to work for me. Three cards within '5' are required for a straight, so really that's what I'm going to use.And what if it is a prob in Hold'em ? It's frequently said straight draws are harder to see than flush draws, and I'm aware it was a slight weakness in my game. Just seeing if anyone has any useful advice, some useful, some childish lol. I'm new here so I'll /shrug