Opinions On Softest Stars Cash Games

Okay, it only took 3 (losing) sessions of Razz for me to reach a final decision: this game is idiotic. Unless it's part of a mixed game, I don't want anything to do with it. Razz cash is just painful. I've had enough of watching everyone else's hand improve while mine deteriorates with each card. The final straw was finally hitting a nice A-7 hand and having it lose to the nuts.

LOL, just experimented with 8-game playing a play money STT and took it down baby! Even though it was play money it was quite a mental challenge - had to keep referring back to the rules to remind me how to play each game. One of these days I'll try a $3 8-game SnG and see how it plays. The cash game limits are too high for me.What would you guys say is the easiest game to become good at? Razz?
Easily, the easiest game to make some easy money......easy.Just give your opponent credit for an A2 in the hole or whatever makes them their nut low with the board showing and play off that. It is a very simple way to learn the game.

Definitely an interesting idea, shark, I'll give it a try. I seem to be losing my money in Razz in two situations: (1) hands that start off great and I chase on a few streets before letting them go, sometimes calling down to the end and missing; and (2) chasing good but non-nut low draws for a couple of streets. Your strategy would definitely help with the 2nd situation, but I can't figure out how to avoid the first. Perhaps I need to get better at keeping track of live and dead cards.

Used your approach at a .04/.08 Razz table last night, Shark. Definitely helps with the discipline but I still can't figure out how to actually make a profit at this game. I've played 4 sessions and have yet to book a winner. Was down 1/2 a buyin last night before finally making a good chunk of it back on a couple of strong hands.

Used your approach at a .04/.08 Razz table last night, Shark. Definitely helps with the discipline but I still can't figure out how to actually make a profit at this game. I've played 4 sessions and have yet to book a winner. Was down 1/2 a buyin last night before finally making a good chunk of it back on a couple of strong hands.
i am going take a wild guess here. you know enough about poker to be getting value on your hands. you don't know all the little nuances of razz and when to make thin raises on 4th and 5th and how to use the dead cards to figure out when people paired, but to beat the low games you don't need to know that stuff.put more effort into reading people's hands. the tendency in this game is i have a draw to an 8 i am going to draw to the river with it. every hand where you put in bets past 5th look to see how many outs you were drawing to and if you had odds. any hand where you found yourself drawing dead for big bets you better have had a good reason to think you were drawing live. im no razz expert but thats just my guess. i would never play this game assuming that everybody had a2 in the hole. there is so much information available in stud games that processing that information better than your opponent gives you a huge edge even if you lack some fundamental knowledge of the game.
i am going take a wild guess here. you know enough about poker to be getting value on your hands. you don't know all the little nuances of razz and when to make thin raises on 4th and 5th and how to use the dead cards to figure out when people paired, but to beat the low games you don't need to know that stuff.put more effort into reading people's hands. the tendency in this game is i have a draw to an 8 i am going to draw to the river with it. every hand where you put in bets past 5th look to see how many outs you were drawing to and if you had odds. any hand where you found yourself drawing dead for big bets you better have had a good reason to think you were drawing live. im no razz expert but thats just my guess. i would never play this game assuming that everybody had a2 in the hole. there is so much information available in stud games that processing that information better than your opponent gives you a huge edge even if you lack some fundamental knowledge of the game.
My problem isn't drawing to the end when I don't have the outs, I think I actually have a pretty good handle on determining when I have enough live cards to draw to. My problem has been hands that start off with good enough potential to call a couple of streets but quickly turn to crap. When you factor in the antes and bring-ins it's amazing how you can steadily bleed chips like that.That said, let's keep in mind that my sample is a grand total of 4 hours of single-table play...
It is just an easy way for a beginner to get a feel for where they could be at in a hand. Obviously the board possibly pairing hole cards is a little bit beyond "assuming a2"