Building A Bankroll

That is a very good article. And makes me feel better about the limits I play - "Unprotected" FTMFW!
Why not stick $500 in your account and give yourself a chance?
Because he would just play higher limits and go busto anyway.
Precisely why he keeps going busto. Personally I have no interest in offering helpful advice to someone who hasn't or isn't willing to take ownership of his mistakes.
Clearly I don't know, thats why I was posting asking for advice. I have more money I could afford to put on the site, but until I become more disciplined in my bankroll management, whats the point of putting more money on there? As someone quoted, I'll probably go busto if I do that. I'd rather start small.And as for me supposedly not being one to own up to my mistakes?? Obviously you are an idiot since I'm on this forum seeking advice so that I can do precisely that. Correct the mistakes in my game and my philosophy towards it. You probably arent willing to offer any advice because you don't have any advice to offer. My guess, your just another pathetic degenerate who makes themselves feel better by coming into threads and posting useless replies that in no way contributes to the topic, instead of working on your own game.Back on topic, I understand that $25 is short of what I need to play the .05/.10 game, but you have to start somewhere and thats the lowest NLHE limit on FTP, which is the site I prefer. But I'm going to try and grind out the $1 sngs until I have around $75 and then start at the .05/.10. Thanks for all of the advice and helpful articles.
sell off all your assets and put it all on black at roulette, if you win you got an instant bankroll and if you lose....welltj_cloutier_profile.jpg
Don't be silly, you're supposed to put it all on red not black.
Clearly I don't know, thats why I was posting asking for advice. I have more money I could afford to put on the site, but until I become more disciplined in my bankroll management, whats the point of putting more money on there? As someone quoted, I'll probably go busto if I do that. I'd rather start small.And as for me supposedly not being one to own up to my mistakes?? Obviously you are an idiot since I'm on this forum seeking advice so that I can do precisely that. Correct the mistakes in my game and my philosophy towards it. You probably arent willing to offer any advice because you don't have any advice to offer. My guess, your just another pathetic degenerate who makes themselves feel better by coming into threads and posting useless replies that in no way contributes to the topic, instead of working on your own game.Back on topic, I understand that $25 is short of what I need to play the .05/.10 game, but you have to start somewhere and thats the lowest NLHE limit on FTP, which is the site I prefer. But I'm going to try and grind out the $1 sngs until I have around $75 and then start at the .05/.10. Thanks for all of the advice and helpful articles.
Good luck! It is possible to build your bankroll from $25; it will just start slow and you will need a little luck in the beginning while you are under-rolled. The sooner you are actually properly rolled for a given SNG level or for a given cash game limit, the better. The articles posted in this thread have some solid advice in them, read them and heed them.

Easiest question ever.Microstakes LHE. The variance isn't quite as sharp and the games are retarded soft. Yes, it requires discipline, you cannot overplay or underplay your hands, be prepared for an assload of horrible bad beats since no one ever folds. You have to shake the idea that "meh, it's only a nickel, I'll call for that" or "I have an ace, I call", but overall, I'm convinced that anyone with a reasonable amount of discipline who doesn't totally suck at poker* can beat these games and build a starting microstakes roll. Also, it's a fantastic primer on how to beat shitty players, which, believe it or not, is a skill set that you will still use at the higher levels. I'm presently teaching my girl how to play teh poka and this is where I started her. She doubled her initial $25 to $50 in a couple days playing a generally TAG game at microstakes LHE. I also taught her what to look for in table stats as far as game selection and how to adjust and take advantage of them. One kinda funny example- a couple nights ago, she came in and said "Hey, I'm first on a waiting list on a .01/.02 No Limit table where the average pot is $5. Everyone seems to be going all in every hand. What the hell is going on here?"Turns out some guys were doing flippaments, so she sat down, played massively tight (folded big aces numerous times) and picked them off a few times with monster hands for some nice additions to her bottom line. Just an (extreme) example of one little consideration that newer players don't know how to take advantage of. Anyway, microstakes limit, pretend that the stakes you are playing for are measured in dollars rather than cents and if you aren't a terrible player, you *will* come out ahead over a large sample size. (* If you can't beat these games, then you have to accept this as fact and maybe take up another hobby)

If you only have $25 to start, you're pretty much screwed on FTP. You're paying 25% rake on the $1 sit-n-go's, which means you can kill the games and still be lucky to have a decent ROI. That, and the game you want to move up to, $10NL, has just about the worst rake of any game on the net. Also, you'll want $150-$200 bucks to play $10NL. $75 is just asking to go broke if you have even a slight downswing, which is very possible for even a proven winning player.Advice is, move to pokerstars, grind .05/.10 limit until you have $50, then grind .10/.20 limit until you have $100, then start playing the $5 buy in NL games. on pokerstars. Stick to at least 20 buy ins for a bankroll, and grind it out.By the time you have a roll to play $25NL ($500), you either have developed the discipline to play within your bankroll, and can move to FTP and take advantage of rakeback, or you'll have blown your wad again and failed to learn your lesson.Seriously, though, don't try to build a roll where the rake kills you. You're just setting yourself up for frustration.

That is a very good article. And makes me feel better about the limits I play - "Unprotected" FTMFW!Because he would just play higher limits and go busto anyway.
It could free up his game and let him play with more confidence. Spread the money around several sites. the games play slightly different, find a site you like. Maybe he isn't focused due to the small amount of money involved. Playing with a larger bankroll would increase your options. Nevertheless if your game is full of leaks, no amount of money is enough

I have some questions along these lines, so I'll put them here.So I had about $200 on FTP for $10 NL etc, I've been small winner there over a fairly large sample of hands. But lately I got tired of $10 NL because 1 tabling is boring as all hell and I didn't feel comfortable multitabling for such a large part of my roll. So I'd stopped playing for a little while and cashed out there.Then Potomophobia gave me $10 on Stars after I answered some music trivia question correctly, and I've been playing with that and learning to multitable (4-5 right now, easy to play my A game on that few) and crushing the $2 NL games. That $10 is now $40, and I'm going to continue to play $2 NL until it's around at least $100.But where do I want to go from here? The rake at $10 NL seems harsh, but is it still worth playing? Otherwise should I play SnGs? I've read Harrington and think I have a good enough grasp of that stuff to win there. The question is what level to start at and what sized BR for it? Eventually I'd like to get my BR to around $500 so I can start in on $25 NL. I'm fairly confident I can beat it, based on my browsing these forums it seems like I have a good grasp of "standard" play and that should be more than enough for quite some time (right?)If anyone wants to answer this stuff I'd be much obliged.

One beginners grinding strategy I've found that helps your BR trend in a generally upward direction (assuming you don't suck at poker) is that booking a series of smaller sessions tends to be more profitable than playing for an allocated period of time. You definitely don't want to cap any winners or play through on tough tables, but presuming your game selection is good from the outset, setting goals for your sessions and sticking to them is a pretty good idea to keep your bankroll healthy. For example, with my girl who is currently learning how to play at the micros, I might suggest to her that todays goal is to book four $2 winning sessions @ .05/.10 LHE. If at any time you're down $2 in a game and there isn't a particularly compelling reason to play through (ie- your decision making has been totally accurate, you're only down because of very bad beats and the game is full of enormous fish), book that session as a $2 loss and come back later to another table later. When you come back and after 15 minutes playing, you've made $2 profit, book that session as a win (again, unless there is an extremely compelling reason to stay). Maybe grab a bite to eat, watch some TV, play a video game- whatever- then come back for the next session and when you're up another $2, book it. Repeat this process until you've booked your four winners. Once you've booked your four $2 winners, then you're done for the day. Period. No more playing, at all, for the rest of that day. Set new goals for tomorrow (for example, maybe two $5 winning sessions at .10/.20). Of course there have been times when she hasn't met her goals, but given the quality of play at the microstakes LHE games, she meets them far more times than not and her BR has grown nicely.

I have some questions along these lines, so I'll put them here.So I had about $200 on FTP for $10 NL etc, I've been small winner there over a fairly large sample of hands. But lately I got tired of $10 NL because 1 tabling is boring as all hell and I didn't feel comfortable multitabling for such a large part of my roll. So I'd stopped playing for a little while and cashed out there.Then Potomophobia gave me $10 on Stars after I answered some music trivia question correctly, and I've been playing with that and learning to multitable (4-5 right now, easy to play my A game on that few) and crushing the $2 NL games. That $10 is now $40, and I'm going to continue to play $2 NL until it's around at least $100.But where do I want to go from here? The rake at $10 NL seems harsh, but is it still worth playing? Otherwise should I play SnGs? I've read Harrington and think I have a good enough grasp of that stuff to win there. The question is what level to start at and what sized BR for it? Eventually I'd like to get my BR to around $500 so I can start in on $25 NL. I'm fairly confident I can beat it, based on my browsing these forums it seems like I have a good grasp of "standard" play and that should be more than enough for quite some time (right?)If anyone wants to answer this stuff I'd be much obliged.
LOL so let me get this straight....You are afraid to multitable with 20 buy ins for a limit but you began to develop your multitabling talent starting with only 5 buy ins. Why give advice on something while doing the complete opposite?
LOL so let me get this straight....You are afraid to multitable with 20 buy ins for a limit but you began to develop your multitabling talent starting with only 5 buy ins. Why give advice on something while doing the complete opposite?
LOL lrn 2 Opportunity Cost? My opportunity cost for $200 far exceeds my cost for $10, therefore I am much more comfortable experimenting on new strategies with $10. And I understand variance etc, I played limit (which is free money at low limits) until I had 10 BI for $2 NL, then I played conservatively (also free money) until now, where I have 20 BI. So I decided to take free money and try and do something new that has an element of risk as opposed to risking an appreciable amount of my own money on this endeavor. I fail to see where the LOL comes in.Also, you're more than welcome to read my post and realize that I'm not giving advice, I'm asking for it. And that I acknowledge that what I've been doing now isn't perfect BRM, it's because I was messing around with free money. Now that I'm in a place to be moving forward, I'm asking for what the best path is in regards to BRM.