Building A Bankroll

I've been playing poker for about 3 years now, off and on with very mediocre results at best. I have won many MTT's of various sizes and buyins, but always seem to go busto because I don't have enough buyins to account for variance, etc (or more simply put, im playing outside my bankroll). Ive never put in the effort to build a bankroll and be disciplined in working my way up through the levels, and frankly I have no idea where to start, or how many buyins I should have in ratio to the buyin. All I kno is that I'm tired of going broke so I have decided to actually put forth the necessary effort to become a solid player. I've tried searching for some of these answers, but I get so many different answers and strategies that I'm not sure which to follow.I have $25 in my account at FTP and I'm starting at 0.05/0.10 NL Holdem (9 handed). I'm sure I should have more than $25 to even play this level, but I know I can crush the game, and I want the challenge of starting small. After I build this amount up a bit, I plan on splitting my time between MTT's and Cash Games.So my question is, when should I move up in levels? How many buyins should one have when starting a new level? Also if I'm playing MTT's, what percentage of my total bankroll I should be willing to use in a single tourney?My goal is to move up a level every month, until I hit 1/2 nl which I feel will take a bit longer to master. I've played all these limits at one point or another, and I know I can succeed if I have the right bankroll and mindset. Any advice is appreciated.

Don't play, invest, and play later.
meh, risking my money playing online poker is way more exciting...feeds my inner degenerate gambler
Hookers and blow.
you should get a bigger bankroll for that too tho....go for 20 buyins for the next level, move up.... adjust accordingly???
I've been playing poker for about 3 years now, off and on with very mediocre results at best. I have won many MTT's of various sizes and buyins, but always seem to go busto because I don't have enough buyins to account for variance, etc (or more simply put, im playing outside my bankroll). Ive never put in the effort to build a bankroll and be disciplined in working my way up through the levels, and frankly I have no idea where to start, or how many buyins I should have in ratio to the buyin. All I kno is that I'm tired of going broke so I have decided to actually put forth the necessary effort to become a solid player. I've tried searching for some of these answers, but I get so many different answers and strategies that I'm not sure which to follow.I have $25 in my account at FTP and I'm starting at 0.05/0.10 NL Holdem (9 handed). I'm sure I should have more than $25 to even play this level, but I know I can crush the game, and I want the challenge of starting small. After I build this amount up a bit, I plan on splitting my time between MTT's and Cash Games.
You say that you want to build a bankroll and be smart with you money and not go busto, but then you go on to say that you are playing .05/.10 NLHE and you aren't even sure you have enough money to be playing at those limits. I'm confused.

I think with a $25 roll, you should be playing the $1 SNGs. The play is super soft, and you can grind those out until you have a few more buyins for 10NL or you can move up to the $2 SNGs. The thing is, if you're playing 10NL with $25, your risk of going busto is super high. Sure the play is bad, but one suckout depletes almost half your roll (assuming your buying in full.) I know it sucks (I've been there, started playing $1 SNGs, now I play 25NL and $11 MTTs) but the safest and probably best option is grinding the micro SNGs.

sit n goes.
:club: Play 2-3 dollar sit and go's, play tight/aggressive abc poker, and you will build your br. When you get up to 70-80 bucks move to 5-6 dollar. Also, play those $2 sunday hundred grand satellites, win the $11 and unregister, use the tournament dollars to buy into $5-6 sng's.

I'd recommend not trying to build a BR from $25. I'm sure it IS possible. But the level of play from the .05/.10 bracket to the 1/2 bracket is soooooo diff the "knowledge" you would gain from those levels really isn't going to transfer over.My advice is to get a "real" job. Set aside 25% of w/e fun money (money after bills ect) you have each pay period for a month. Take that money and deposit it into w/e online pokersite you would prefer.Now start grinding out the Sit'n'go or ring games, whichever you prefer. Your varience should be less in SnG's if your worried about that.I'm not going to outline how much you need for the various levels ect as their are 100's of threads already stating that info...but my advice is work on your discipline. If there is anything that breaks players its their lack of discipline. If you can't play within your means at these levels you'll never be able to make it at the higher levels....Basically never put yourself in a position that can bust you...and if your losing at your level take a step down...no shame in beating an easier game!

I'd recommend not trying to build a BR from $25. I'm sure it IS possible. But the level of play from the .05/.10 bracket to the 1/2 bracket is soooooo diff the "knowledge" you would gain from those levels really isn't going to transfer over.My advice is to get a "real" job. Set aside 25% of w/e fun money (money after bills ect) you have each pay period for a month. Take that money and deposit it into w/e online pokersite you would prefer.Now start grinding out the Sit'n'go or ring games, whichever you prefer. Your varience should be less in SnG's if your worried about that.I'm not going to outline how much you need for the various levels ect as their are 100's of threads already stating that info...but my advice is work on your discipline. If there is anything that breaks players its their lack of discipline. If you can't play within your means at these levels you'll never be able to make it at the higher levels....Basically never put yourself in a position that can bust you...and if your losing at your level take a step down...no shame in beating an easier game!
Nice post, bolded is spot on i was always busto till i did this, i aint no big shakes but i am getting there slowley
You say that you want to build a bankroll and be smart with you money and not go busto, but then you go on to say that you are playing .05/.10 NLHE and you aren't even sure you have enough money to be playing at those limits. I'm confused.
Precisely why he keeps going busto. Personally I have no interest in offering helpful advice to someone who hasn't or isn't willing to take ownership of his mistakes.

The way I did it (starting from nothing, winning <$1 in a freeroll, then building it up) was to always have 4-5 buy-ins for a level that you know you can beat. Take a shot at the next level when you have enough profit from the current level to cover it. If you lose, go back down until you re-earn what you lost. Then take another shot. When you have 4-5 buy-ins for your new level, rinse and repeat.For example, say you have $20 in your account. Play $0.02/$0.04NL until you have $30. Then buy in to the $0.05/$0.10NL game. If you have a losing session (at all, even if you only lost one dollar), play the $0.02/$0.04NL until you're back up to $30. If you ever drop back down below $30, go back to the $0.02/$0.04NL games. If you're playing well, you'll eventually have a good run at the $0.05/$0.10NL game and be off the $0.02/$0.04NL game completely.Also, learn to play the other games. The stud variants are easy money, especially at the lower limits. It's mind-boggling how poorly people play those games. I've found it to be a good way to not get bored and I learned a lot more about how poker works, in general.http://www.cardplayer.com/author/article/all/36/4904A lot of people suggest SnGs, but I found them to be a waste. I'm mainly a cash player, so that probably has a lot to do with it, but the ROI for them isn't any better and, to me, they're not as fun. My experience is that nobody commits any chips until the blinds get ridiculously high, at which point it becomes a pre-flop, all-in crap shoot. So, you sit there for an hour while everybody folds and steals small blinds, then you flip coins for 10 or 15 minutes until there's a winner. If you can beat the cash games, you're better off just playing those.