Should I Play The Sunday Mil?

Sunday Mil?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Should I play the Sunday Mil?

• Yes, go for the chance at a big cash
    • No, save the T$ and keep grinding

Ok guys heres the background. I started pretty much from scratch on Stars this summer again, with the goal to have 1K by the end of the summer to either keep grinding or use for whatever I need in "real life"..I am approaching my last semester in college and have a decent amount saved for it, from my normal job, as I won't be working due to soccer and school..Now..I just took 2nd in the 4.40 challenge with outsider13 and have $730 in my account with 164 t$ which I won earlier this week playing a sat. to the million..I have been running well lately and playing well...I went deep in the 3r a few weeks ago and things are goin well..Today I won another seat to the Sunday Million and am now debating on playing it..It could be a great opportunity to boost my roll if I cash or God forbid, go deep...However I am scheduled to work so I wouldn't make the 50-100 bucks I would make serving that night if I did play..What should I do?Here is my OPR page, if you want to see what I normally play, as it might influence your choice..I have played the Sun Mil 2 times, cashing once, but that was about 2 years ago. http://www.officialpokerrankings.com/poker...54A12E.html?t=2Thanks for your input!Edit: I usually work Sundays. However I have 2 weeks left at this job, as I move back to school on Aug 14..

I'd be inclined to use the T$ (as I have done before) for "lesser" tourneys that I wouldn't normally be able to afford, such as the:$25 (+2.50) @ 8PM EST$50 (+5) @ various times$11R @ 10PM ESTOr, if you like S&G's, maybe use some for a run at the WCOOP Steps.Yet another option is to use some of the T$ to try and win another Mil seat or a seat in the Nightly Hundo or one of the $55 tourneys.IMO, more options are available than you may have considered.

I would be a hypocrite if I were to tell you to not take a shot and just keep grinding. Twice I have took a shot and re-invigorated my bankroll because of it. :club: But there are many other times where I take a spontaneous shot and end up not cashing. Obviously, roughly 90% of the players who play in the SM will leave Sunday with a lighter wallet, not cashing at all. It's also obvious that this is a *very* high variance risk to your bankroll with *possible* huge rewards (although the vast majority of players that *do* cash in the SM will only make between 1 to 3 times the buy-in -- and although this would be a good boost for your bankroll, it would be risking a large percentage of it for moderate gain).Only you can answer this question, because you know your situation best.1) If you are in the process of cultivating your bankroll to eventually be self sufficient, then playing in the SM is a very bad idea.2) If you have hopes of eventually going pro, then playing the SM this early is a bad idea (it's too early and too large a percentage of your bankroll; this will probably hurt your bankroll and *WILL* develop bad habits in bankroll management).3) If you may need to dip into your poker funds in the near future, then playing in the SM is a bad ideaOn the other hand,1) If you are *FULLY* prepared to lose the buyin, you may want to take a shot (if this money is too large a percntage of your net poker worth and/or your net worth, DON'T PLAY). If you have no expenses in your life, or if you have a job that covers all your expenses and has some money left over to help re-vitalize your bankroll, then you will be able to fade this buy in if you do not cash. 2) If you are a recreational player who doesn't keep track of an actual bankroll, and can refill it as necessary from outside sources, go for it!Based on what you wrote in your original post, it sounds like you are trying to cultivate a bankroll and have a set goal for the end of the summer. You are currently on pace to achieve that goal, but you have not reached it yet. I know you don't want to hear this, but it sounds like you have a very good plan laid out for yourself and playing in the SM would be a bad idea for you, given your bankroll and summer goals.If you do not play, good luck with your summer goals! I hope it doesn't feel like too much of a "grind".If you do play... Good luck!

1. Take a shot at the SM2. Give me 10% for a b-day gift3. ????4. Profit.In all honesty, I've witnessed Throwem's poker career throughout, and advanced my play many times right beside him. He's easily a very solid poker player, but hasn't put in enough volume to show consistent decent results. It's still hard for GREAT tourney players to make it through the mine-field that is the Sunday Million, but he's cashed 1 for 2, and played well in both (as far as I can remember)I say you follow my directions up top.

1. Take a shot at the SM2. Give Sheiky 10% for a b-day gift3. ????4. Profit.In all honesty, I've witnessed Throwem's poker career throughout, and advanced my play many times right beside him. He's easily a very solid poker player, but hasn't put in enough volume to show consistent decent results. It's still hard for GREAT tourney players to make it through the mine-field that is the Sunday Million, but he's cashed 1 for 2, and played well in both (as far as I can remember)I say you follow my directions up top.

Well... the big problem with the Sunday Mil is the payout scale ABSO-FKIN-LUTELY BLOWS!!! Last week if you got ITM you didn't even get your buy in back. I have NO doubt this is because of all of the satty players that do not pay any attention to what T$ actually are so they are happy to get that <$200 back in their cash roll. It is such a -EV tourny now because of it. Otherwise I would say take a shot.But as Mercury has pointed out, taking 4 shots at the $55 might be a better deal. If you get ITM, you actually make a profit. And any spot at the FT will make a HUGE impact on your BR with first being 15k to 17k usually. (and getting second in one of these isn't too shabby either :club:) or even the $27.50's. I have never done well in those but others have.Obviously a personal choice, but there are a lot of choices to be had.

Good tourney players playing tourneys up to their skill level stil cash in only a fraction of the tourneys they play. And this would be a test for you. This would be a shot that has a marginal chance at a payoff, at best.Meanwhile, your shift is an assured $50-100. Bagging the T$ and working the shift is the +EV call here.

Well... the big problem with the Sunday Mil is the payout scale ABSO-FKIN-LUTELY BLOWS!!! Last week if you got ITM you didn't even get your buy in back. I have NO doubt this is because of all of the satty players that do not pay any attention to what T$ actually are so they are happy to get that <$200 back in their cash roll. It is such a -EV tourny now because of it. Otherwise I would say take a shot.But as Mercury has pointed out, taking 4 shots at the $55 might be a better deal. If you get ITM, you actually make a profit. And any spot at the FT will make a HUGE impact on your BR with first being 15k to 17k usually. (and getting second in one of these isn't too shabby either :club:) or even the $27.50's. I have never done well in those but others have.Obviously a personal choice, but there are a lot of choices to be had.
Thats quite possibly the dumbest statement i've ever heard...this is probably one of the best value tournaments on the internet because of there being so much dead money in the field. And ifl you look at it this way, the lesser they payout the bottom places, the more theypay the higher places, which is even more expected value for good players.
Thats quite possibly the dumbest statement i've ever heard...this is probably one of the best value tournaments on the internet because of there being so much dead money in the field. And ifl you look at it this way, the lesser they payout the bottom places, the more theypay the higher places, which is even more expected value for good players.
err.....no.it means there's too many payout spots not that it's too top heavy.Big problem is missing out on the work shift.Go to work, take four shots at the 55$ or wait to play the sunday until after you leave the job.ez decision. Doesn't have to be THIS sunday.
theres already a whole thread wasting time on this.

Gonna work and maybe take some shots here and there with the T$ or play it in a few weeks if I win a seat or two when I'm not working and back at school...Thanks for all the input guys, appreciate it.Cop, where is the thread with the discussion about the Sunday million payouts?

theres already a whole thread wasting time on this.
Cop, where is the thread with the discussion about the Sunday million payouts?
Don't bother, there's about 1 constructive post in the entire thread, and even that doesn't technically explain much anyway. The rest of it is just people calling HubDub04 a douche and all the MTT regs going 'OMG HOW DUMB ARE YOU OMG YOU DON@T HATE THE PAYOUT STRUCTURE DIE DIE DIE'
Don't bother, there's about 1 constructive post in the entire thread, and even that doesn't technically explain much anyway. The rest of it is just people calling HubDub04 a douche and all the MTT regs going 'OMG HOW DUMB ARE YOU OMG YOU DON@T HATE THE PAYOUT STRUCTURE DIE DIE DIE'
QFT

Results?EDIT: Oops, I missed your follow-up post:

Gonna work and maybe take some shots here and there with the T$ or play it in a few weeks if I win a seat or two when I'm not working and back at school...Thanks for all the input guys, appreciate it.Cop, where is the thread with the discussion about the Sunday million payouts?
I think that it's a good idea to break it down into 4 shots at the $55, $70k guaranteed daily tournaments instead of one SM, like Poker Addict posted.
so what was the decision, and if you played how much did you cash for?
Didn't play, playing the 55 dollar buy in, 70K gur. tonight...gonna keep grinding for the next few weeks before I consider playing it again, then once I get back to school it will be an option again probably

Sigh... Throw got screwed in the first 55 $70k last night. I don't remember the hand because all I keep thinking about is how I busted out of everything. But that's the beauty of playing 4 of these vs. 1 Sunday Mil. Three more shots to ship it. Keep playing strong!

Sigh... Throw got screwed in the first 55 $70k last night. I don't remember the hand because all I keep thinking about is how I busted out of everything. But that's the beauty of playing 4 of these vs. 1 Sunday Mil. Three more shots to ship it. Keep playing strong!
Got it in with KK vs AJs and AK...AJ flopped a flush..GG me