How Do I Respond To This?

Here's the situation.I play at weekly house tournament every Thursday night. This tournament draws 12-20 players every week with some strong to decent players, so I was surprised by one players comments at the end of a hand in the later stage of the tournament. It's down to 7 players with the blinds at 500-1000. Average stack is 15,000. I have about 22,000 when I pick up the AK in the BB. Player on the button opens the pot and raises to 4000, leaving 8000 behind. I reraise to 12,000 to put him all in. The raiser insta-calls with AQ. I end up losing this hand when the Q comes out on the turn. I'm not trying to start a bad beat thread here as this happens all the time, but I am posting this situation because right after the hand was over, the player across from me decides to chime in and says something along the lines of "You didn't have to raise there because AK is only a calling hand when someone raises before you."Say what?? In other words you are never allowed to reraise with AK according to this guy.What's funny is that a few hands before this happened I was talking to the same player about how I always lose with AK in big pots. I say this because at this same weekly tournament I've lost CRUCIAL pots with AK against hands like A10 (twice), KQ, JQ, etc etc. All hands got all in preflop (this always happens in the later stages of the tournaments when the stacks aren't as deep).Anyways, I didn't even know how to respond to the guy. This particular player always likes to criticize my hands every week it seems, and I'm the type of person that doesn't care to get into a confrontation over a card game. It just boggled my mind to hear this, as if I made the wrong play... I just wanted to rant. Someone give me something witty to say next time I hear something so dumb...Actually I let my fellow FCP posters reply with logical answers and I'll show him this thread.

Why do we want to correct him into understanding how to play?Step 1: Be nice to donkeysStep 2: Always agree with their backwards logic when they talk strat with youStep 3: ????????Step 4: Profit :club:

If a crappy player tells you how and why he makes his crappy moves, smile and nod to reassure him he should keep playing how he is playing...and then take his money.

what they said.NEVER educate an ass. Ever. It's a pointless arguement if you consider the possible outcomes:1. You win the arugment they see your point and start playing better, and maybe so does someone else at the table.2. You lose the argument they don't back down and you're frustrated as shit.Laugh it off next time. And say 'cool. I'm over it.'

Shove with AK against his KQ and nod your head occasionally while he rants about not raising with it as you take his money.

I think I remember ol' Doyle saying once that he would rather have AK over AA/KK because you don't lose as big of pots with AK when you miss. I think that might be what the guy is trying to get at with his point of calling.................. but with blinds being high and you being the BB, I think your play was perfect. But yes, I agree with all of the above posts.

Step 1: Be nice to donkeysStep 2: Always agree with their backwards logic when they talk strat with youStep 3: ????????Step 4: Profit
This.Please remember the four steps.
what they said.NEVER educate an ass. Ever. It's a pointless arguement if you consider the possible outcomes:1. You win the arugment they see your point and start playing better, and maybe so does someone else at the table.2. You lose the argument they don't back down and you're frustrated as shit.Laugh it off next time. And say 'cool. I'm over it.'
This is basically what I did and will continue to do every time I hear the donk speak. Although I tilt against players who essentially feel they're God's gift to poker and this guy is one of them.
  • 4 weeks later...

If I've got AK I like to open the pot for a raise. If someone raises before me, it depends on the man whether I re-raise or just call. IMO AK is not a calling hand, it's a raising hand..you are always dominating or flipping a coin...every once in awhile you run into the dreaded AA or KK..but that's just a cold cold deck. The guy's a tool.

Here's the situation.I play at weekly house tournament every Thursday night. This tournament draws 12-20 players every week with some strong to decent players, so I was surprised by one players comments at the end of a hand in the later stage of the tournament. It's down to 7 players with the blinds at 500-1000. Average stack is 15,000. I have about 22,000 when I pick up the AK in the BB. Player on the button opens the pot and raises to 4000, leaving 8000 behind. I reraise to 12,000 to put him all in. The raiser insta-calls with AQ. I end up losing this hand when the Q comes out on the turn. I'm not trying to start a bad beat thread here as this happens all the time, but I am posting this situation because right after the hand was over, the player across from me decides to chime in and says something along the lines of "You didn't have to raise there because AK is only a calling hand when someone raises before you."Say what?? In other words you are never allowed to reraise with AK according to this guy.What's funny is that a few hands before this happened I was talking to the same player about how I always lose with AK in big pots. I say this because at this same weekly tournament I've lost CRUCIAL pots with AK against hands like A10 (twice), KQ, JQ, etc etc. All hands got all in preflop (this always happens in the later stages of the tournaments when the stacks aren't as deep).Anyways, I didn't even know how to respond to the guy. This particular player always likes to criticize my hands every week it seems, and I'm the type of person that doesn't care to get into a confrontation over a card game. It just boggled my mind to hear this, as if I made the wrong play... I just wanted to rant. Someone give me something witty to say next time I hear something so dumb...Actually I let my fellow FCP posters reply with logical answers and I'll show him this thread.
who cares what he says