Who Is To Blame For Soaring Gas Prices?

Whose Hot Air Causes Pricey Gas?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Who is to blame for soaring gas prices?

• Republican White House
    • Democratic Congress

Tell me genius, how do you propose to stop our dependence on foreign oil?
how about accept the reality that oil can be most cheaply derived from the middle east and stop with the intellectually dishonest 'dependence on foreign oil' garbage? it is not possible for the US to ever produce enough oil at a low enough cost to impact the price on the world market.
  • Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So oil is a national requirement for our security, economic health, and our ability to protect ourselves and our allies.What would happen if decide that taking the oil from weaker countries ( like all of them )?I mean we have the need, and the ability.And no one can stop us.

What other fuel are we going to use to run the country? Oil is really the only viable one at this point. So we are more in need of them than they are in need of us. They have the stuff we need. so they get to decide what to charge, within reason.
I'm not disagreeing that oil fuels our economy, but you're missing the fact that they (OPEC) need us just as much as we need their resources. it's all just one big marketplace. they have attempted to artificially inflate prices by cutting production levels, but the individuals of that cartel are still motivated to cheat and produce more, which they do. the fact remains: introducing a relatively tiny additional amount of oil (alaska, drill baby drill) on the world market will NOT dramatically influence the price.
I'm not disagreeing that oil fuels our economy, but you're missing the fact that they (OPEC) need us just as much as we need their resources. it's all just one big marketplace. they have attempted to artificially inflate prices by cutting production levels, but the individuals of that cartel are still motivated to cheat and produce more, which they do. the fact remains: introducing a relatively tiny additional amount of oil (alaska, drill baby drill) on the world market will NOT dramatically influence the price.
This is incorrect if, at the same time, nuclear and other alternatives are being developed. The price would drop immediately and signficantly.
I think the important thing to remember is that just because the media declares something a crisis, that doesn't make it a crisis. This was a jump in gas prices due to various market pressures and fluctuations. Producers and users adjusted, and prices came back down. It's very likely they will overshoot (if they haven't already), and they will go back up.
True, but it's also important to remember that the "gas crisis" is about more things than simply the price of gas.
This is incorrect if, at the same time, nuclear and other alternatives are being developed. The price would drop immediately and signficantly.
off-topic. the phrase "dependence on foreign oil" is smoke and mirrors. it doesn't matter where the oil comes from--it's a matter of cost. yeah, it was a great rallying cry for mccain's campaign, but alaska's potential oil production is inconsequential compared to the global market, and would NOT meaningfully influence the price. re: alternative energy sources, I couldn't agree more.
off-topic. the phrase "dependence on foreign oil" is smoke and mirrors. it doesn't matter where the oil comes from unless its produced domestically--it's a matter of cost. yeah, it was a great rallying cry for mccain's campaign, but alaska's potential oil production is inconsequential compared to the global market, and would NOT meaningfully influence the price. re: alternative energy sources, I couldn't agree more.
FYP
Nonsense.Got a lot of Smog there in Big Sky Country?
Actually we do. During the summer when the fires are going we get inversions that hold all that smoke down in the valleys. I have pictures showing how you can't seen the next hill over through all the smoke and red sun. Of course getting rid of foreign oil dependence isn't going to help that any. Sadly it has been the hundred years of fire suppression here that's caused most of the problems. That and people being determined to have that home in the woods and forcing firefighters to have to fight to save homes instead of going with a 'let it burn' policy which would in the end give us healthier forests. That's a whole 'nother argument though.