Who Is To Blame For Soaring Gas Prices?

Whose Hot Air Causes Pricey Gas?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Who is to blame for soaring gas prices?

• Republican White House
    • Democratic Congress

A big problem for Obama will be getting the older vote. I don't see anyone talking about this because younger people like me don't see race as an issue and I don't. But older people are probably the majority of voters. They vote more than anyone. And a lot of those older people I know especially in the south grew up as basically racist. They won't vote for a black man no matter what. My grandfather is in his 80s and he's voted democrat every since he could vote in the late 30s for FDR. That is till this year. He won't vote for a black man as president, and there will be a lot of older voters doing the same. I think it'll be tough for Obama to win any of the southern states.
Actually the pundits say that racism is worse in the North than it is in the South. RL has been spouting that a 15% Obama poll lead will disappear behind the voting booth curtain, meaning a swing of 7.5% from Obama to McCain. I think thats a little high but can believe that an 8% lead is far from safe.
  • Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A big problem for Obama will be getting the older vote. I don't see anyone talking about this because younger people like me don't see race as an issue and I don't. But older people are probably the majority of voters. They vote more than anyone. And a lot of those older people I know especially in the south grew up as basically racist. They won't vote for a black man no matter what. My grandfather is in his 80s and he's voted democrat every since he could vote in the late 30s for FDR. That is till this year. He won't vote for a black man as president, and there will be a lot of older voters doing the same. I think it'll be tough for Obama to win any of the southern states.
This is true. I hear alot of this. My favorite right now is to read the small print in polls, and you will see things like " 60 percent of voters polled not registered to vote," and I just laaauuugghhhh.

I'm an older voter (55) and I'm for Obama. Plus I'm a Montanan which should have been a double whammy against me being an Obama supporter since we have a plethora of rednecks here.

Here is an article by one of the smartest people you have probably never heard of. Nick Murray. Sorry I had to scan it, its not available online. Hopefully you can read it.
Unfortunately not readabe, at least on this screen. any highlights?
So......who's to "blame" for nearly a month or so of falling gas prices?
Americans, for actually buying into conservation. Gas demand is really starting to come down bigtime. We didn't drill more; we inflated our tires, carpooled, drove slower, turned off the A/C (not in Florida), etc.An improving dollar helped too....lots of people to "blame" for that one.
Americans, for actually buying into conservation. Gas demand is really starting to come down bigtime. We didn't drill more; we inflated our tires, carpooled, drove slower, turned off the A/C (not in Florida), etc.An improving dollar helped too....lots of republicans to "blame" for that one.
fyp
Americans, for actually buying into conservation. Gas demand is really starting to come down bigtime. We didn't drill more; we inflated our tires, carpooled, drove slower, turned off the A/C (not in Florida), etc.An improving dollar helped too....lots of people to "blame" for that one.
And if we dont start drilling and finding economical alternative energy resoures theyll go right back up. Sounds like Pelosi got the message that the Dems would look awful if they continued to block an up and down vote on drilling.

Sure Copernicus:- Similar to oil embargo- Oil went from $10 a barrel to $40 in the 70's- Regan saved us by decontrolling energy prices- Carter screwed us by implementing a windfall tax (this sounds strangely familiar)- consumption dropped- people started driving more energy efficient cars- Oil dropped again to $10 a barrel- in 1999 analysts predicted $5 a barrel- people started buying SUVs and boats and 3000 sqft houses- people are repeating the same cycle that happened in oil embargo times- oil consumption continues to decline and supplies are risingTells everyone they are idiots if they think this time its different.He says the same thing in another article about housing and mortgage crisis vs. s&l crisis.He is a very calm, rational investor.

Sure Copernicus:- Similar to oil embargo- Oil went from $10 a barrel to $40 in the 70's- Regan saved us by decontrolling energy prices- Carter screwed us by implementing a windfall tax (this sounds strangely familiar)- consumption dropped- people started driving more energy efficient cars- Oil dropped again to $10 a barrel- in 1999 analysts predicted $5 a barrel- people started buying SUVs and boats and 3000 sqft houses- people are repeating the same cycle that happened in oil embargo times- oil consumption continues to decline and supplies are risingTells everyone they are idiots if they think this time its different.He says the same thing in another article about housing and mortgage crisis vs. s&l crisis.He is a very calm, rational investor.
Lol...you or I could have written that article then...though with less credibility on the internetz.
Lol...you or I could have written that article then...though with less credibility on the internetz.
That is the point. It's just a common sense article. His motto is basically ever time its "different" its the same.I do find it hilarious that we have recent history to show how a windfall tax does not work, and causes more harm than good, yet Obama still spouts off about it. He either A. Does not know about the first time, or B. does not care and just wants the soundbyte, either way it is ridiculous.
That is the point. It's just a common sense article. His motto is basically ever time its "different" its the same.I do find it hilarious that we have recent history to show how a windfall tax does not work, and causes more harm than good, yet Obama still spouts off about it. He either A. Does not know about the first time, or B. does not care and just wants the soundbyte, either way it is ridiculous.
Unfortunately "gas tax holidays" and "reigning in the speculators" arent much further behind, and they are part of McCains arsenal.The Dems are so freaking stupid when it comes to taxes it really makes you wonder where theyve been or if they never stopped toking for the last 40 years.
The Dems are so freaking stupid when it comes to taxes it really makes you wonder where theyve been or if they never stopped toking for the last 40 years.
Shortened your post

My personal feeling about this whole energy thing is that we should use up the oil as fast as we possibly can. Alternatives will not be found until our backs are against the wall. Once the oil is gone, we will find another way. We should all do our part and drive SUVs so we can get to the solution quicker.

My personal feeling about this whole energy thing is that we should use up the oil as fast as we possibly can. Alternatives will not be found until our backs are against the wall. Once the oil is gone, we will find another way. We should all do our part and drive SUVs so we can get to the solution quicker.
The oil will not be gone.Not in our lifetime, not in our children's lifetime. There are oilfields they thought were dry, that are producing again.It is renewable energy source and for some reason everyone still believes that it is a fossil fuel.
This is Gold.
BTW, if I recall correctly there were two steps left out in the timeline.Carter's Windfall profits taxGas companies reduced supplyGasoline prices increased moreConsumption droppedand a consequence was a reduction in domestic exploration and drilling, increasing our dependence on foreign oil
BTW, if I recall correctly there were two steps left out in the timeline.Carter's Windfall profits taxGas companies reduced supplyGasoline prices increased moreConsumption droppedand a consequence was a reduction in domestic exploration and drilling, increasing our dependence on foreign oil
Again I inferred that with the whole windfall tax, but I guess if if others need it spelled out for them...
<---doing my part to support vb's plan