"kitty-ing" / pot-sharing

I play in a twice-weekly 5-10 NL/O8 cash game, and several of the players (usually 2 or 3) take a portion of each pot they win (usually 25%) and set it aside. At the end of the session, they take this and divide it up between themselves. It was explained to me they do this to reduce the variance. Any comments on this practice, I'm still not sure what to think of it.

It is more common then you think. Not usually as obvious as actually setting chips aside after each pot (what if he loses big in the next pot, does he take some of the chips away?). Playing partners or playing off the same bankroll is acceptable and could be a good way to help limit some of the varience (especially in nl or pl games). As long as these two are not working together at the table (ie collusion, best hand, protecting each others hands or to a lesser extent bet saving) I would not have a problem with it. As a matter of fact I have a part time partner that I profit share with when we travel together or play in tournys together.Don't let it bother especially if they play just as hard when they are heads up together as when they are playing anyone else in the game.Let it bother you if they often are both in pots with one other player, if they seem to reraise each other alot when there is a 3rd person in, or if they both call together against a 3rd person (playing four cards to beat the 3rd person) often.But if they are sophisticated enough to do any real cheating then I doubt they would be stupid enough to advertise to the whole table they are profit sharing. I wouldn't be worried about those two guys...actually it sounds like they may be a little new to the game and might be some weak action.Best Regards,Cole

No, this is def. not a collusion type situation; these guys go after each other just as much as anyone else! And they don't take out chips until after the session, or one goes broke. It doesn't bother me, just wondering if it would be a good idea to do it with someone else myself or not.

I would only bankroll share or partner with someone equal to or better then myself...otherwise you are obviously caring their dead weight. If you really want a partner to help cover the swings but can only find someone with inferior skills then offer them a smaller percentage of the wins something like 60/40 split instead of the 50/50 that is common.I don't partner with people that can't play at my level so I have no experience with a 60/40 70/30 kind of arrangement, but a friend of mine was teaching another guy the ropes and entered into one of those deals and it worked out alright for both of them.Best Regards,Cole

These players are sitting down with you, yet they enjoy a significant advantage over you.You must carefully manage your BR and check your agression because of the variance you face. They face a significantly lower variance than you do as they are effectively seeing 2 or 3 times as many hands as you are. This more predictable outcome allows them to play with less fear and greater agression than you (or a normal player) can.IMHO you might want to find another game. I appreciate that they go after each other, but is it everytime? Saving 1BB/hr can turn a breakeven player into a winner. What's that? 1 of 30 or 35 hands? Think about it.

I play in a twice-weekly 5-10 NL/O8 cash game, and several of the players (usually 2 or 3) take a portion of each pot they win (usually 25%) and set it aside. At the end of the session, they take this and divide it up between themselves. It was explained to me they do this to reduce the variance. Any comments on this practice, I'm still not sure what to think of it.
So do you play in "The Room" by Georgetown? I see your from Fort Wayne. They were doing that when I played there too. I didn't really agree with it as usually the two players would check it through if they were the only ones left in a pot.