First off amazing run by Bolt.Ok ok I know nothing new excessive celebration with track athletes especially sprinters. But does anyone else think Bolt acts like a dick. From stopping early to already dancing around like he won before the race, I dunno just put a bad taste in my mouth.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off amazing run by Bolt.Ok ok I know nothing new excessive celebration with track athletes especially sprinters. But does anyone else think Bolt acts like a dick. From stopping early to already dancing around like he won before the race, I dunno just put a bad taste in my mouth.
meh, hes a young cocky guy having some fun. I find it impressive he can act confident and himself on such a stage. Hes a new character to sport and the fact he isnt trying to obliterate the WR is intriguing

Whats the old sayin.... 'it ain't braggin if you can do it'I just would have like to have seen if blast through the line and put an unreal number up

The Jamaicans were one the most strenously tested teams. Something like 30+ tests in 5 days. If he's on something then the chemists that came up with it deserve a medal because there's not a lot they can't test for these days.I'm studying for a chemistry degree, I know a bit about these things.
Yeh I heard that they were being extensively tested, which is very cool. But like I say I'm sure there will be substances they don't know of yet - they didn't know about THG until Gatlins coach anonimously sent in a syringe of it to the drug testing place...
I think I actually enjoyed it more because he stopped to celebrate after 88 meters or so. It makes what he did seem even more amazing. The man just ran faster than any human ever has......he has earned the right to dance.
I think I actually enjoyed it more because he stopped to celebrate after 88 meters or so. It makes what he did seem even more amazing. The man just ran faster than any human ever has......he has earned the right to dance.
AgreeYou see the womens 100 meters ? the usa have complained and launched an appeal o0o0o0o0

Ireland are on the board! Thank God.Two of our boxers are gauranteed at least bronze and we have another good one in the quarters.Our boxing captain Ken Egan,light heavy weight, won his quarters 8-0 and is facing an english guy Jeffries from sunderland to reach the gold matchI'm just delighted we got a medal, now we have two and a chance to make them both gold. Theres only 4 mil of us and 2 of our main sports are only played in Ireland so I'll take it.

Ireland are on the board! Thank God.Two of our boxers are gauranteed at least bronze and we have another good one in the quarters.Our boxing captain Ken Egan,light heavy weight, won his quarters 8-0 and is facing an english guy Jeffries from sunderland to reach the gold matchI'm just delighted we got a medal, now we have two and a chance to make them both gold. Theres only 4 mil of us and 2 of our main sports are only played in Ireland so I'll take it.
I'm proud to be Irish. lol :club:
Ummmmm, close, but no.
If there was 8 events of similar distance that he could win gold in... he would. But there isn't, so you can't base comparisons directly on number of medals.Admittedly, I'm not a big swimming fan, but Bolt just set 2 world records in what will always be the blue ribband events of any Olympics - the men's 100m especially.

Awesome. I can't think what to say, Bolt is just phenomenal.I'm not going to compare his achievements to Phelps' but as James said for a lot of people the athletics are the main event of the Olympics and track athletes are the "face of the games". And 2 WRs and the first sprint double since Carl Lewis is amazing.My personal Olympian of the games - Chris Hoy. 3 different events. 3 golds. 1 WR. Scotland's greatest ever Olympian, I was welling up for him.

Awesome. I can't think what to say, Bolt is just phenomenal.I'm not going to compare his achievements to Phelps' but as James said for a lot of people the athletics are the main event of the Olympics and track athletes are the "face of the games". And 2 WRs and the first sprint double since Carl Lewis is amazing.My personal Olympian of the games - Chris Hoy. 3 different events. 3 golds. 1 WR. Scotland's greatest ever Olympian, I was welling up for him.
Would not know this in the USA.NBC coverage has spattering of track and field at 10 minute segments across 4 hours each night. In between we are force fed BMX, Diving, Beach Volleyball and gymnastics. Totally unwatchable from a track fan's perspective. Then throw in an absolutley nausiating cream puff piece each night about China from Mary Carillo and then add commentary from that A-hole smiling dufus Chirs Collensworth.So I skipped the prime time coverage last night and decided to watch a little late night after 12. There are 3 channels of coverage going on at the same time at 1:00am eastern. The sports that they were covering was BMX, softball and Men's beach volleyball. You got to be kidding me. These sports ARE not the olympics. They are all crap.
If there was 8 events of similar distance that he could win gold in... he would. But there isn't, so you can't base comparisons directly on number of medals.Admittedly, I'm not a big swimming fan, but Bolt just set 2 world records in what will always be the blue ribband events of any Olympics - the men's 100m especially.
It really can't be compared, unless there was the 100m running backwards event. To win so many medals in different styles of swimming, and breaking 7 world records in the process, I don't think you will EVER see that again. A guy winning the 100 & 200m, although a tough feat, I think it will be seen again. I do say though, they are both crazy athletes. And to think that Bolt is so young, he hasn't even come close to his prime yet.

Athletics is obviously suffering from the Balco scandal in the States and as a result so many recognisable/marketable faces are not competing for you guys, hence the drop in interest and you having to watch sports you don't particularly enjoy (I liked the BMX ftr but won't be sad to see softball and baseball gone for 2012). Why isn't squash in the games anymore? That's an odd exclusion imo.But over in the UK, athletics is till top dog (despite a relatively weak team) and dominates the television coverage when it begins. Even in China, with no real track pedigree used Liu Xiang as their main promotional tool, until his unfortunate withdrawal, obviously because the world would be drawn to the track rather than areas where China would dominate (table tennis, gymnastics etc)

Ship another Irish medal. Boxing again, Darren Sutherland, the first non-white Irish olympian and now medalist. Guaranteed bronze, he crushed his opponent 11-1. Defense was phenonomal(sigh sp).Our 3 boxers, will be fighting two british opponents and a chinese to qualify for the gold match.

Trying to compare Track and field to swimming is pretty ridiculous.Phelps is amazing because he is great at 3 different disciplines... IM, freestyle, and Butterfly... and is world class in backstroke also. Most swimmers concentrate on only 1 or 2 disciplines.And well Bolt is just a beast sprinter.There are both great, but to debate who is better is a waste of time imo.

But over in the UK, athletics is till top dog (despite a relatively weak team) and dominates the television coverage when it begins.
Considering you've only had one star swimmer in the past 20 years, that would seem to make sense.
Considering you've only had one star swimmer in the past 20 years, that would seem to make sense.
The point still remains that Athletics and track are the "blue ribbon" of the oylmpics. Most countries, the coverage is focused on the track.In Ireland its all about the track and we have had no gold in over 50 years
The point still remains that Athletics and track are the "blue ribbon" of the oylmpics. Most countries, the coverage is focused on the track.In Ireland its all about the track and we have had no gold in over 50 years
Still can't compare the two because the sports take place during different weeks. If the coverage in your country is solely focused on track during the first week when track isn't going on then that is some pretty shitty coverage.You had a swimmer who won gold a few olympics back. She was on steroids, but she still won! Swimming should be way more popular.
Still can't compare the two because the sports take place during different weeks. If the coverage in your country is solely focused on track during the first week when track isn't going on then that is some pretty shitty coverage.You had a swimmer who won gold a few olympics back. She was on steroids, but she still won! Swimming should be way more popular.
It is popular even without Irish swimmers, but track is still considered the Blue Ribbon of the olympics.And yes that bitch Michelle SMith broke our hearts, we've never dominated like that before.