A thread for all things related to the Olympics, mostly the track and field events but anything else can come in because I, and I'm sure all the other general sports fans/degenerate gamblers will have an interest in most things.I'm pretty excited about the men's sprint events after seeing Powell and Bolt blow away the opposition at Crystal Palace yesterday, in the 100m and 200m respectively. Bolt inparticular was awesome. MJ's record looks to be under threat.Hopefully Powell can break his "choker" tag at the major events and gives us what he is capable of. Gay vs Bolt vs Powell might be the best 9.xx seconds this year!

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When someone else in the world breaks 19.66, I'll start considering Johnson's record as being under threat.Until that happens, no chance.

When someone else in the world breaks 19.66, I'll start considering Johnson's record as being under threat.Until that happens, no chance.
Well Bolt ran 19.76 yesterday and took it easy for 25m. I just checked Johnson's record; I'd totally forgot how fast that man was. You're right it won't be touched for a long time. My bad.

One of my best friends is an Outside Hitter on the USA Men's Volleyball team (Sean Rooney). I will be cheering for the good old USA HARDCORE this year!!!

One of my best friends is an Outside Hitter on the USA Men's Volleyball team (Sean Rooney). I will be cheering for the good old USA HARDCORE this year!!!
If I were you, I'd be chearing for good ole team USA not to get lung cancer and Emphysema Seriously, who were the geniuses who awarded the Olympics to that crap hole. It it too much to ask to award the games to a modern city that's not pollution riddled and has all it's infrastructure in place?
If I were you, I'd be chearing for good ole team USA not to get lung cancer and Emphysema Seriously, who were the geniuses who awarded the Olympics to that crap hole. It it too much to ask to award the games to a modern city that's not pollution riddled and has all it's infrastructure in place?
No joke. One month after they took 1.7M trucks off the road they had .5 miles of visibility. If there is no wind during the Olympics you can count on some very very bad publicity. I for one, actually hope athletes get choked TFO and it reflects as bad as possible on China. Their record of pollution control is ridiculously bad and so many of their citizens suffer and die from it. Air is one thing, but their waterways are actually worse.
Lol. He has spent 6 month stretches in Korea and Russia..I think he will be OK in China for a few weeks. Also, the USA Men's team is coming off a HUGE international win as World League Champions giving them a TON of extra confidence heading into Bejing! They had to beat the #1 team in the world in Brazil in the semi's, so that is a GREAT way to play heading into the Olympics.

Mens Volleyball is indoors so they wont have to worry about choking on the air.I'm pretty sure the swimming is indoors also, that would suck if it wasn't. One major change for swimming is that I heard that finals will be swum in the morning instead of the evening so Phelps can be on in prime time in the US. Good for the viewers, but will be awkward for the swimmers. Finals are always held in afternoon/evening, and I think it is a very dumb move by Olympic committee. They want Americans to see Phelps win 8 golds in primetime, but the question is whether or not this is advantageous for him. I think probably not, he is already used to his prelim/final schedule that he has done numerous times at Worlds/Olympic Trials, hopefully this wont put him off his rhythm.

Mens Volleyball is indoors so they wont have to worry about choking on the air.
I think you missed the point of my post. I wasn't literally saying that the men's vball team was in danger. I was using that as an opportunity to blast on china and bejing. Try not to be so literal.
I really like the Olympics. Prefer winter to summer, but definitely enjoy and regularly watch them both.
You know what winter olympic sport I am inexplicable drawn to? Curling. Like in 2002, my buddies and I got really stoned and watched curling, and i've been fascinated by it ever since. I used to get the canadan cable station, that showed the canadian curling championshipts ( I think it was the Heart trophy, or something) And I freaking was absorbed by it. There is something both absurd and compelling about that game that makes it irresistible to me. Much better TV than Track and field. Even though the US dominate it, I think watching people run and jump is extremely boring. I like games with skill and tactics.
I really like the Olympics. Prefer winter to summer, but definitely enjoy and regularly watch them both.
Ditto. I enjoy the summer and I can't wait to watch USA basketball. It's also always entertaining to just flip on the tv and catch a random track and field event. But...I love watching the snowboarders. The half-pipe competition is awesome. If I remember to watch it, I watch the winter X-games just for the half pipers.
You know what winter olympic sport I am inexplicable drawn to? Curling. Like in 2002, my buddies and I got really stoned and watched curling, and i've been fascinated by it ever since. I used to get the canadan cable station, that showed the canadian curling championshipts ( I think it was the Heart trophy, or something) And I freaking was absorbed by it. There is something both absurd and compelling about that game that makes it irresistible to me. Much better TV than Track and field. Even though the US dominate it, I think watching people run and jump is extremely boring. I like games with skill and tactics.
Curling is easily the greatest winter game ever and IMO, in the top 10 best non-digital games of all time.
I think you missed the point of my post. I wasn't literally saying that the men's vball team was in danger. I was using that as an opportunity to blast on china and bejing. Try not to be so literal.
I be as literal as I want mutha****a.... WANT SOME???I wonder how long it takes to train at curling to become world class. Like if I moved to some place with an ice rink and trained every day for 2 years could I make the Olympics?
I be as literal as I want mutha****a.... WANT SOME???I wonder how long it takes to train at curling to become world class. Like if I moved to some place with an ice rink and trained every day for 2 years could I make the Olympics?
Prop bet?
Move to a country with no background for the sport with 4 of your friends. Tell that government you are the tits and ask for citizenship.I was reading about a Chinese table-tennis player who moved to the Dominican Republic, a country with 0 table tennis players, just because he had no chance of making the Chinese squad. And if you're going to represent a random country, may as well make it a nice, sunny one.
Move to a country with no background for the sport with 4 of your friends. Tell that government you are the tits and ask for citizenship.I was reading about a Chinese table-tennis player who moved to the Dominican Republic, a country with 0 table tennis players, just because he had no chance of making the Chinese squad. And if you're going to represent a random country, may as well make it a nice, sunny one.
In 2000 there was a swimmer from some African country that went like 4 minutes in the 100 free... for all none swimmers... you could do that coming out of swim lessons.
In 2000 there was a swimmer from some African country that went like 4 minutes in the 100 free... for all none swimmers... you could do that coming out of swim lessons.
This was Eddie "The Eel" wasn't it? That was painful to watch.I used to swim. Unfortunately I never grew past 5'8" so I had to can it. The swimming is probably my favourite event outside the track, hockey and cycling to watch. I remember being late for work to stay in and watch the men's 200m with Thorpe vs Van de Hoogenband vs Phelps. That was awesome.Aside from Mr. Phelps any idea who else we should be looking out for KT?
This was Eddie "The Eel" wasn't it? That was painful to watch.I used to swim. Unfortunately I never grew past 5'8" so I had to can it. The swimming is probably my favourite event outside the track, hockey and cycling to watch. I remember being late for work to stay in and watch the men's 200m with Thorpe vs Van de Hoogenband vs Phelps. That was awesome.Aside from Mr. Phelps any idea who else we should be looking out for KT?
The guys events are pretty standard who should be at the topBreastroke: Both 100 and 200 should go to Kitajima from Japan. Brendan Hansen (USA) who was his main rival is a choker and could rival him in the 100, but choked so hard at trials he didn't even make the team in the 200.Backstroke: Face off between Aaron Peirsol and Ryan Lochte (both USA) for gold and silver in both 100 and 200. Peirsol is the reigning champion in both and favorite, but Lochte has been beating him or finishing hundreths behind him lately.Butterfly: 200 Phelps domination. 100 Phelps should win, but Ian Crocker (USA) has the world record. Crocker hasn't been able to swim that time in about 4 years though and he is a known choker as well.IM's: Phelps should win 200 and 400... although just like in the backstroke Ryan Lochte has been close behind this whole year. Could upset Phelps in either, but his best chance is in the 200.Freestyle: 50... I have no idea there is no favorite at all... some guy from France got the world record recently but anything can happen in this race. 100... also hazy for me. Van Den Hoogenband (Netherlands) should win I THINK 200... Phelps should win fairly easily. 400... Grant Hackett (Australia) should win. 1500.. Grant Hacket should win again. He is older though anything can happen. Larsen Jensen (USA) should do well in both 400 and 1500Girls: Australia should dominate overall. From USA Katie Hoff will win a couple golds, and Natalie Coughlin will win a couple golds also. The guys are easier to do an event by event breakdown because most of the WR holders have been swimming for a long time and I have heard of most of them. With the girls there are always new upcoming stars from a variety of different countries. Just expect Australia to dominate girls and USA guys.As for Phelps he should win all 5 individual events. Biggest test will be in the 4X100 relay. I dont think USA will win. Other 2 they should win though. I expect Phelps to win 7 golds and tie Mark Spitz for most gold in one Olympics.

Thanks for that analysis. Most of the guys you mentioned I remember from Athens and a little from Melbourne (WC?). Kitajima is a class act, so is Peirsol. Can't believe Hackett is still around though, surely he has to feel he has done everything possible? His WR over 1500m won't be touched, ever.What about Natalie Du Toit? Does she have a hope for a medal? I know she has beaten "able-bodied" swimmers but I don't know what the class of the field was.

Thanks for that analysis. Most of the guys you mentioned I remember from Athens and a little from Melbourne (WC?). Kitajima is a class act, so is Peirsol. Can't believe Hackett is still around though, surely he has to feel he has done everything possible? His WR over 1500m won't be touched, ever.What about Natalie Du Toit? Does she have a hope for a medal? I know she has beaten "able-bodied" swimmers but I don't know what the class of the field was.
I don't know if Kitajima is a class act.... He was the guy who wouldn't stop screaming after he won gold in Athens... thats all I really know about him though. Hackett is definitely greatest distance swimmer ever... this will be his 3rd Olympics winning gold probably (I think he medaled in Olympics before his first gold also). I think his record will be beat in the future, but definitely not in the near future. They said that nobody would touch Janet Evans' records and Kate Ziegler (USA) has been very close, and has beaten some of her short course records.I haven't heard of Natalie Du Toit until you mentioned her. I looked her up and she definitely has a cool story. She didn't make it in any "pool" swimming events but she will be in the 10K open water swimming event. I hope the water isn't as polluted as the air. She got 4th at her trials though so she probably wont medal. She will probably dominate the paralympics pool events though. I actually have a buddy that I swam with in college who lost a leg when he was 15, and is now one of the top Paralympians in the world. Its pretty cool to watch, he would beat me sometimes in practice and it would really piss me off. Having a 1 legged dude sprinting past you isn't a good feeling lol.Du Toit's Wikipedia page:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natalie_du_Toit
Obv womens beach volleyball. May-Treanor, Walsh.volley.jpgimage.jpgsp5.jpg
QFAWESOMNESSThey recently won their 100 match in a row or something like that. Scary part is that Walsh is just now getting her shoulder near 100%...