Attention All Tourney Donks

It looks like Poker Stars has increased the guarantees on most of their tourneys that have them including the Sunday Million and Warm Up which are now $1.5 Million and $750K respectively.I don't know all the details but I think they will be adding more tourneys with guarantees as well so keep an eye out on their schedule over the next couple days to see what tourneys are on it.Remember that the reason that Stars offers guarantees is not for overlays but to guarantee that a tournament will be of a minimum size.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You sat in on the conference call today?Where did you find this self relient info?
I think he's got one of the Stars Tourney Guys on MSN. ;)Enjoy the tourneys, gang...a/t/b,Bryan S.Tournaments AdministratorPokerStars Poker Room Management
what is the best way to deposit on ps, bryan?i am an american...
To be honest, I have absolutely no idea. I'd be happy to ask our Deposit Assistance Team for you, but you'd no doubt get a quicker answer by asking them directly. Please write to support and put in your subject header: "Best Way to Deposit? (American)" ... someone will reply to you as quickly as possible and you'll be well on your way. :)All the best,Bryan S.Tournaments AdministratorPokerStars Poker Room Management Team
To be honest, I have absolutely no idea. I'd be happy to ask our Deposit Assistance Team for you, but you'd no doubt get a quicker answer by asking them directly. Please write to support and put in your subject header: "Best Way to Deposit? (American)" ... someone will reply to you as quickly as possible and you'll be well on your way. :)All the best,Bryan S.Tournaments AdministratorPokerStars Poker Room Management Team
Ok, now what's the best way to get IM's from you? And money?Totally kidding.Maybe. Not really.
what is the best way to deposit on ps, bryan?i am an american...
I find not losing my bankrol the best for dealing with deposit issues :club: P.S. Bryan how about a 3 step sit and go sattelite system for the $215's???

As a non tourney donk, I'm just curious what good does this do? Like, I assume this just happened because the tourneys were always over the guarentee anyway right? So why does it matter? (serious question, not being sarcastic or anything. I just don't play tourneys so I always wondered what this was for on sites like PS that never seem to have overlays)Mark

In other words;PS is making a ton of money. So we will offer a "GUARANTEE" that is not really a guarantee, but sounds good. We will promote it, along with our other "hello sucker" offers.2X the bonus.......2x times the points...... 2X the opportunity to get screwed.

As a non tourney donk, I'm just curious what good does this do? Like, I assume this just happened because the tourneys were always over the guarentee anyway right? So why does it matter? (serious question, not being sarcastic or anything. I just don't play tourneys so I always wondered what this was for on sites like PS that never seem to have overlays)Mark
People that scoffed at, say 750k gtd, will see 1.5 mil and play the tourny. They're just trying to make the tournaments bigger.More guarantees will get more players, though.
As a non tourney donk, I'm just curious what good does this do? Like, I assume this just happened because the tourneys were always over the guarantee anyway right? So why does it matter? (serious question, not being sarcastic or anything. I just don't play tourneys so I always wondered what this was for on sites like PS that never seem to have overlays)Mark
There are 2 reasons for poker sites to offer guarantees on tournaments. One reason is as part of a marketing plan to drive new players to a site by offering tournaments with designed overlays. This is what Mansion Poker did for example with all the constant overlays on their tournaments. It actually is a horrible use of marketing money for a site other than once in awhile for a big event.The other reason is to guarantee that tournaments will have a minimum size. By offering a guarantee that the site thinks the tournament will either meet or exceed they can shape their tournament schedule and players will know that a certain tournament will always be at least a minimum size. At a site like Stars whenever they increase the size of the guarantee it also increases the number of people who are going to play a tournament and most players like that.Poker Stars would be stupid to offer guarantees with designed overlays as they don't need to do it and also I would hate to think how large they would have to make the guarantee in some cases so that it wouldn't be met.
There are 2 reasons for poker sites to offer guarantees on tournaments. One reason is as part of a marketing plan to drive new players to a site by offering tournaments with designed overlays. This is what Mansion Poker did for example with all the constant overlays on their tournaments. It actually is a horrible use of marketing money for a site other than once in awhile for a big event.The other reason is to guarantee that tournaments will have a minimum size. By offering a guarantee that the site thinks the tournament will either meet or exceed they can shape their tournament schedule and players will know that a certain tournament will always be at least a minimum size. At a site like Stars whenever they increase the size of the guarantee it also increases the number of people who are going to play a tournament and most players like that.Poker Stars would be stupid to offer guarantees with designed overlays as they don't need to do it and also I would hate to think how large they would have to make the guarantee in some cases so that it wouldn't be met.
Bob,I have always respected you. You are one hell of a moderator.....and more important...... one of the finest human beings it has ever been my pleasure to deal with. But please, as someone once said, maybe it was Clint Eastwood....... don't piss down my leg and tell me it's raining.The only thing that Poker Stars is going to guarantee is their profits. They will do nothing for the average poker player except lessen their chances of winning anything meaningful. More suckers, more rake....... hence more profit for PS.Wait..... it wasn't Clint who said it, but it was in the movie "The Outlaw Josey Wales."
Bob,I have always respected you. You are one hell of a moderator.....and more important...... one of the finest human beings it has ever been my pleasure to deal with. But please, as someone once said, maybe it was Clint Eastwood....... don't piss down my leg and tell me it's raining.The only thing that Poker Stars is going to guarantee is their profits. They will do nothing for the average poker player except lessen their chances of winning anything meaningful. More suckers, more rake....... hence more profit for PS.Wait..... it wasn't Clint who said it, but it was in the movie "The Outlaw Josey Wales."
but more players mean more dead money so it works for everyone!
Well of course they do it to increase their business. It's called capitalism and by offering guarantees they will have larger fields and larger fields mean more revenue.If more people are entering tournaments that means that a site is giving more people what they think that they want and isn't that what business is supposed to be all about, giving your customers what they want and making a profit by doing so.
Well of course they do it to increase their business. It's called capitalism and by offering guarantees they will have larger fields and larger fields mean more revenue.If more people are entering tournaments that means that a site is giving more people what they think that they want and isn't that what business is supposed to be all about, giving your customers what they want and making a profit by doing so.
I'm all for Capitalism. But be careful. Don't let short term greed over rule long term prosperity.
I'm all for Capitalism. But be careful. Don't let short term greed over rule long term prosperity.
You are blowing my mind. How can you not want more fish filling the tournaments? If tourney entries are low everyone screams "the sky is falling", now they are breaking the guarantees so they get raised, and you are just shaking in anger. Would a $215 buyin with a 25k guarantee and a weekly field of 150 satisfy you? I just don't see your POV, ya dig?
1.5 million guarantee sounds better than 1 million guarantee for those who don't know the usual prize pool, even if it used to be that big already. That's all I can think of.----------------------------------------are they doing anything about the payout structure?
I just wish they'd pay out $171 for min-cashing a $215 buy-in to lower my variance.
FYP...but seriously, what was that all about last Sunday anyway.
The only explanation I can come up with is that you are banned from Stars?