gus hansen type players

This thread is hilarious on so many levels.

In Daniel's blog on the last tournament he mentions that if he writes his book he will explain why the Gus Hansens arent as crazy as they look.
Wonder when Daniel's going to get around to writing that book.

I :ts this bump.

There's loose and there's LOOSE. I think you're towards the latter. I don't see how playing all those hands can possibly be profitable.I agree. These are the kinds of people that play anything and ruin the game. They really have no idea. They think calling a 30 dollar raise with K4 suited is a smart move and get pissed off when their pair of kings is out kicked. Or call you to the river with 83os with a 3KQJ on the board catch an 8 on the river and bust your AAs. Fortunately though, they eventually bust out and move onto other things in life like knitting or crime since they lost all of their money playing "loose" like this. This isn't the meaning of "loose."Justin
I have visions of JustinHEMI04 standing up at some random poker table and shouting in a Charlton Heston voice, "Damn you, Gus Hansen! You RUINED my game by playing loose! Damn you to Hell !!!"
Thanks Chris.
Magnifies my enjoyment of Chris' post.
I like that Chris had 1 post.And it lead to JC's eventual domination :club:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Wonder when Daniel's going to get around to writing that book.
Is this not the book that I bought months ago? OR is there another one coming?
Is this not the book that I bought months ago? OR is there another one coming?
His Hold 'Em Wisdom book was just a collection of basic stuff. Power Hold'em was supposed to come out over a year ago and be more advanced. Amazon currently lists it as being available in June, but I haven't heard Daniel mention it recently. Granted, I haven't kept up with the blog much.
There's always another one.
So it seems - I guess I'll be looking for that in the summer.

Sigh, I debated whether or not to post this for you guys all day. I think I kinda have to even though I feel a little bit bad because the PM was 100% good natured, and the dude is probably super nice for taking some time to write this out.....so he's obv cool in my books from now on. That said, I did think I should post it:This is the PM I got today

What most people don't realize is all them "loose" players almost always play loose from late position only. Also they don't make the decision to start playing loose until they have a good read on the table and the other players tendencies warrant them to start opening up their range a little bit more.Another thing when choosing a hand range to play a little bit on the loose side you are opening with these hands....but not calling as much. By opening with KJ and QJ you take control of the hand. By calling a raise with the same hands you are basically going into a gun fight with a knife hoping that the gun sticks. Also your "loose" range should be more suited connectors, low to mid pocket pairs and maybe Ax's. The reason for this is these are good trapping hands. If you raise it up with a 67 of hearts and the flop comes 458 when you bet the flop you might get a floating call from an AK. Then the A hits the turn and you win a decent pot. But you have to raise these hands in late position. Position when playing loose is probably the most important piece of the puzzle. Without that it's almost impossible to play this style successfully over a long period of time. Now I am not saying these players (ivey, farha, gus) don't play OOP with weak hands but if you look at the whole aspect of things....it's usually not early in a match....it's usually after they have played with the Villain a while and they have a good read on what is going on. Consequently, people "attempting" to play this style right from the get go (ex: raising K7 utg cause they are a "loose" player and they want to prove it) is how I make most of my money. Remember the easiest way to win is to let your opponent feel like he is winning. Then he/she gets comfortable and that is when you hit him hard. Then you hurt his stack and his ego.......deadly combination. hope this helped.
Sigh, I debated whether or not to post this for you guys all day. I think I kinda have to even though I feel a little bit bad because the PM was 100% good natured, and the dude is probably super nice for taking some time to write this out.....so he's obv cool in my books from now on. That said, I did think I should post it:This is the PM I got today
I shouldn't have, but I laughed.Nice guy though.
Just edit the title so that the person's name who pm'd you is not there. That should do.I edited your name as an example.
I shouldn't have, but I laughed.Nice guy though.
:club: It isn't horrible advice...Gather round kiddies and let me tell you of a time when FCP only had one strat forum, Omaha hands mixed with Stud hands minibet mixed with big bet poker... it was utter madnessGod I miss the brown forum :ts
:club: It isn't horrible advice...Gather round kiddies and let me tell you of a time when FCP only had one strat forum, Omaha hands mixed with Stud hands minibet mixed with big bet poker... it was utter madnessGod I miss the brown forum :D
I agree that it's not horrible advice.I just find it funny considering how JC plays. :ts

Gus Hansen has a strange ability to pick the right times to play some poor hands and win with them. Whether I play agressive or tight agressive will depend on how my opponents are playing. Of course you can win with any two cards at any given time, but I'm not going to start pulling a Gus too often.

allright, i am fairly balanced between gus's"any 2 cards" and the tighter variety. the thing is you have to think about alot of things when you decide to be agressive.for me the most important thing is to read your opponent. you need to be able to have at least some idea as to wheather your hand is good after the flop, the turn, and finally the river.your not gonna be slow playing alot. and since your starting with marginal hands, you prolly dont want alot of pots to make the river. mislead your opponents. for the most part you dont want them to know your playing gus poker. when you play k4 off and hit your king. bet it. if they fold, say "good fold" and show the king sometimes. let your opponents think they made a good play. your image is hugely important. good agressive players play agressive and loose and noone knows it till youve stolen their blinds a dozen times.of course it's worthless if you dont pay attention to your position and your read on your opponent. if you raise with k 8 off and get re raised by k q you had better know when it's time to stay and time to go.for me my philosophy is "if noone else is agressive at my table i am."(stack permitting) if someone else is dialing up the agression i back off. otherwise you wind up playing big pots with marginal cards. thats death at poker.as for what to play... anything suited. any face card. all connectors(anything that can make a strait)one last thing, unless you have a good read, if someone raises in front of you, go away unless youve got a premium hand. and if your playing agressive. dont suddenly dial back and try to trap when you pick up aces or kings. you gotta play all cards agressively.

allright, i am fairly balanced between gus's"any 2 cards" and the tighter variety. the thing is you have to think about alot of things when you decide to be agressive.for me the most important thing is to read your opponent. you need to be able to have at least some idea as to wheather your hand is good after the flop, the turn, and finally the river.your not gonna be slow playing alot. and since your starting with marginal hands, you prolly dont want alot of pots to make the river. mislead your opponents. for the most part you dont want them to know your playing gus poker. when you play k4 off and hit your king. bet it. if they fold, say "good fold" and show the king sometimes. let your opponents think they made a good play. your image is hugely important. good agressive players play agressive and loose and noone knows it till youve stolen their blinds a dozen times.of course it's worthless if you dont pay attention to your position and your read on your opponent. if you raise with k 8 off and get re raised by k q you had better know when it's time to stay and time to go.for me my philosophy is "if noone else is agressive at my table i am."(stack permitting) if someone else is dialing up the agression i back off. otherwise you wind up playing big pots with marginal cards. thats death at poker.as for what to play... anything suited. any face card. all connectors(anything that can make a strait)one last thing, unless you have a good read, if someone raises in front of you, go away unless youve got a premium hand. and if your playing agressive. dont suddenly dial back and try to trap when you pick up aces or kings. you gotta play all cards agressively.
ty