How To Get Rid Of A "friend" Without Trouble

I'm sure everyone knows someone like this. The type of person who you don't really care for but they'll act like you guys are buddies and won't leave you alone.There was a seinfeld episode about this but they never really solved the problem. So how would you guys get rid of an unwanted "friend" without causing any real trouble?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure everyone knows someone like this. The type of person who you don't really care for but they'll act like you guys are buddies and won't leave you alone.There was a seinfeld episode about this but they never really solved the problem. So how would you guys get rid of an unwanted "friend" without causing any real trouble?
Got $500?
Don't talk to him. I recently dealt with this. I had a friend that I wanted to kill whenever he was around, so when he called, I didn't answer but later texted him and said I couldn't talk. After a couple of weeks of this, he stopped calling and I haven't seen him much and I am much happier.

Don't be a passive-aggressive wimp. Just say "no" if he asks and you don't feel like hanging with him. Don't make excuses or play little games. Don't be all chummy with him to his face and then say: "I hate that guy" when he isn't around. That reflects poorly on your own character - and your other "real" friends will take note. Just be direct. You don't have to be rude nor offensive. Just follow the golden rule. He'll drift away.

3 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 1 Anonymous Users)2 Members: outsider13, Pot Odds RACI think I know where this is going.
...and tell him you carry a concealed weapon.
... predicting big things for this thread.
Don't talk to him. I recently dealt with this. I had a friend that I wanted to kill whenever he was around, so when he called, I didn't answer but later texted him and said I couldn't talk. After a couple of weeks of this, he stopped calling and I haven't seen him much and I am much happier.
showstopper had a friend that annoyed him. ok.
Don't be a passive-aggressive wimp. Just say "no" if he asks and you don't feel like hanging with him. Don't make excuses or play little games. Don't be all chummy with him to his face and then say: "I hate that guy" when he isn't around. That reflects poorly on your own character - and your other "real" friends will take note. Just be direct. You don't have to be rude nor offensive. Just follow the golden rule. He'll drift away.
I tried the rude approach before and it didn't work. Lately I've been practicing avoidance like you said, not answering calls or IM's. Cept I havent even been returning them with a text or phonecall. For about 3 weeks now and he still hasn't gotten the picture.
I tried the rude approach before and it didn't work. Lately I've been practicing avoidance like you said, not answering calls or IM's. Cept I havent even been returning them with a text or phonecall. For about 3 weeks now and he still hasn't gotten the picture.
That is exactly the opposite of what I am saying. That is passive and just avoiding the situation. Be an adult and treat him like an adult. Don't avoid a situation just because it is uncomfortable.Don't avoid giving him the feedback or answer he doesn't want to hear just because it makes you uncomfortable.
That is exactly the opposite of what I am saying. That is passive and just avoiding the situation. Be an adult and treat him like an adult. Don't avoid a situation just because it is uncomfortable.Don't avoid giving him the feedback or answer he doesn't want to hear just because it makes you uncomfortable.
QFT, Don't be a little wuss and avoid him. I know it might be hard but just tell him how you feel. Don't leave him hanging by avoiding him. It just digs you into a bigger hole.
QFT, Don't be a little wuss and avoid him. I know it might be hard but just tell him how you feel. Don't leave him hanging by avoiding him. It just digs you into a bigger hole.
True. I'll be moving at the end of august so avoidance won't be that difficult. I tried being upfront before and eventually ran into him and some other people at a mutual friends house one time and randomly started hanging out with them again. The problem isn't the group of friends just one person. So I tried being up front one time and it didn't really work out as I would of hoped.
Nicely disguised brag post about having a friend.I raise...
True. I'll be moving at the end of august so avoidance won't be that difficult. I tried being upfront before and eventually ran into him and some other people at a mutual friends house one time and randomly started hanging out with them again. The problem isn't the group of friends just one person. So I tried being up front one time and it didn't really work out as I would of hoped.
What is wrong with the guy? Does he have a missing tooth or an annoying facial scar, or just has an attitude problem?
What is wrong with the guy? Does he have a missing tooth or an annoying facial scar, or just has an attitude problem?
This has to be one of those instances where he is the villain in this hand.
Nicely disguised brag post about having a friend.I raise...
*Ex_Matt has requested time*
Just a bunch of minor things that may not seem like a big deal but after awhile they've become quite annoying.-He always thinks his ideas are the best and always tries to persuade people into doing the things he wants to do.-If he doesn't get his way he'll try to make others feel bad about it.-If he's losing at something he'll always have an excuse as to why he lost.-He just doesn't listen to people when they speak.and some other things have happened where I just do the hellmuth with my hands in the air.
*Ex_Matt has requested time*Just a bunch of minor things that may not seem like a big deal but after awhile they've become quite annoying.-He always thinks his ideas are the best and always tries to persuade people into doing the things he wants to do.-If he doesn't get his way he'll try to make others feel bad about it.-If he's losing at something he'll always have an excuse as to why he lost.-He just doesn't listen to people when they speak.and some other things have happened where I just do the hellmuth with my hands in the air.
ouch, that sounds like me :club:
*Ex_Matt has requested time*Just a bunch of minor things that may not seem like a big deal but after awhile they've become quite annoying.-He always thinks his ideas are the best and always tries to persuade people into doing the things he wants to do.-If he doesn't get his way he'll try to make others feel bad about it.-If he's losing at something he'll always have an excuse as to why he lost.-He just doesn't listen to people when they speak.and some other things have happened where I just do the hellmuth with my hands in the air.
How old is he? Youve just described my 8 year old son.