Adam's Annual Yahoo Fcp League

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happened to me a lot last year during the first half or more of the season until I made a trade with Andre to get Bryzzy. I still finished 3rd. Strat with his situation finished 2nd, and Andre won I believe while giving up Byrzzy to me during the season.
he didn't win while giving up bryz. he won because he traded him. 3 starters and being able to trade one was huge. I haven't seen anyone give me a good argument as to why 2 appearances is worse than 3. but I guess it doesn't matter.
he didn't win while giving up bryz. he won because he traded him. 3 starters and being able to trade one was huge. I haven't seen anyone give me a good argument as to why 2 appearances is worse than 3. but I guess it doesn't matter.
I just think with 3 minimum goalie starts/apprearances you are bringing a huge luck factor into play.But whatever the rule is I will win, as long as I draft accordingly...
If it changes to two appearances I'll draft one goaltender maybe a second if I feel like it and I'll just try to win GAA and Save% every week and pray for the occasional shut out.
If it changes to two appearances I'll draft one goaltender maybe a second if I feel like it and I'll just try to win GAA and Save% every week and pray for the occasional shut out.
then you won't win. you'll lose GS and SV as often as you win gaa and sv%. most of the time you'll lose W too so this strategy of yours will cause you to lose or tie in the goalie categories.
then you won't win. you'll lose GS and SV as often as you win gaa and sv%. most of the time you'll lose W too so this strategy of yours will cause you to lose or tie in the goalie categories.
Do I give a shit? That's what you guys fail to realize.
yep. my problem was believing all the players in our game were rational.
I guess my irrationality won me the league two years ago, and if I attended the first part of the draft last year, I would have been in the top 10 again.
Well I never kept a notebook on Andre's goalies so you got me there. You haven't heard a good argument because you already made up your mind about the 2.I honestly would not care if it was 1 2 or 3. I'm not that worried about it.
All I want is 5 points every week from goaltending. Anything more is a plus.
problem is you're giving away 4 points every week to people with more games played and the two categories you're banking on aren't guaranteed. the GS and SV are basically guaranteed as losers. this is where someone could make a good argument to convince me but no one has said anything. I think the difference between the skater you get because of the lesser goalie and the one you get because you only draft one solid starter won't make as much of a difference as having 2 solid goalies.
You haven't heard a good argument because you already made up your mind about the 2.
lol. I love it when people make stupid comments like that. I'm just trying to make it a better league. I just think there's a good chance someone will miss the playoffs because of this rule. Whether it be because they lose all six one week or because someone else wins em all. I sure hope I'm wrong though.
I vote to leave it at 3 appearances minimum.Changing the rules after payment is -ev imo. :club:
problem is you're giving away 4 points every week to people with more games played and the two categories you're banking on aren't guaranteed. the GS and SV are basically guaranteed as losers. this is where someone could make a good argument to convince me but no one has said anything. I think the difference between the skater you get because of the lesser goalie and the one you get because you only draft one solid starter won't make as much of a difference as having 2 solid goalies.lol. I love it when people make stupid comments like that. I'm just trying to make it a better league. I just think there's a good chance someone will miss the playoffs because of this rule. Whether it be because they lose all six one week or because someone else wins em all. I sure hope I'm wrong though.
I was already in the "let's bring it down to 2 minimum starts" camp, but I hadn't thought of this argument and I think it's very interesting.There's a total randomness factor to who will end up winning those weeks when teams can't meet the minimum. A team might get 18 free wins because of this while another was never lucky enough to face a team that wasn't able to meet the minimum. 2 minimum starts isn't really detrimental to anybody now, even if payment has been submitted. It actually seems to give way to more elaborate goaltending strategies to be devised. Hmmm...sounds like more fun, no ?
problem is you're giving away 4 points every week to people with more games played and the two categories you're banking on aren't guaranteed. the GS and SV are basically guaranteed as losers.
That's the thing though, I only want to guarantee those two categories and I'll be happy. If I get two good starts with 2 wins, a high save percentage and a high GAA and Maybe a shutout I can get 6-8 points. If I get 5 it's ok to me. I do the exact something now just with two different categories.
I was already in the "let's bring it down to 2 minimum starts" camp, but I hadn't thought of this argument and I think it's very interesting.There's a total randomness factor to who will end up winning those weeks when teams can't meet the minimum. A team might get 18 free wins because of this while another was never lucky enough to face a team that wasn't able to meet the minimum. 2 minimum starts isn't really detrimental to anybody now, even if payment has been submitted. It actually seems to give way to more elaborate goaltending strategies to be devised. Hmmm...sounds like more fun, no ?
to be fair, the difference would probably be something like going 10-5-3 instead of 18-0 which is a difference of 13 points. still a lot but saying 18 free wins makes it sound a lot worse. 13 is a difference maker though.
That's the thing though, I only want to guarantee those two categories and I'll be happy. If I get two good starts with 2 wins, a high save percentage and a high GAA and Maybe a shutout I can get 6-8 points. If I get 5 it's ok to me. I do the exact something now just with two different categories.
see I don't think that's a smart strategy anyway because if you have 2 good starts and a shutout already, it's more likely you'd be able to maintain a low gaa and sv%. especially if you already have a shutout. going for the knockout will boost you to the top whereas going for the tie will hurt you. plus if you only have 2 starts per week vs someone with 4 starts, your gaa and sv% are going to have a higher variance. more games means you'll be getting closer to your average. your strategy will give you some weeks where you get those 5 points but you'll have rough weeks where you lose all the categories. you probably won't have any weeks where you're getting 8 points. I don't think the boost to your skater categories will match this detriment to your goalie categories.FYI, I'll keep talking civily abot this if people respond in kind but I know I've lost the war since we needed 75% and 5 have already said no.
I will be sending on stars tongiht
I'm sorry, but the deadline has already expired and the spot filled. You will be the first alternate if we lose anyone between now and the draft, but please do not send any money unless someone drops out.
I'm sorry, but the deadline has already expired and the spot filled. You will be the first alternate if we lose anyone between now and the draft, but please do not send any money unless someone drops out.
don't hurt yourself holding the reserve spot...I don't want it.
don't hurt yourself holding the reserve spot...I don't want it.
Be pissed at yourself.
in like flynt
Doing the Stars to Paypal swap would be easiest for me, but like I said, I'll take Stars transfers if there are guys who just don't want to use Paypal. Mailed money orders would be fine too, I can just deposit those and transfer from my account to Paypal. Seems like everyone is on board with a $20 entry fee, so we'll go with that. I'll be looking for all buyins to be in hand 1 week before the draft, so I don't have to chase people all season about it. Any team that hasn't paid or made arrangements to pay at that point, I will have to replace them. No need to worry about anything until late August at the earliest. $20 x 20 = $400 prize poolPodium:1st Place - $2002nd Place - $1253rd Place - $75Does that look like a good way of paying out? I tinkered with the idea of returning buyins to every team that makes the playoffs (top six) with the podium paying out bonuses, but it wasn't working out. Teams that have not confirmed their interest for this coming season yet:DerswickGovernatorSilverSevenI'll PM those guys in mid-August if we still haven't heard at that point. If those who are committed for this season could start giving me a basic idea of draft availability, that would be great. I'll do my absolute best to accommodate everyone so we can have a true 20-team live draft. I'm looking at holding the draft sometime between September 19th and October 1st, to allow for late signings and training camp scouting. Start time would be approx 8:30pm EST.

Could someone test the draft server from their computer? I'm trying it from work and not getting anywhere, just wondering if it's the firewall here or if the Yahoo server is down.*Edit* Never mind, it's working now, looks like I won't miss most of it after all.

to be fair, the difference would probably be something like going 10-5-3 instead of 18-0 which is a difference of 13 points. still a lot but saying 18 free wins makes it sound a lot worse. 13 is a difference maker though.
Actually what I meant with 18 wins would be if a team was lucky enough to have 3 different matchups where their opponent didn't meet the minimum start requirement.It could even be more, not sure how many times it happened altogether last year, I know it happened to me once early in the year, even though I had two #1s (Brodeur and Kolzig). There was a schedule quirk that week and the Devils and Caps played 3 games combined that week. Not sure why either one sat one out, but I gotz screweddd :club:
relax
don't do it (I invented the piano key necktie. I invented it! What have you done Derrick? Nothing! You've done NOTHING! NOTHING!)
Actually what I meant with 18 wins would be if a team was lucky enough to have 3 different matchups where their opponent didn't meet the minimum start requirement.
yea I know. what I'm saying is that it's not like the team that missed the minimum goalie requirement would've won all those 18 (if we took their stats into account despite not meeting the requirement). most likely they would've won 1 or 2 categories and tied in SHO. that's where I came up with going from 10-5-3 to 18-0-0.

i am so excited..this is the first draft of the NHL season for me, and I cant wait to prognosticatedominatepontificate Good luck boys on Sunday