Out here next week!!!!First reviews I read are all very positive. 150 minute running time? Magic.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of the preview, in the original trailer, one of the characters had a gun pointing at the camera, but they were forced to change it to a walkie-talkie because trailers aren't allowed to show guns pointing at the audience.
could be wrong but don't James Bond movies show 007 walking across the screen and then shooting towards the audience?

I literally can't wait for Watchmen to come out....the only movie I've felt this much pre-release excitement over was the Dark Knight, and that movie ended up being one of my all time favs.For people who say they don't like comics - go to Border's, read the Watchmen and tell me it's not a timeless, all time great piece of fictional work!

Ordered the graphic novel today. Now the question is do I read it before or after I see the movie.One the one hand, I'm very intrigued to read the story and see what differences were made for the celluloid format. On the other hand, I don't want to go to the movie having read it and be disappointed.

Ordered the graphic novel today. Now the question is do I read it before or after I see the movie.One the one hand, I'm very intrigued to read the story and see what differences were made for the celluloid format. On the other hand, I don't want to go to the movie having read it and be disappointed.
Well, I am 99.8 percent certain that it will be a worse movie than the graphic novel is a comic. That's not to say it won't be a good movie, but it's proabably the best super hero comic of all time. So, I'd rather have the movie spoiled for me than the comic
Well, I am 99.8 percent certain that it will be a worse movie than the graphic novel is a comic. That's not to say it won't be a good movie, but it's proabably the best super hero comic of all time. So, I'd rather have the movie spoiled for me than the comic
I'm certain I'll read it as soon as it arrives. Delaying gratification isn't exactly my strong suit.
I'm certain I'll read it as soon as it arrives. Delaying gratification isn't exactly my strong suit.
I'd recommend that anyone read the graphic novel before seeing the movie, especially this movie. Reading the comic will likely make you more excited to see the movie.
I'd recommend that anyone read the graphic novel before seeing the movie, especially this movie. Reading the comic will likely make you more excited to see the movie.
QFMFT.
I literally can't wait for Watchmen to come out....the only movie I've felt this much pre-release excitement over was the Dark Knight, and that movie ended up being one of my all time favs.For people who say they don't like comics - go to Border's, read the Watchmen and tell me it's not a timeless, all time great piece of fictional work!
Figuratively.

Ordered my tickets yesterday to see this, not going to a midnight showing, I've got class on Friday. I'm fairly stoked but...

I know there was some discussion here whether the ending was different from the Moore novel. My girlfriend who I've introduced her to the novel and will be seeing the movie with informed me (unwillingly) that the ending would be different. SIGH. Now I'm pretty pissed going into this because I can't see how they could change it for the good. Everything that I can think of that they'd change would be awful. Veidt's plan must go down exactly as Moore wrote up, regarding the Cthuulu, Nite Owl/Rorschach, etc etc. Dr. Manhattan must kill Rorschach to keep him from squealing on Veidt, and Veidt must live.

Just got back, and I loved it. I'm not sure how much someone who hasn't read the GN"s would like it, but I thought they really had depth in the character development, it looked great, and all the important elements of the graphic novel remained intact. IT might be a little long, for the average movie goer, but it might be a little short for a Watchman fan boy. IT probably should have been a 5 hour mini-series, but then it wouldn't have looked as good. The opening credits were amazing, btw, maybe the best part of the movie.

About the ending. I don't get bobby's objection to it at all. I think they almost had to write a new ending. If they were going to use the alien attack ending, they would have added about an hour to the movie, explaining it. You would have added an bunch of exposition to a movie that was already really long, and you would have lost the entire non-fanboy audience for no reason. I think the new ending was a wise choice, editing wise. Most importantly, the spirit of the ending was intact. Ozymandius still won, the world still came together, Rorsh. still got killed by manhattan, everyone still had to accept the horrific terrorist act of Ozy. Everything that made the ending important and so ground breaking 20 years ago is still in this ending, just the surface details are changed.

Very dissapointed. New ending was terrible. Aside from the opening credits I didn't enjoy anything about it.
Did you just say "Funky Buttloving?"I was worried about this since I just started reading the GN last night but Big D has made me feel better. I've grown to trust his judgement. I bet that's a first.

Just back from the movie. Very happy with it, agree that the movie ending worked fine and perhaps better in some respects.Only things I take issue with were:Nixon's nose - was he ripped straight from Futurama?Ozy's costume - who hired Joel Schumacher's costume department?The sex scene - toe-curlingly awful, Leonard Cohen would not be a happy man.But none of these effect the story or characters I love so again, I'm happy!

My main dissapointment with the ending was not that they changed it but that the made Manhattan the villian. To me making Manhattan the villian would not be able to unify the world like it did with Ozymandias' original plan. Since Manhattan was working with the US government it seems that most of the world would unite against the US after Manhattans "attack"

Just watched it last night at the midnight showing. Pretty cool flick. I'd read snippets and had discussions about the characters, but I hadn't read the GN.

My main dissapointment with the ending was not that they changed it but that the made Manhattan the villian. To me making Manhattan the villian would not be able to unify the world like it did with Ozymandias' original plan. Since Manhattan was working with the US government it seems that most of the world would unite against the US after Manhattans "attack"

The thing that I don't get about the ending...I don't see how the world being united against Manhattan would be a long-term solution. Yes, I can see global goodwill rising after shared disasters, but why would it be any different from 9/11 for example? The US was able to squander the world's sympathy pretty quickly on that one.

I had such high hopes for this movie that I had a nagging feeling I would be disappointed unless the movie was perfect. When it ended, although I felt the movie was good, my main reaction was still disappointment. I was unrealistically expecting too much. The beginning was great and I was really into the movie for the first 30 minutes, and then it seemed to be as each minute went by I became more detached from the movie, like I was just watching it for the sake of watching it. I do not think this is a fault of the movie being too long. I didn't mind the length at all, and there were soooo many scenes/subplots from the GN I wish they had included, such as the newspaper guy. I wouldn't cut out any scenes that were in the movie either, as they were all pretty essential. The added beginning montage was awesome as well.

I didn't mind the change to the ending at all, I knew what it was going to be beforehand, and I thought it was a fine way to deviate from the novel while remaining true to the theme. However, everything in the GN built up to the amazing final confrontation in Antarctica and I thought they could have made the whole ending scene five to ten minutes longer in the movie. I mean, we hardly even saw Bubastis! When Ozy led Jon and Bubastis into the trap and then sadly said "Goodbye, girl" to Bubastis before flipping the switch, I thought Snyder was recreating the scene in the GN just for the sake of it being a vital scene in the novel, but without applying any background depth to it in the movie. I felt this way about a number of scenes throughout the movie but especially many of the ones at the end. The scene where Ozymandias catches the bullet from the gun Laurie fires in the comic and gets up holding it between his fingers is one of the most awesome parts of the comic but in the movie I thought the recreation sucked.

I also thought some of the music selections were awkward. I'll probably have more to say about the movie when I see it again, which I'm probably going to do tomorrow or Monday. I mean, I still thought it was a darn good movie, but I also thought it could have been so much better. I thought all the acting was pretty subpar(especially Ozy) with the exception of Rorscharch, who was in a mask for the majority of the film. I found this quote from a CNN article that sums up most of my thoughts, "But too many key scenes ring hollow, undermined by flat staging and tone-deaf treatment. One of them is the ridiculous moment when Dr. Manhattan's faith in humanity is restored by the revelation of ...Well, see it for yourself, and then compare with the infinitely more nuanced passage in the graphic novel." The acting in that all important scene was pretty bad, but I think I may be judging the movie too hard based on how awesome it felt reading the comic. I'd be interested to hear what some people who haven't read the graphic novel think about the movie.

I have read the GN, and think its a fantastic piece of literature.However I think the average movie goer is going to dislike this movie. It was long, the parts that were important for development were there for the most part but I think a few things could have been left out and a few things added back in to maybe add a little more humor to keep the slow parts moving along. I get the feeling watching people leave and overhearing conversations that basically told me they were confused. The ending was fine, keeping it perfectly intact with the original would have required much more screen time. Jesus there was a lot of blue cock in the movie, like seriously 15 minutes of large blue penis on the screen.Why were parents bringing 5-8 year olds to this, really? Get a fucking clue what it's about before you bring them, it was rated R for a reason. Also I don't understand how Zack & Miri had to fight for a R rating considering how much closer I thought this could have been to NC-17 between the extreme slow motion graphic violence the constant cock shots and the sex scene which was overdone.

Yeh there were way more young kids at the movie than I thought there would be. Stupid parents. This is definitely not a movie for youngsters, maybe the parents thought that was ketchup on the smiley face.And I'm not a fan of the enhancement of the blue wang. It's like in the movie they wanted you to stare at it, while it was much more "David" like in the comic. Not that I spent a lot of time analyzing the relative size differences or anything.

However I think the average movie goer is going to dislike this movie. It was long, the parts that were important for development were there for the most part but I think a few things could have been left out and a few things added back in to maybe add a little more humor to keep the slow parts moving along. I get the feeling watching people leave and overhearing conversations that basically told me they were confused. The ending was fine, keeping it perfectly intact with the original would have required much more screen time. Jesus there was a lot of blue cock in the movie, like seriously 15 minutes of large blue penis on the screen.
There were quite a few scenes where a majority of the audience laughed when I saw it. Specifically, I recall a decent laugh during Dan and Laurie's dinner with the story about dropping Captain Carnage down an elevator shaft. There was also a really odd solo laugh when Manhattan exploded Rorschach.And yeah, I kind of expected there to be some glowing blue cack...but there was quite a lot of it. Why does he not wear clothes sometimes but wear them other times?So I ended up reading the Wikipedia article...which led me to Outer Limits...which led me to Tales from the Darkside...which led me to an episode called "Inside the Closet" and this horrifying picture from my childhood:tales2.jpg