So I was flipping through the channels just now, and on VH1 they had some who concert, one has to assume that occurred recently, and it just was so very sad to watch. Out of all music, Rock and Roll is such a "youth" music. It was borne when teenage culture itself was born. It was the first music to really be fore and about youth. And watching these old corpses play "My Generation" isn't even ironically funny. I don't know how Roger Daltrey can deliver a line like " I Hope I die before I get old" without laughing or crying or getting hit by a bolt of lightening. I don't know how Pete Townsend can do his rock windmills without breaking a hip. I really don't understand the motivation of going to see old rock and rollers. I'm not nostalgic, and I don't want to endure some terrible, depressing show, just to say " I got to see Jimmy Page's Cadaver play Kashmir before they put him into the dirt". Blue artists get to age gracefully. As you get older, the blues doesn't seem corner, but if anything becomes more poingant.. all the heart ache and pain of a blue singer/ guitarist's life can be expressed in his music. But Rock and Rollers don't age gracefully, and something like My Generation just causes me pain to watch. I'd be interested to hear from people who do go see acts like The Who, Dylan, Led Zep., the Eagles, Tom Petty... and ask why? Do you truly enjoy the concert, or are you just seeing them out of some fandom loyalty, since you've loved their music for so long? Have any of the shows be legitimately good, or do they all just mail it in and cash checks. One band I can say, that I don't believe " mails it in" is the rolling stones. Not that I'd want to go see them, but I think it might be the fact that they've been touring for so very long, that they are extremely good at it, and "professional" and they aren't some band that broke up 30 years ago, who are dusting out their greatest hits to cash a check. The stones seem to work very hard at putting on a good show, and I know they go into intense physical training before their tours. I still have no interest in seeing them, as I think seeing Keith Richards on a 60 foot screen might scare me into religion, but I can see the argument for seeing the stones..

I wen't to see Genisis last year. My expectations were not high since I had seen them live in 15 years. They sounded better than ever and their set list was mostly from the period I enjoyed the most. Pre Abacab days. Other side of the coin, I wen't to see Van Morrison 5 years ago and he was god awful.

I'd be interested to hear from people who do go see acts like The Who, Dylan, Led Zep., the Eagles, Tom Petty..
Dylan is still making lots of new music, and while he does play a lot of his old songs too, he's constantly reinventing them (not always for the better, but still).
Dylan is still making lots of new music, and while he does play a lot of his old songs too, he's constantly reinventing them (not always for the better, but still).
about 1 Dylan performance in 10 is even comprehensible. He is the person I would be least likely to see. I don't want to see him mumble through songs and mail it it. If you got a time machine, and can get me back in time to Dylan's first electric tour? Sign me up. Otherwise, I'll stick to my live albums.

It depends on whether you go to a concert for the music, the attitude or both. Musically the "old guys" kick the a$$ of any of the younger bands. A Roger Waters/Bleeding Heart Band concert even effectively maintains the attitude and muscially Id challenge you to find a better band and repertoire in the under 40 crowd.Eg over the last few months Ive seen VR, STP and Alice several times, theyve lost nothing as far as attitude, but theyve gained little in terms of their instrumental abilities (which, dont get me wrong, were high to start with, but not anywhere near the level of the old guys).Is there a large element of nostalgia in "hope I die before I get old"..absolutely, especially for those of us who were living that way at the time, but that is a minor part of what the best of those bands have to offer.

It depends on whether you go to a concert for the music, the attitude or both. Musically the "old guys" kick the a$ of any of the younger bands. A Roger Waters/Bleeding Heart Band concert even effectively maintains the attitude and muscially Id challenge you to find a better band and repertoire in the under 40 crowd.
Blank DogsTyvekCheveauJay ReatardBlack LipsHenry Fiat's Open SoreReal LosersCococomaCarbonasAcid Mothers TempleAll of these are bands that I would rather watch than some 30 year old band trying to prove they can still "rock". I love plenty of old music, but that's why I listen to the records because it captured them at a time when their music actually mattered. Seeing The Who trying to do a concert right now is just sad.

RUSH sounds just as good as they did 25 years ago. I have seen them at least 12 times since 1985. Alot has to do with the fact they are incredible musicians. I saw Page & Plant in the late 90s and was blown away by Pages guitar work but Plant had some issues. Led Zep hasnt played live (other than the O2 Ertegun fundraiser) since 1980 so most of the world doesnt know how they sound now as a band. I heard there performance at the O2 Ertegun concert was AMAZING. I hope I get a chance to see them live. I was too young to see them in there prime. I saw Roger Waters do "Dark Side of the Moon" this year and it was one of the best live shows I have ever seen...and I have been to plenty of concerts. I also saw Van Halen twice this year and was pleasently surprised ! DLR sounded pretty good and was a madman on the stage. EVH sounded great also. I saw Fleetwood Mac several times in the past 10 years and Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham on a few solo tours and found them all to be very entertaining. It can be a hit and miss though with some "Old" bands. I really thought Tom Petty this year was average and the Eagles a few years back were lame.

good thing you like hip hop then, most of those artist go away after one or two albums
To tell the truth, I'm not a huge fan of live hip hop. Notice how they almost never come out with live hip-hop albums? There are a few underground free style things, some old tapes of Biggie.. but in terms of actual live albums, they naver, ever come out with them. You know why? Because live hip hop usually sounds like sht.
RUSH sounds just as good as they did 25 years ago. I have seen them at least 12 times since 1985. Alot has to do with the fact they are incredible musicians. I saw Page & Plant in the late 90s and was blown away by Pages guitar work but Plant had some issues. Led Zep hasnt played live (other than the O2 Ertegun fundraiser) since 1980 so most of the world doesnt know how they sound now as a band. I heard there performance at the O2 Ertegun concert was AMAZING. I hope I get a chance to see them live. I was too young to see them in there prime. I saw Roger Waters do "Dark Side of the Moon" this year and it was one of the best live shows I have ever seen...and I have been to plenty of concerts. I also saw Van Halen twice this year and was pleasently surprised ! DLR sounded pretty good and was a madman on the stage. EVH sounded great also. I saw Fleetwood Mac several times in the past 10 years and Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham on a few solo tours and found them all to be very entertaining. It can be a hit and miss though with some "Old" bands. I really thought Tom Petty this year was average and the Eagles a few years back were lame.
Rush would actually be an older band I would consider seeing, since they never broke up, put on great " shows" and are better actual musicans than 95% of big touring bands. I would not go see page and plant, or Zeppelin. tey are a band I'd like to take a time machine to see... without Bonham and over 30 years since their last good album? I'll pass. I am not a fan of later, Waters-Dominated Pink floyd, so that seeing him has little interest, even if he wasn't ancient. I've heard good things from floyd fans, however. I might be talked into going to see Van Halen for irony purposes, but I imagine I'd want to pay state fair prices for a show that I think would be about 100 dollars over priced. I'm pretty cheap when it comes to irony. I don't think I'd want to see fleetwood mack in '73, much less now.

When I was 15/16 and just getting into music properly,I seen Deep Purple playing with Lynard Skynard. I was there for Lynard Skynard and I only knew 2 of the Deep Purple songs but they were a great act.Lynard Skynard's new song was "My hair's turning white, my neck's always been red, my collar's still blue," which , come on, you have to love. I'm all for the oldies doing what ever they want to, they put on a great show and made light of the fact they were grand dads. It was a bit bizarre watching it, a close relative played "free bird" at his funeral that was my first time hearing them so I had to go see them and at the time I absolutely loved it.Are the pixies considered in this? I hope not, I seen them twice, once with Kings of Leon, they pure quality. Seen them with the Chilis(was there because of the first era of the Chilis) and the pixies just stole the show.This was only 4/5 years ago and they were still amazing

Are the pixies considered in this? I hope not, I seen them twice, once with Kings of Leon, they pure quality. Seen them with the Chilis(was there because of the first era of the Chilis) and the pixies just stole the show.This was only 4/5 years ago and they were still amazing
I saw frank black of the Pixies ( Black Francis) a few years ago, and he was wretched. I don't know how the pixies would be. Of course, seeing frank black at a local Olympia club for 15 bucks and seeing like Zep. for 200 is really two different things.

Thought I'd bump this, as I'm going to see HippieFest tomorrow night in Toronto.Eric BurdonTerry Sylvester from the HolliesA guy from BadfingerFlo and Eddie and the TurtlesSomeone else I can't remember right now...