Fishing Thread

We used to catch perch all the time in upper Michigan. Oscoda Michigan used to have several Mom and Pop "buckets-o-perch" restaurants along Lake Huron. Man...good eats!My buddys sick ass boat he got last year. He's a big small mouth bass guy, spends...like thousands on shit every year. Has over 50 rods. Who the hell needs 50 F-ing fishing rods??? and has dozens of reel set ups that look like fine watches. He's clearly insane.chi1.jpg(Oak Park Illinois)
wow. Nice.
  • Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those boats are insane. A family friend took us out a few times on his Ranger and he loved telling us how those boats are guaranteed not to tip. He liked showing us even more. I don't think I've ever had more fun on a fishing boat in my life.

I just got back from canoeing on the San Juan river below Navajo Dam in northern New Mexico. Everything they say is true, it is the best trout fishing in the world.
I've had a couple special experiences in my state (Dream Stream), as well as awesome fishing on the platte in Casper.Pictures?

I didn't take my camera down to the water, and there were really no worthy camera-fish, but we caught a lot so it evened out I suppose. Here are a few of the river at least:Took this on Navajo Dam. Apparently the spot to the left of the island is one of the best trout spots in the world. But the damn guides and the people that hired them are always the first there and some of the rangers even kick other fishermen out when they come around.rzYe_NEyIVVUl3XITGTg.jpgAbout a mile down the river, the guy must have been over 80 years oldlaCmZPds2r-7SuJOx2oz.jpg1htTefuFDJ78rc4myCMF.jpg

I didn't take my camera down to the water, and there were really no worthy camera-fish, but we caught a lot so it evened out I suppose. Here are a few of the river at least:Took this on Navajo Dam. Apparently the spot to the left of the island is one of the best trout spots in the world. But the damn guides and the people that hired them are always the first there and some of the rangers even kick other fishermen out when they come around.rzYe_NEyIVVUl3XITGTg.jpgAbout a mile down the river, the guy must have been over 80 years oldlaCmZPds2r-7SuJOx2oz.jpg1htTefuFDJ78rc4myCMF.jpg
That last shot reminds me of casper. Looks awesome!
That last shot reminds me of casper. Looks awesome!
How often do you fish in Casper? I was born there and my dad used to fish the Platte all the time for trout. I think there were a few other lakes he went to around the area called Boison, Pathfinder, and the lakes up in the big horns. I would love to go back there.
How often do you fish in Casper? I was born there and my dad used to fish the Platte all the time for trout. I think there were a few other lakes he went to around the area called Boison, Pathfinder, and the lakes up in the big horns. I would love to go back there.
Twice a year, I take a two day guided float trip. Grey's reef below Alcova for 14 miles. Sometimes we float longer or different stretches depending on the guide service and what water rights they have.It's really an epic experience to catch that many fish all day. 10-30 trophy fish, every single one. It's amazing. There isn't a whole lot of skill in hooking up with them. Basically, the guide works the boat to get the correct drift, so we only have to cast 10-20 feet. Correct presentation to the large fish in a moving boat is very, very difficult, and the guides definitely earn their keep. Plus, with the wind that can present itself in the early spring, it's difficult to have a great day. It's also pretty cool to see bald eagles and other wildlife on the shores. That's a different experience than stalking, sight fishing a large trophy fish in a small pool in a small stream, which I can find all over close to denver.

going this sunday for some smallmouth, I will take a pic of anything over 4 lbs but the moon cycle is not on my side. 2 weeks ago was the perfect weekend for fishing here in Southern Ontario, stormed at night with full moon means fish are biting the next morning.

going this sunday for some smallmouth, I will take a pic of anything over 4 lbs but the moon cycle is not on my side. 2 weeks ago was the perfect weekend for fishing here in Southern Ontario, stormed at night with full moon means fish are biting the next morning.
What lake you hitting?
What lake you hitting?[/quotegot rained out have to wait for next sunday. Spent 7 hours at Rama instead, I was going to hit lake muskoka even though most of the shorelines are ruined with million dollar boat houses there are still some great spots below the railroad tracks and under a couple of bridges Acton Island being one of them. All three lakes hold huge smallmouths years ago i came in third perks place fishing contest with a 6.5 smallie. The winner was well over 7.Gov do you fish Sparrow at all? I drive past it all the time but never stop.
What lake you hitting?
got rained out have to wait for next sunday. Spent 7 hours at Rama instead, I was going to hit lake muskoka even though most of the shorelines are ruined with million dollar boat houses there are still some great spots below the railroad tracks and under a couple of bridges Acton Island being one of them. All three lakes hold huge smallmouths years ago i came in third perks place fishing contest with a 6.5 smallie. The winner was well over 7.Gov do you fish Sparrow at all? I drive past it all the time but never stop.
I haven't fished it no, but there's depth maps & info on it here: http://www.anglersatlas.com/lakes/25370/ (free sign up)It looks promising indeed and not too far. I'm heading to Balsam Lake in a couple of weeks for camping, hopefully weather will be good.

Caught this bass today on a small river next to our house, was about 4.5 lbs:V2FWKTY35-bLKbnyhlhc.jpgIt's pretty cool because you have to kayak quite a ways up the river before you get to this spot. Most of the river sucks for bass fishing because it never gets over 2 feet deep, but the largest fish hatchery in Kansas is right next to this river and this is where they release the water, so not only is it a lot deeper and cooler, there's also a lot of moving water and more places for bass to hang out. Today was pretty incredible, for about a 20 minute period I caught a bass near every cast using a topwater frog and the worm I caught that bass on. They were everywhere too, on sandbars, near rocks, on logs, not bad for a 110 degree August day.You can also see the beavers have been busy as well.

• 1 month later...
Went to the shore early this morning for some perch. Kept 24, most were around 8". Largest 10.5". Going to be good eaten tonight.
Jesus, man, you cleaned up. That's a lot of fish.
Went to the shore early this morning for some perch. Kept 24, most were around 8". Largest 10.5". Going to be good eaten tonight.perchhaul.jpg
God, I love fresh perch... Fry those ****ers up with a little lemon pepper and serve them on bread with a home made tarter sauce and a few beers.Christ. I'm going fishing today, I think.2005-2006, I had a bum who would go fishing for me. This was during a rather 'dark' time in my life and I didn't leave the house very often, so I had this shitbum I knew go fishing and I'd pay him cash for whatever he caught. Even when addled out on other bad things and mentally crippled to the point of being a complete shut-in, I still couldn't go without fresh fish to eat and since Pea Pod didn't have a "Go Fishing For You" service, I had to rely on this dude, his stolen two piece rod stuffed into the handlebar basket of his stolen bicycle and the good-graces of Lake Michigan (and it's various feeder waters) to sate my fish needs.
God, I love fresh perch... Fry those ****ers up with a little lemon pepper and serve them on bread with a home made tarter sauce and a few beers.Christ. I'm going fishing today, I think.2005-2006, I had a bum who would go fishing for me. This was during a rather 'dark' time in my life and I didn't leave the house very often, so I had this shitbum I knew go fishing and I'd pay him cash for whatever he caught. Even when addled out on other bad things and mentally crippled to the point of being a complete shut-in, I still couldn't go without fresh fish to eat and since Pea Pod didn't have a "Go Fishing For You" service, I had to rely on this dude, his stolen two piece rod stuffed into the handlebar basket of his stolen bicycle and the good-graces of Lake Michigan (and it's various feeder waters) to sate my fish needs.
lol... but getting out is the best part of fishing. Nothing beats a good fry of walleye or perch imo. I got a lot left in the freezer for another fry later this week. I scaled & butterflied a few of them which will make a good meal on its own. This is how they turned out:perchbutterfly.jpg

These are a couple of monster channel catfish we caught on the Red River Saturday morning. My dad broke his rod on the first one, and caught the second one on his light action rod with 8lb. test. He almost got spooled until we pulled the anchor. It took us about 250 yards upstream to land it. It was 35" and about 30 pounds.XhkUQZ7hZke3SWrBPfK6.pngn2H3EhRbFEQ14lDV-y83.png

These are a couple of monster channel catfish we caught on the Red River Saturday morning. My dad broke his rod on the first one, and caught the second one on his light action rod with 8lb. test. He almost got spooled until we pulled the anchor. It took us about 250 yards upstream to land it. It was 35" and about 30 pounds.
Which Red River are you fishing on? The Red I live one has some huge catfish.