Help Me Decide On A New Tv

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 42" HP Plasma from Best Buy. I've had it for years and haven't had any problems with it. I've heard a lot about burned in images on plasma's but I've never had that problem. The picture on it is really nice.Plus since it's HP I have a plug in for a computer incase I ever want to 48 table with no overlap. So I've got that going for me, which is nice.

ProTip: If you decide to go to Best Buy stop by your local post office and grab a change of address packet. Inside is a 10% off coupon for any TV over $399 at Best Buy. Saved me $140 on my recent purchase. Seriously.
They also have a lot of interest free deals, I only had to pay about $20 a month for the first 18 months then pay off the balance. Just make sure you don't send in a payment late or you'll probably get really screwed.
I have a 42" HP Plasma from Best Buy. I've had it for years and haven't had any problems with it. I've heard a lot about burned in images on plasma's but I've never had that problem. The picture on it is really nice.Plus since it's HP I have a plug in for a computer incase I ever want to 48 table with no overlap. So I've got that going for me, which is nice.
LMFAO!
Plus since it's HP I have a plug in for a computer incase I ever want to 48 table with no overlap. So I've got that going for me, which is nice.
What kind of resolution are you running in 19k x 12k?
What kind of resolution are you running in 19k x 12k?
lol I've never actually tried it. It seems like too much of a pain in the ass to unconnect everything just to see how it would look. But I'm still curious.
lol I've never actually tried it. It seems like too much of a pain in the ass to unconnect everything just to see how it would look. But I'm still curious.
I was sort of joking... Just for a quick comparison. The 42 inch HD monitors I just set up at work run in something like 1900 x 1180 or some silly huge resolution. I can get the same thing on the 17 inch widescreen monitor I have on my laptop. So your not going to really fit any more tables in without overlap than you do on your current pc config.
I was sort of joking... Just for a quick comparison. The 42 inch HD monitors I just set up at work run in something like 1900 x 1180 or some silly huge resolution. I can get the same thing on the 17 inch widescreen monitor I have on my laptop. So your not going to really fit any more tables in without overlap than you do on your current pc config.
Yeah I never thought about that until you brought it up, oh well. I guess the only thing it would do is enlarge the hideous baby/pet pictures on stars.
Yeah I never thought about that until you brought it up, oh well. I guess the only thing it would do is enlarge the hideous baby/pet pictures on stars.
Precisely. Hurry and set it up imo.
Go here for reviews:http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/Who would have thought they have an audio/video forum.In the past year, I bought:58" Samsung plasma50" Samsung plasma52" Sharp LCD42" Samsung LCD42" Samsung LCD61" Samsung DLPIf you want to mount it on a wall, you have either LCD or plasma.If you have enough room for a less than 19" deep TV, go with a DLP. It will be the cheapest by far and the picture is just as good or better than the wall monts.
I'm not really concerned about all mounting. Would you recommend the DLP over an LCD if that's the case?
Would you recommend the DLP over an LCD if that's the case?
YesYou can find a top of the line 60" DLP for $2,000 or less.http://shop3.frys.com/product/5556440The DLP is our main TV.There's a Frys ELectronics in Las Vegas. They usually have a good price. Circuit City will beat any advertised price by 10%.I bought most of mine through a wholesaler (return policy isn't as good) and they were quite a bit cheaper than Best Buy or Circuit City.Read that forum I linked to for which TV to get. Most TVs have some known issues (banding, burn in, dead pixels)What ever you pay now, it will be at least 30% cheaper in a few months.
Go here for reviews:http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/Who would have thought they have an audio/video forum.In the past year, I bought:58" Samsung plasma50" Samsung plasma52" Sharp LCD42" Samsung LCD42" Samsung LCD61" Samsung DLPIf you want to mount it on a wall, you have either LCD or plasma.If you have enough room for a less than 19" deep TV, go with a DLP. It will be the cheapest by far and the picture is just as good or better than the wall monts.
This is the best (not so) subtle brag post I have read in a while. :club:

when i researched a tv, i enjoyed using retrevo (www.retrevo.com(link(<-clickthat(duh)))). it gives easy access to a variety of different reviews, and a nice visual summary of price/performance if there are enough ratings available.

Any experiences with Vizio? I have a couple friends that have had them for over a year and love them.
Someone in another thread has a couple and swears by them. I forget who it was.
For LCD I would buy either Sharp or Samsung. There's a reason that Sharp has a massive market share in Japan for LCD TV's.
Looking at both side-by-side at Best Buy, I really had to go for Samsung, but it was mostly just the style of the TV winning out and not really any kind of picture advantage over Sharp.As for Vizios, I really am not a fan.

I have a 50'' and a 42'' Panasonic Plasma. I love them, they look great. Granted i got them for hella cheap when I worked at Best Buy, but they are still great tv's. My favorite brand after Sammy

• 3 weeks later...
So, just so everyone knows (not that you care :club: )I got this today at Fry's for $1100http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1202649425028
we care.i looked at the samsungs before picking up a sony dlp. back then samsung was making the cabinet too weak, people could press lightly on the top and distort the picture. i looked up a couple reviews of yours & they appear to have upgraded the cabinet.best of luck with the new eye candy!

Looks pretty good.I wish I had a 1080p. I got a 42" LG 1080i like 2 years ago, back when the 1080p were still super expensive and mostly pointless. Now that I have PS3, it's like, DAMMIT!Not to mention the one you got is like 700 less than mine and 14 inches bigger. Stupid electronics put me on tilt.

So, just so everyone knows (not that you care :club: )I got this today at Fry's for $1100http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1202649425028
i was deciding between that model and a 60" mitsubishi 1080p DLP just 2 months ago. both great sets, although i went with the mitsubishi in the end since our apt is so poorly designed that we have to sit a mile away from the tv no matter how we set up our living room. and because having a 60" tv means that i have a bigger penis than you. :)but yeah, nice choice. i just hope that you didn't fall for best buy's extended warranty gag.some notes on DLPs:-usually you'll want to change the picture setting from "brilliant" or "ultrabright" or whatever it is for samsungs to "natural" to achieve a more (surprise) realistic looking picture. -make sure that the tv does not have any direct sunlight hitting any part of the box, as it can mess up the mirror alignment with the temperature shifting inside-make sure you do not turn it on and off quickly. there should be some sort of flashing light on the front that tells you when it's ok to turn it off again or on again after you've just done the opposite-DLPs are technically a form of projection tv, so don't worry if it takes a second to come into focus. that's perfectly normal. just be nervous when the time it takes to focus starts to get larger-you'll have to replace the bulb about once every 3-5 years for normal use. get a professional to do this unless you're good at doing stuff like taking apart computers and putting them back together functionally.-DLPs have a bad rap since people think that slimmer is better. they're actually just a great way to save 3-400 bucks on a tv when your room is conducive to one (they do have limitations with sunlight and stuff, which sometimes means that they just ain't doable).kurt, vizio has one of the worst service records for any tv company in history. if you luck out and nothing goes wrong, good for you, but otherwise, you're in for 6 months of hell.