Uefa Champions League

Hey guys. After watching Euro 2008, I have decided to follow Euro futbol year long. The problem is, I can't figure out which team to cheer for as when I go to their website, it is really confusing. So I need a site that has all the teams listed and then someone to kind of explain how the season manifests. I see there is some sort of qualifying going on now, but for what? Thanks in advance.P.S. I am looking for a German team to cheer on.

if you want to root on a team you actually might have a shot watching, I'd pick an EPL team ( English Preimeir league) as EPL games are shown in the US much more than all other leagues combined. I'm sure there are other sites that are better than this, but soccernet is what I use...Front page:http://soccernet.espn.go.com/Champions leaguehttp://soccernet.espn.go.com/section?id=ue...gue&cc=5901German League http://soccernet.espn.go.com/league?id=ger.1&cc=5901VfB Stuttgart and Schalke 04 are in the champions league and Werder Bremen is in the qualifying rounds ( meaning they'll have to play some more matches against lower tier european teams in order to get to the final league) I know nothing about these teams, someone else will have to give their rooting recommendations. I don't follow the german league at all. Most people consider the English, Italian and spanish leagues to be the three very top tier leagues. Germany and france occupying the next tier. I would recommend, if you're interested, to watch any EPL Game you can.

You want to follow a German team? Bayern Munich, ainec.Bayern have won the European Cup (Champions League) 4 times. 3 in the 70's and 2001. And are far and away the biggest and most successful side in Germany. They won the league and cup double last season and could be a genuine threat in this season's Champion's League.They have many exciting/talented players such as:Oliver Kahn, old and well past his best but still a complete lunatic. Actually he may have retired, if not he will after this season.Phillipp Lahm, fantastic full-back and probably Germany's second best player in Euro2008, until he imploded in the final. Will bounce back though.Bastian Schweinsteiger, one of Germany's best young players.Lukas Podolski, Germany's top scorer in the Euro's, has hinted that he wants to leave though.Franck Ribery, one of the hottest properties in Europe.Luca Toni, deadly (in the league anyway) although he did dissapoint for Italy.Miroslav Klose, one of the most consistent strikers around.Lucio, a genuinely good Brazilian centre-back, also a big threat offensively.Also, in the Allianz Arena they have one of the best stadiums in the world - it even changes colour!Hope all that helps. I seem to remember all the German squads have full team lists on wikipedia.

Yep. Bayern Munich for sure.If you watch EPL (you should) I happen to be a Liverpool fan, but Chelsea is also very fun to watch.

I see there is some sort of qualifying going on now, but for what? Thanks in advance.
I didn't notice this part of your post when I first replied so I'll address it now.In Europe every country has a "coefficient" basically a ranking based on the country's performance in major tournaments and the performance of the country's clubs in European competitions. I don't know the ranking off the top of my head but would assume:1. England 2. Spain 3. Italy 4. Germany 5. France 6. Holland etc.The higher the coefficient then the more teams the country is entitled to have and are entitled to direct entry or later qualifying rounds. For example England, Spain and Italy have 4 entrants to the CL. The champions and runners-up gain direct access to the group stages while the 3rd and 4th place sides enter at the 3rd qualifying stage.Currently running just now is the first qualifying stage where champions of micro-nations (Latvia, Andorra, Luxembourg, San Marino and the like) play to perhaps progress to play in the CL proper or more likely go through to the next qualifying round to play 2nd/3rd placed sides from countries like the Ukraine, Turkey, Scotland, Belgium etc.Make it through them and they will face 3rd/4th place sides from the major nations and the champions from some of the tier 2 nations. Usually this will depend on the country's previous performance. Scotland's champions used to enter at this stage but with Celtic reaching the QF's of the CL twice now we are entitled to our champions having direct entry and having our runners-up enter the tournament in the 2nd qualifying round.All qualifying is based on 2 legs, winner on aggregate goes through. If a side is eliminated at the 3rd qualifying stage they are entered into the UEFA cup. Which is a whole other story...

A side note about Bayern Munich. Even though they are the most succesful team in Germany they are also the most hated. Their unofficial nicname is FC Hollywood due all the political in fighting that goes on within the club. If you are not bothered about a German team and don't mind following a player Chelsea have Michael Ballack who is probably the best midfielder in Europe and is certainly Germany's best player. Personally if I were to pick a Champions League to to follow for 1 season I would pick either Real Madrid or Manchester United. They both play open attacking football and are just as likely to concede as to score (especially Madrid). What ever you do don't follow an Italian team as their matches are well known for being really dull. Sadly my team, Raith Rovers, will never be in the Champions League :club:

If it's the Champions League you're interested in, Liverpool have got to be the best team to support, they have one of the best records in European history and regulary perform a lot better in CL matches than they do in the domestic competition.

if you want to root on a team you actually might have a shot watching, I'd pick an EPL team ( English Preimeir league) as EPL games are shown in the US much more than all other leagues combined.
QFT. Not being biased just because I'm English... but pick a Premiership side, no question. It's the most exciting league at present, so not only can you follow them in the CL, but also watch some great matches like BigD said, in the Premier League. You'll learn and experience about the great rivalries between teams, and see the most open, attacking football too.If you'd have asked 3/4 years ago, I'd have said pick a Spanish team... if you'd have asked 7/8 years ago, I'd have said Italian... but the Premier League is where it's at right now. (for the last 2 years, 3 of 4 semi-finalists in the CL have been Premier League teams).Manchester United are current champions, so it's up to you really.
Also, BM isn't in the chamipions league, so him wanting to support a german side in the champions league, he'd have to pick someone else.
They will be this coming season. They won the Bundesliga by a distance. Bremen were 2nd and Schalke 3rd.