We watched it tonight and I didn't think I would like it but I might even like it more than PF.What I liked was

how at the premier you are watching these Nazi's enjoying a movie where a Nazi kills all these Amercians and allies and you think, "what a bunch of a-holes and then the fire starts and you are watching them all die and you are excited about it. I think that was just pure genius.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We watched it tonight and I didn't think I would like it but I might even like it more than PF.What I liked was

how at the premier you are watching these Nazi's enjoying a movie where a Nazi kills all these Amercians and allies and you think, "what a bunch of a-holes and then the fire starts and you are watching them all die and you are excited about it. I think that was just pure genius.

Sassy point right there.
  • 1 month later...

Great movie, but it doesn't touch Pulp Fiction.I think it will definitely be re-watchable.I knew nothing about this movie before I saw it tonight, and thought the ending was exceptional. Yes, tip-toe-ing around conversations about it for six months was not easy.Everyone was fantastic, including Brad Pitt. Except Mike Myers. Come on, are you kidding me?I'm not a big milk drinker.The next time somebody wrongs me, and I know it, and they don't; when I confront them I will thoroughly enjoy my attempt to be Jew Hunter-y.The first scene was amazing. For me, it was one of those rare scenes where time seems to stop you're so enthralled in every word, every syllable, every movement, like the gas station scene in No Country, or the first time I saw girl on girl.I want to cuddle with Melanie Laurent.4 3/5 stars because it was better than a 4 1/2, but not quite a 5.

• 2 weeks later...
Strangely, from the trailers, IB looks like it has a bit of that "Burn After Reading" Coen Brothers quirkyness to it - where some of the characters turn into caricatures. For example, Jon Polito always seems like that to me, a little cartoonish, and it can detract a bit from the story for me. I am a little fearful that IB will stray too far in that direction.
Finally saw this movie and thought it was great. Very well shot. Loved the opening scene, but agree with BG that it felt a little contrived. Overall it didn't feel too long. Sort of disappointed that there wasn't much Nazi Hunting going on. My biggest problem with the whole movie is the complete historic revisionism. I mean, in real life the bad guys lose anyway - do you need to make up an alternate reality

where you get to machine gun down Hitler in a Movie Theater

? Seems like if it had just been a story about

luring a bunch of Nazis to their deaths

, then it would have been a fine piece of fiction instead of alternate reality fiction.Overall loved how the story was shot, directed, acted, and told. It wasn't nearly as graphic in the violence as I had assumed. Pitt's character was a little cartoonish, but still solid.The Jew Hunter was great - glad he got an Oscar.

i thought it was cool in the age of anti terrorism to essentially make a pro terrorism movie
Yeah, the Wachoski Brothers (Brother?) can be counted on to bring the proterrorist vibes as well.
My biggest problem with the whole movie is the complete historic revisionism. I mean, in real life the bad guys lose anyway - do you need to make up an alternate reality where you get to machine gun down Hitler in a Movie Theater? Seems like if it had just been a story about luring a bunch of Nazis to their deaths, then it would have been a fine piece of fiction instead of alternate reality fiction.
I mean, a lot of people's objections to the movie come down to this.. can you accept a movie re-writing history or can't you? I personally think it's great. So many movies do the same thing, but are far less honest with it. They make movies " based" on history, but butcher and manipulate it the history past the point of recognition. The only way that Inglorious Basterds is different from Braveheart, is that IB is competely honest and obvious in the it's historical manipulation. It never claims to be based on history, but rather makes a fictional movie using historical characters. It's not really historical revisionism, it's historical fictionalization. Might be splitting hairs there, but it's an important distinction. QT is never claiming that IB is history.Also, you should consider making that a spoiler alert,

I know it's been a long time since the movie, but there still might be people who haven't seen it, and I know I for one was shocked that they actually killed Hitler. I never thought he was actually going to die, right until the point they were shooting him. THat's another reason I liked what QT with history in this movie, he totally leveled me with his hitler slaughter.

I mean, a lot of people's objections to the movie come down to this.. can you accept a movie re-writing history or can't you? I personally think it's great. So many movies do the same thing, but are far less honest with it. They make movies " based" on history, but butcher and manipulate it the history past the point of recognition. The only way that Inglorious Basterds is different from Braveheart, is that IB is competely honest and obvious in the it's historical manipulation. It never claims to be based on history, but rather makes a fictional movie using historical characters. It's not really historical revisionism, it's historical fictionalization. Might be splitting hairs there, but it's an important distinction. QT is never claiming that IB is history.Also, you should consider making that a spoiler alert,

I know it's been a long time since the movie, but there still might be people who haven't seen it, and I know I for one was shocked that they actually killed Hitler. I never thought he was actually going to die, right until the point they were shooting him. THat's another reason I liked what QT with history in this movie, he totally leveled me with his hitler slaughter.

OK

• 5 months later...

The scene at the premier when Pitt's character tries to converse in Italian is priceless. The rest of the movie...I don't know, it was one of those movies I knew was pretty great while I was watching it (the multi-language wordplay was particularly impressive), but I never actually got into it on any level. By the end I really didn't care all that much about any of the characters and was ready for it to be over. So I guess I didn't think it was that great.

your mom didn't think you were that great.
incorrect. he is Jewish so his mom thinks he will cure cancer and then usher in world peace. sorry.Just taped this movie off showtime, going to watch it tonight......well, I already watched the opening scene which was incredible on every level. I can see why people were so adamant he win best supporting actor.

I'm not saying it's not a great movie as much as I'm saying that I wasn't nuts about it. Just like I know that Bowfinger isn't a great movie but I am nuts about it.

I am: sad panda.
I'm still holding out hope for Fantastic Mr Fox.
your mom didn't think you were that great.
Your mom didn't think you were that great.
I can see why people were so adamant he win best supporting actor.
Oh, yeah, he certainly deserved it. Guy was pretty amazing.
Thank you.
Did you know about the ending before hand?Also, the ending played a bit differently in the mind when you're in a movie theatre, watching a movie theater get barricaded and burned to the ground. Plus, you know, Hitler was in there.
No, but I had heard the hulabaloo about rewriting history, so I wasn't all that surprised.
This is my only disappointment with the movie.
This is my only disappointment with the movie.
Have you been doing some sort of bizarro-brvheart experiment these past few days? You are cut off from being my movie doppleganger.
Have you been doing some sort of bizarro-brvheart experiment these past few days? You are cut off from being my movie doppleganger.
Well, if it makes you feel any better, I almost didn't post it, because I knew you wouldn't agree.I just like realism in my movies and my initial reaction to Hitler being there was disappointment. Once I got over that, it became exciting in the planning stages of the "execution" of the plan. The joy they would have felt was clearly expressed through the actors and I enjoyed it very much.Also, COME ON! I've never led you astray... have I, Mr. Jo?
Well, if it makes you feel any better, I almost didn't post it, because I knew you wouldn't agree.I just like realism in my movies and my initial reaction to Hitler being there was disappointment. Once I got over that, it became exciting in the planning stages of the "execution" of the plan. The joy they would have felt was clearly expressed through the actors and I enjoyed it very much.Also, COME ON! I've never led you astray... have I, Mr. Jo?
I agree with the Historic Revisionism. I mean, the Nazis lost anyway in real life. This sort of came across as sort of a dreamer's fantasy: "Wouldn't it have been great to take a bunch of Nazis and Hitler and burn them alive? That'd be so cool." To me it needlessly detracted from the other well written and acted elements of the story. Everything else could have happened without having to willingly suspend my disbelief too much.
Also, COME ON! I've never led you astray... have I, Mr. Jo?
Well, your The Departed > Goodfellas statement is just horrendous.
This sort of came across as sort of a dreamer's fantasy: "Wouldn't it have been great to take a bunch of Nazis and Hitler and burn them alive? That'd be so cool."
Sort of?