:club::ts:D:D:4h that is how I can best describe my feelings on the Hanley Ramirez era. 8 year contract ftw.
Did he sign an 8 year deal? God damn it. Obviously he will be a Dodger once he is past his prime, which is par for the course.
Did he sign an 8 year deal? God damn it. Obviously he will be a Dodger once he is past his prime, which is par for the course.
At least the Dodgers have the money to sign someone of his caliber....even if it is at the wrong time most of the time :club: Hanley is the epitome of a 5 tool player. If I could start my team with anyone right now, it is a good possibility he is the one.
Hanley is the epitome of a 5 tool player. If I could start my team with anyone right now, it is a good possibility he is the one.
He would be my pick. Hits for average, hits for power, walks enough, steals bases, plays a key position (though his fielding needs lots of work), and seems to come through under pressure. (This was his third ninth inning or later HR that tied the game or gave the Marlins a lead this month).I mean I know the Sox got Beckett and that worked out for them obviously.....but I bet this has to make their fans cringe just a bit.
I mean I know the Sox got Beckett and that worked out for them obviously.....but I bet this has to make their fans cringe just a bit.
...and Lowell. We've already got one World Series out of the deal. We'd obviously love to have him, but there's no real sting there.

I would have to go with Holiday. He should of won the MVP last year and he is possibly one of the best if not the best prospect that the Rockies have produced.

I would have to go with Holiday. He should of won the MVP last year and he is possibly one of the best if not the best prospect that the Rockies have produced.
Look at age...that's why I start with Hanley over Pujols...I do believe that Pujols is the best overall hitter in baseball though. And look at Holliday's home/road splits. You don't start a franchise with someone that hits that much better in a hitters park imo...
His salary is $439,000
definitely the most underpaid guy in sports this year. of course he is guaranteed 70+ mill over the next 8 years so he'll be ok.
definitely the most underpaid guy in sports this year. of course he is guaranteed 70+ mill over the next 8 years so he'll be ok.
Agreed.... what percentage raise is that? More than the standard cost of living increase that most people get..... lol

Matt Holliday as the player to start a franchise around?? Pfftttt........he's a real good player...but come on. Not the best. His home/road splits are also a little troubling........way way way better at home.

Matt Holliday as the player to start a franchise around?? Pfftttt........he's a real good player...but come on. Not the best. His home/road splits are also a little troubling........way way way better at home.
yeah Holliday is a bit old for that honor too.Really, the only choice that makes sense is Hanley....although I could understand an argument for Volquez because of the importance of pitching and all that.
yeah Holliday is a bit old for that honor too.Really, the only choice that makes sense is Hanley....although I could understand an argument for Volquez because of the importance of pitching and all that.
Can not make an argument for a player who has thrown about half-a-season of MLB baseball, at a position where injury and early-breakdown is commonplace. Well, you could make an argument, but it would fail miserably.
Can not make an argument for a player who has thrown about half-a-season of MLB baseball, at a position where injury and early-breakdown is commonplace. Well, you could make an argument, but it would fail miserably.
Actually Volquez pitched for the Rangers so this isn't his rookie year. Of course leave Baker around him long enough and the team doc will be working overtime.
Actually Volquez pitched for the Rangers so this isn't his rookie year. Of course leave Baker around him long enough and the team doc will be working overtime.
The kids still only thrown just over 200 innings.Also I dont think Volquez would be in my top ten for starters to start a franchise with.Guys Id definitly rather have for the rest of their careers-BeckettChamberlainShieldsZambranoBillingsleyKazmirHernandezSantanaSabathiaPeavyHamelsWebbVerlanderHarenLincecumOther guys that would be close would be Cain, Sheets, Gallardo, Buchholz, Greinke, Lackey, Halladay, David Price, Kershaw, Harang, Harden, Liriano.So yeah After thinking about it Volquez would probably be somewhere near 20.
I was just trying to be diplomatic. It seems biased to say that your favorite player is far and away the #1 choice to start a new team. But yeah, he is.