Rake For Expenses In A Home Game

I would have took a deck when I leaving and wait for the douche to say something
I figure I was at least entitled to one suit from one of the two decks. I should have demanded all of the Hearts from the Red Deck.
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)3 Members: Pot Odds RAC, trussdude, ROGUE06don't even think about it.... :club:
Hmmmmmmmm................
HahahahahahahaWe used to have a regular home game, and the host used Copags or Kems and was really anal, kind of an ******* sometimes too. But a couple of the younger players were trashing the cards, which were about $25 for a set of two. So every few weeks the big winner (usally was over $500 for the night) would toss him a 20 to get some new cards. He kind of expected it, but semi-refused it, but ended up taking it. So if higher end cars/chips/felt are getting ruined, I can see the host asking for some $$$, but just taking it, and for crap ass Bicycle cards is a joke.
Usually the dealer gets a % of the rake too because people dont always tip
I think it's far more common for the house to take a cut of the dealer's tips than for the dealer to get a cut of the rake.
As far as if your winner tipping the host, that doesnt pertain to most home games, more illegal underground poker clubs. Like the underground nice clubs in "Rounders", those type of places would expect something if your winner when you leave or they probably wouldnt open the door next time when you buzz.
I've never played anywhere where the host expected a tip-out. I don't think you have either. I don't think you know anyone who has. I don't think you know anyone who knows anyone who has.
I think it's far more common for the house to take a cut of the dealer's tips than for the dealer to get a cut of the rake. I've never played anywhere where the host expected a tip-out. I don't think you have either. I don't think you know anyone who has. I don't think you know anyone who knows anyone who has.
Lol, ok, you know what your talking about. Please, continue...Edit: In fact, if you give me 15min I bet I could prove it...Edit again: Nevermind, I cant find it. I thought there was a cardplayer mag article about a dude who played in New York underground clubs and he said you always have to tip the host. And FYI, in the game I talked about earlier in this thread if I was winning I would always give the host between 3-5% and I do know people that have played in underground clubs, thanks though.
And FYI, in the game I talked about earlier in this thread if I was winning I would aways give the host between 3-5% and I do know people that have played in underground clubs, thanks though.
I don't doubt that you know people who have played in underground clubs. I do doubt that the house expects a cut of a winning session and will hurt you if you don't. 5% of the net wins is spit compared to what they're making in rake. Think about it. They're taking that from the gross size of every pot. Supposing a player won all his hands in heads up pots, he's already paid 10% of his win to the house. Nobody wins all his hands, so in reality that percentage is much, much higher. It clearly depends on the size of the rake and skill of the player, but he's probably already paying around half his win to the house. Would they want to beat up a guy who gives them hundreds of dollars of business because he won't give them an extra tip? That's just bad business.
  • 3 months later...

Played in this game again last night.At one point the "host" was standing in the doorway holding the door wide open so he could smoke a cigarette on the threshhold without getting smoke in his house. It was literally freezing outside and therefore now approaching freezing inside. He insisted on being dealt in each hand while he smoked. He'd dash back to his seat to view his cards and then back to the open door to continue his smoke. At one point he open farrelled - but when everyone else checked behind him he said: "Wait! I'm still in!!!" and refused to accept that he was no longer in the hand claiming it was his house/his rules. I folded and he won the pot with middle pair.Later another guy (Player A) who'd already bought in 5 times asked another player (Player B ) for some cash. Player A had Fronted B a buy-in earlier in the game and B had now accumulated some chips. Player B cut a buy-in from his chip stack and slid it to Player A without any additional $ being added to the table.I swear I couldn't stand it if it wasn't so profitable.

Personally when I host I am out anywhere from $50 to $100 in providing munchies, beer, supplies, etc...
You're a good host.Generally when I get together with the guys for a home game we all bring a bit of beer and throw it in the fridge. Munchies are optional. Actually I wouldn't expect the host to provide a damn thing since he was letting everyone come to his or her house to play. That should be an automatic exemption from providing anything else besides toilet paper.

Just a thought but anyone cheap enough to take rake in the situation described is probably going to be tight as a gnat's chuff (I couldn't think of a good "tight as a" comment so I googled it and that was what came up). I'd just make a point of stealing $6 dollars worth of blinds from him.

Most of the home cash games I've played were raked. The rake goes toward food/beverages/tips for dealer/tips for host.It's really not that big of a deal and sometimes we'll order a pizza and throw an extra couple bucks in. I always want to know the rake structure and I've never been to a home game that had a killer rake.

One of the most fun nights playing poker I ever had was two superbowls ago. We were in my buddies garage and one of the younger players had his GF and her friend there hanging out. The GF's friend was 21, cute, low cut top and decided to deal for tips. She made $120 that night and everyone was a winner.

One of the most fun nights playing poker I ever had was two superbowls ago. We were in my buddies garage and one of the younger players had his GF and her friend there hanging out. The GF's friend was 21, cute, low cut top and decided to deal for tips. She made $120 that night and everyone was a winner.
wow you guys are cheap. :club:

I have friends over once a month or every other month. I normally have food arranged for them. One guy always seems to ruin it for everyone. He eats as soon as someone even mentions food. Goes back and has seconds before everyone gets their first plate. He eats more than anyone. If he bust out first he will always jet before anyone can say anything about putting money in the pot for food. I don't make the food to make money. I do it because we have it at my house and it is what a good host does. If I go to someone's game and they provide food, I am generous in the money I leave on the counter for the food. It is to bad everyone doesn't do that.

The game I play in starts as a $50 tourney then people stay around for a $1/$2 NLHE/PLO cash game that is usually pretty good. I never play the tourney but show up for the cash game. The host of this game charges $5 juice for the tourney and $5 to sit in the cash game. The game isn't raked, also you can buy beverages and snacks from a vending machine he bought specifically for the game. I don't mind paying the $5 I guess, I just wish there were some tvs, or something, although there is heat/ac. I usually stay around and help pick up, cuz alot of those guys are slobs, and once he told me "this is why I charge $5" I figured it was a good enough reason.He prolly makes $150-$200 a night with the cover charge. Not bad IMO

What do you guys think of this game I played last week:1-3NL home game played once a week. Host provides a steak dinner, sodas, water, red bull, beer, liquor, and snacks. Has a huge 11 person table with a great dealer. Big hidef TV and plenty of room. Average buy in $250-$300 and the host allows regular players to borrow if needed. They take 10% to $6. Good game?