The Official Tour De France 2008 Thread!

No Team Astana, due to doping scandals, therefore no Contador or Leipheimer.Two solid American teamsCan Alejandro Valverde put together a whole Tour?Wheeeee!!!

Over/under on first doping scandal?I'm totally off road cycling these days. I used to regard LTdF as one of the greatest feats of human endurance/stamina, but now that everyone is juiced out of their eyes I find it hard to care.Track cycling is better (maybe cause Brit guys can win that lol) Keirin ftw!

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee [brag] I personally know the guy who won today's race and will be in yellow tomorrow[/brag]He's from my hometown and some months ago he was drunk-driving into some garden-fence like maybe half a mile from my house lol... :club: now TID suh

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee [brag] I personally know the guy who won today's race and will be in yellow tomorrow[/brag]He's from my hometown and some months ago he was drunk-driving into some garden-fence like maybe half a mile from my house lol... :club: now TID suh
lol...helluva time trial for Schumacher! (assuming that's who you mean...)
Over/under on first doping scandal?I'm totally off road cycling these days. I used to regard LTdF as one of the greatest feats of human endurance/stamina, but now that everyone is juiced out of their eyes I find it hard to care.Track cycling is better (maybe cause Brit guys can win that lol) Keirin ftw!
You're joking right? Doping has been part of cycling for a very long time. Governing bodies have started to care, new testing methods, revenge minded teammates, etc. are the reasons anyone is finally being caught. It had pretty much been accepted for so long that no one wanted to say anything about it. Things have changed in the last few years. That pretty much goes for every sport...cycling has not been able to avoid it.
No Team Astana, due to doping scandals, therefore no Contador or Leipheimer.Two solid American teamsCan Alejandro Valverde put together a whole Tour?Wheeeee!!!
I think 9 stages in this is a conclusive 'no'.Evans looks like the overwhelming favourite atm I think, I'm really hoping Schleck and Ricco can make big big gains in the mountains and keep it interesting down to the final few stages, but I don't think Menchov/Vandevelde/Sastre/Kohl will be able to keep up with Evans.

Is it only me, or is the Tour de France the biggest joke in sports nowadays? For something that is such a great sporting event, the controversy always outweighs the event itself. I haven't followed it in years since the French media constantly tried to nail Armstrong. It's a pretty sad event imo.

Is it only me, or is the Tour de France the biggest joke in sports nowadays? For something that is such a great sporting event, the controversy always outweighs the event itself. I haven't followed it in years since the French media constantly tried to nail Armstrong. It's a pretty sad event imo.
Not to be a bitch, but your take on the Tour is similar to those who think it's all just doping and scandal and cheating. Fact is, the Tour is doing it's best to be proactive about cleaning up the event and cycling in general. The fact that they are catching people and kicking the individuals and, in some cases, entire teams off the Tour is indicative of this. I like the direction the sport is going in and I hope people will give it another chance.
Not to be a bitch, but your take on the Tour is similar to those who think it's all just doping and scandal and cheating. Fact is, the Tour is doing it's best to be proactive about cleaning up the event and cycling in general. The fact that they are catching people and kicking the individuals and, in some cases, entire teams off the Tour is indicative of this. I like the direction the sport is going in and I hope people will give it another chance.
Maybe it's not the sport itself that I'm talking about it, more the media's take on the event. There seems to be more coverage (in North America) about the negative aspects of the sport rather than the event itself. It's really kind of sad.
Maybe it's not the sport itself that I'm talking about it, more the media's take on the event. There seems to be more coverage (in North America) about the negative aspects of the sport rather than the event itself. It's really kind of sad.
Yeah, I think you nailed it there: Negative press is more dramatic. If everything is going well, what's to report?

Finally yesterday they had an entertaining stage. Apart from the sprints at the finish in the early stages and the last couple of days it has been a pretty boring tour this year. One thing that ticks me off is how they have a guy like Mark Cavendish who won 3 or 4 stages this year, then once it gets to the mountains he quits the race completely. What is up with that? Why even be in it if you arent planning on finishing or helping out the rest of your team through the mountains? Looks like its going to come down to who has the best time trial tommorow.

Finally yesterday they had an entertaining stage. Apart from the sprints at the finish in the early stages and the last couple of days it has been a pretty boring tour this year. One thing that ticks me off is how they have a guy like Mark Cavendish who won 3 or 4 stages this year, then once it gets to the mountains he quits the race completely. What is up with that? Why even be in it if you arent planning on finishing or helping out the rest of your team through the mountains? Looks like its going to come down to who has the best time trial tommorow.
i am pretty sure if this wasnt an Olympic year Cavendish would have at least tried to finish the race. As it is he is looking to try and win the gold in the road race to cap a fantastic year and i dont think anyone can begrudge him that.