** FCHL's Toronto Rocket - Official Thread **

9/17/2008 - Pulled off a minor trade today, shipping a 4th in 2010 and Christian Backman to the Kansas City Reserves for Rob Blake. Just a minor, short-term upgrade to my defense, as we hope he can put up 40-50 points playing the top PP in SJ, and guys like Backman are a dime a dozen.The 'Donks are still looking to add one more defender, possibly two, before the season starts.
OMG JEFF! SHOP AROUND. YOU KNOW I WOULD HAVE GIVEN MUCH MORE!
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yup, just got accepted into a program at Ryerson for the fall.

You're welcome.

9/17/2008 - Pulled off a minor trade today, shipping a 4th in 2010 and Christian Backman to the Kansas City Reserves for Rob Blake. Just a minor, short-term upgrade to my defense, as we hope he can put up 40-50 points playing the top PP in SJ, and guys like Backman are a dime a dozen.
I'm thinking (and hoping) the top PP line in SJ would be Thornton, Cheechoo, Marleau, Boyle, and Michalek. Michalek has impressed and signed long term now so he'll probably be given the minutes where they can.
KEEP YOUR NEGATIVE THOUGHTS OUT OF MY THREAD MOFO!!!!!(seriously tho, he's still an upgrade over Backman)
apparently, during the columbus/dallas prospect yesterday game hitch was on the mic and said that they were gonna be looking to get the most out of tyutin and that backman will be used to play the right point on the pp, just saying...
apparently, during the columbus/dallas prospect yesterday game hitch was on the mic and said that they were gonna be looking to get the most out of tyutin and that backman will be used to play the right point on the pp, just saying...
Was a massive gamble leaving him unprotected in the expansion draft as I figured he'd get good icetime in Columbus :club:

9/18/2008 - Some good news on the arguably our top farm player.Janne Pesonen, who is kinda a boom or bust signing for the Penguins, and a player the Limidonks took with their final selection in the FCHL Expansion Supplementary Draft.According to some reports, he has looked good in training camp, not looking out of place with NHL players, but could need a bit of time to get acclimated to the North American game, and it's great news that he's willing to stick it out in the AHL, making less money, than if he returned to Finland, as speculated.We are still hoping we can call him up this season, if he makes the team, specifically the top 6, however the 'Donks have a logjam of Penguins snipers, with Sykora and Staal already under contract.

9/19/2009 - Another trade between the Limidonks and the Reserves:Limidonks receive:Reserves 2010 1st round pickBlackDevilHawks 2010 1st round pickReserves receive:Limidonks 2009 1st round pick (projected to be in the range of 3rd to 5th, pessimistically)

9/19/2009 - Another trade between the Limidonks and the Reserves:Limidonks receive:Reserves 2010 1st round pickBlackDevilHawks 2010 1st round pickReserves receive:Limidonks 2009 1st round pick (projected to be in the range of 3rd to 5th, pessimistically)
Jeff, feel free to chime in on why? what am i missing?
Jeff, feel free to chime in on why? what am i missing?
a lot of factors played into it, namely the ridiculous depth in 2009 and uncertainty with 2010. basically, there's at least a 7-15% chance that I will have the first and second overall selections in the 2009 draft; combined 47-55% total 1st overall equity. the trade has a lot of value for both sides, but I regret it because I really don't want to be thinking a whole lot about how zach's team does in 09 and I wonder how much I'll care about mine in 2010. I'm not going to lie, I'll probably ship a lot of picks away before the 09 draft for players/cap if zach decides to push for a playoff spot.

Huge night for the Limidonks in the first 2 preseason games (meaningless, obv :club:).Petr Sykora picks up 2 goals, Jordan Staal gets 1 g 1 a, and farm hand, and pobably callup Janne Pesonen picks up an assist. Tampa Bay prospect, and 'Donk farm player Vladimir Mihalik was held pointless.In the Sens/Rags game, Christoph Schubert chipped in with an assist.Things are looking good for the 'Donks, even if this is completely meaningless. :ts

9/21/2008 - Another huge trade for the Limidonks:Ottawa Limidonks receive:Joffrey Lupul, $1.25 through 2011/122010 5th round pick (Hurricanes)Newmarket Hurricanes receive:Teemu Selanne, $2.25, UFA after this season$1 salary cap for 08/09Selanne is a UFA at the end of the season, while Lupul gets this year, and 4 more on his current contract, which will pay $1.25 per season. The 'Donks feel this is a great trade, as Lupul and Selanne have similar fantasy value in this format, since the Ducks have the fewest FCHL game nights, by far. Enough fewer to make up for the fact that Selanne should outscore Lupul this year by a decent margin. The fact that Lupul is only 25, and signed on a great contract for the next 5 seasons makes this trade a huge win for the 'Donks, not to even mention the 5th rounder.

I've had Lupul in like half the pools I've ever been in, and he's always performed admirably. He single-handedly got me 2nd place in that playoff pool last year that Serge ran.
love the trade for you, but he did miss about 1/3 of last year with an injury, and was terrible the year before, so Im suprised your happy having owned him in the past. The future looks good though.I do like him a lot for this year and going forward. Just got him in a pool on Saturday, and was trying to get him off Jay too. Cant believe it only took Selanne.
love the trade for you, but he did miss about 1/3 of last year with an injury, and was terrible the year before, so Im suprised your happy having owned him in the past. The future looks good though.I do like him a lot for this year and going forward. Just got him in a pool on Saturday, and was trying to get him off Jay too. Cant believe it only took Selanne.
News to me! Here's an excerpt from trade talks we had this summer! lol"id just be looking for a similar fwd on a team i dont have, if we could agree who that would be. i thought of Lupul, but i have Hartnell."anyways, I'm not thrilled with the trade, but I dont hate it. not like when I traded away Kopitar for Cheechoo. Lupul was good when he played, but he just always seemed to be a letdown for me. The future is bright for him though.
News to me! Here's an excerpt from trade talks we had this summer! lol"id just be looking for a similar fwd on a team i dont have, if we could agree who that would be. i thought of Lupul, but i have Hartnell."anyways, I'm not thrilled with the trade, but I dont hate it. not like when I traded away Kopitar for Cheechoo. Lupul was good when he played, but he just always seemed to be a letdown for me. The future is bright for him though.
I thought we discussed a few different things, and when we considered Prospal for Lupul, it was you who balked, not me. Cause that I would have done.I do recall thinking I'd rather not have a Flyer, but that Lupul would be worth it. I could be wrong, I think it was a couple of months ago.also, when I try to get a player I like, I dont usually go with the "I really think ________ is a great player, I really want to trade for him, what do you want" technique of negotiation. :club:

Nice article on one of the 'Donks top prospects Jordan Eberle in the Edmonton Journal.

"Definite blue-chipper. I've liked everything I've seen about Jordan's game," said MacTavish, who got the same kick out of watching Gagner last year, wondering how kids that young can be wise beyond their years.
Eberle had his first point in his first preseason game last night.

2008-09 Ottawa Limidonks Season Preview:Forwards:Avery, Sean - DAL - Projection: 72gp, 18g, 29a, 47ptsAvery was picked up at the FA auction this season. If he can stay healthy, he could concievably put up 60 points. He should fit right into the Dallas top 6, and, as much as most of us dislike him as a player, for his antics, his scoring will be welcome on this team.Contract: 2.00 / RFABooth, David - FLA - Projection: 78gp, 26g, 26a, 52ptsWe're hoping for a big year from Booth this year. I was really impressed with his work ethic in the few games I saw him last year, so I went out of my way to try to get him in the free agent auction this off-season. He should be a mainstay in the top 6 on a pretty poor, but young and maturing Panther team. We're hoping he gets enough points to justify being able to sign him to a long term deal.Contract: 3.50 / RFA Chipchura, Kyle -MTL - Projection: 68gp, 12g, 15a, 27ptsUnfortunately for Chipchura, he's buried behind a lot of talent on the Canadiens. I don't expect a lot of output out of him, and he'll most likely be riding the pines for most of the Limidonk games. He could, however, have some upside, and for the $1.00 I paid for him at this year's auction, he could be worth the risk. The only way he'll really become a factor is if there are a bunch of injuries in Montreal, though. If he does somehow breakout, expect him to be locked up long term.Contract: 1.00 / RFACullen, Matt - CAR - Projection: 78gp, 19g, 39a, 58ptsCullen was acquired before the FA auction, and resigned for 5 seasons. Maybe a rookie mistake, as he's getting a bit on in age, already 31, but it's not a big deal, for $1 per season. Cullen can put up numbers, as long as he avoids injury. He may be the 3rd line center, or move to wing at even strength, but he'll get more than his fair share of PP time, and put up some numbers.Contract: 1.00 / 1.00 / 1.00 / 1.00 / 1.00 / FADemitra, Pavol - VAN - Projection: 76gp, 22g, 39a, 61ptsDemitra was picked up in the expansion draft and will be looked upon as one of the premier players on the Limidonks. Vancouver probably won't be a high scoring team, but it shouldn't affect his numbers as he's coming from a similar situation in Minnesota. His chances of being with the club past this season are pretty slim.Contract: 3.75 / 3.75 / FAForsberg, Peter - COL - Projection: 50gp, 15g, 48a, 63ptsForsberg was a gamble late in the expansion draft. We're basically just hoping he gets healthy early enough into the year, that he can either help contribute to this team, or garner some future assets in return for a contender looking to add that missing piece at the deadline. If he does play, he can still put the huge numbers up.Contract: 2.25 / FAKnuble, Mike - PHI - Projection: 78gp, 22g, 20a, 42ptsMike is unfortunately, getting passed by some of the younger talent in the Philly depth charts, so his top 6 ice time could be limited, despite most likely starting the season there. WIth the recent acquisition of teammate Joffrey Lupul, Knuble becomes quite expendable. He should be easily reliable for 20 goals in each of the next 2 seasons, so we'll be looking to move him, if there's any interest.Contract: 3.75 / 3.75 / FAKobasew, Chuck - BOS - Projection: 79gp, 25g, 20a, 45ptsThe Limidonks are hoping this 26 year old can get back to his 25 goal ways of 2 years ago. The Bruins are a pretty talented team, so he'll have no shortage of players to help him out in this quest. Locked up for 5 seasons, we're hoping he steps up in his prime and delivers the output many think he's capable of. With Michael Ryder failing to find any chemistry on the top line, this could be an opportunity for Chuck to solidify himself in the top 6 on the Bruins for years to come.Contract: 1.00 / 1.00 / 1.00 / 1.00 / 1.00 / FA Ladd, Andrew - CHI - Projection: 79gp, 18g, 24a, 42ptsSlated to begin the season in the top 6 on an explosing Blackhawks team, we're looking for big things from Ladd. As long as he sticks on the top 2 lines, he should be able to produce. Look for at least a 20 goal season from the talented youngster. Long term, we're hoping he hits his prime as soon as possible, as he'll be a FA after 4 seasons, when he's only 26.Contract: 0.50 / 0.50 / 0.50 / 0.50 / FALupul, Joffrey - PHI - Projection: 79gp, 30g, 28a, 58ptsHopes are high for Joffrey Lupul, as he was the centrepiece of the deal that dealt Teemu Selanne to the Hurricanes. He should just be hitting his prime as he becomes a Limidonk, and improving right alongside the rest of the young, talented Flyers forwards. He'll likely be on captain Mike Richard's wing, and that should lead to a lot of scoring. 30 goals should be easy to obtain this year, if he's healthy, and 40 in the future, while not likely, is definitely a possibility.Contract: 1.25 / 1.25 / 1.25 / 1.25 Madden, John - NJD - Projection: 81gp, 16g, 22a, 38ptsUnfortunately, Madden's production, although it was never outstanding, is on the decline, as he gets older. Already 35, Madden isn't expected to play a big role on the Limidonk roster this season, especially with Zubrus also on the roster, and more likely to put up better numbers. Signed for 3 more years, he's definitely on the trading block.Contract: 1.00 / 1.00 / 1.00 / FAMiettinen, Antti - MIN - Projection: 75gp, 15g, 16a, 31ptsDespite these meager projections, rumours from Minnesota suggest that Miettinen will be counted upon a lot more heavily for offensive production than he was in Dallas last season. That's good news, as for some reason we signed him for 5 seasons.Contract: 1.00 / 1.00 / 1.00 / 1.00 / 1.00 / FAPaille, Daniel - BUF - Projection: 80gp, 20g, 25a, 45ptsThe Sabres are a high powered offensive machine, but the word out of Buffalo is that Paille is getting a long look in the top 6. That should bode very well for his production. We're hoping that Paille, signed for 5 seasons, swings into his prime very soon, and ups his production numbers. 30 goals is not unrealistic at some point in the next few years.Contract: 1.00 / 1.00 / 1.00 / 1.00 / 1.00 / FASamuelsson, Mikael - DET - Projection: 72pg, 13g, 19a, 32ptsThe Red Wing forward is nothing more than a depth player for the Limidonks. While he is talented, he'll always be buried behind a plethora of offensive wizards in Detroit. He'll most likely end up in a checking role on the team, but has the hands to put up modest numbers. His future with the club depends on his situation at the end of this upcoming season, as he'll be a UFA, and getting out of Detroit could be better for his numbers. Even then, he's pretty much plateau'd as a 3rd liner. We're not expecting much.Contract: 0.25 / RFA Staal, Jordan - PIT - Projection: 82gp, 36g, 25a, 61ptsA lot is expected from the 2nd eldest Staal brother. After a terrific rookie year as an 18 year old, Staal's offense faltered last year, as he was cast in a checking line role. This season, coach Therrien has indicated he will give Jordan every chance to stick on the wing in the top 6, and that means either Sidney Crosby or Evgeni Malkin as a linemate. Staal has the skills to put in a lot of goals in his career, and should be a perfect fit as the big body, net crashing forward on either of the top two lines. We're hoping Jordan can be a big part of this team for the next 4 seasons. Staal could easily be a 40 goal scorer, regularly in this league.Contract: 0.25 / 0.25 / 0.25 / 0.25 / FA Steen, Alexander - TOR - Projection: 81gp, 24g, 43a, 67ptsWe're hoping for a big year from the son of former Winnipeg Jet captain Thomas Steen. A relatively depleted offensive lineup in Toronto means that Steen will have no shortage of ice time and power play chances this season. We're looking for a breakout year, and hopefully, a very strong 5 seasons, as he enters his prime.Contract: 0.50 / 0.50 / 0.50 / 0.50 / 0.50 / FASykora, Petr - PIT - Projection: 78gp, 27g, 31a, 59ptsSykora was the prize of a very weak FA Auction this year. Another season on Malkin's wing, a contract year no less, Sykora is poised to put up quality scoring numbers again. 30 goals should be attainable for this pure sniper, and assists will fall in his lap playing with the talented Malkin, as well as getting lots of PP time. We've got a surplus of Penguin talent here, with Staal already on the roster, highly regarded prospect Luca Caputi waiting in the wings, and boom or bust Janne Pesonen also on the farm. This means that Sykora will almost certainly not be with the Limidonks beyond the trade deadline, if he even makes it that far. Not that his contract was really worth resigning, anyways.Contract: 7.00 / RFAWeight, Doug - NYI - Projection: 71gp, 8g, 28a, 36ptsWeight is old and useless, but he could surprise as he reunites with Bill Guerin, whom with he had a lot of chemistry in their Blues days. He could be a surprise 40 or 50 assist guy this season, but it's a long shot. Unless he explodes, he won't see much time in the lineup for the 'Donks anyways.Contract: 2.75 / FA Zubrus, Dainius - NJD - Projection: 81gp, 16g, 30a, 46ptsRumours that Zubrus is falling to a 4th line spot are not good for us, with his contract. Hopefully his strong camp and preseason performance will get him back into more of a scoring role on the Devils. Zubrus was an expansion draft selection, and unfortunately, that contract came with him.Contract: 2.00 / 2.00 / 2.00 / 2.00 / FA Defense:Blake, Rob - SJS - Projection: 76gp, 11g, 29a, 40ptsBlake is poised to return to his prior form, and start racking up the points again. Moving from the Kings to a much better Sharks squad will help his numbers a lot. Hopefully he gets 1st unit PP time with Dan Boyle, and the two can go to work. Blake was acquired as a bit of a gamble in order to improve the defense immediately, and obviously has no long term value for this team.Contract: 2.50 / FAClark, Brett - COL - Projection: 65gp, 4g, 13a, 17ptsLike most of our defense, Clark isn't expected to put up a lot of points. He's buried behind a number of guys on a pretty deep blueline in Colorado. Only 31, Clark, acquired in the expansion draft, should be able to add depth to what we hope is a much improved group of defensemen in the future, as he's signed for 4 seasons.Contract: 1.25 / 1.25 / 1.25 / 1.25 / FAKostinen, Ville - NAS - Projection: 60gp, 3g, 16a, 19ptsWith Zidlicky gone to Minnesota, this young rearguard should get a lot more chances at PP time, and his numbers should reflect that. Picked up in the FA Auction, for $2.00, he could be the corner stone of our defense for 6 seasons.Contract: 2.00 / RFAMorris, Derek - PHO - Projection: 80gp, 7g, 21a, 28ptsWith Boynton and Ballard being shipped to Florida in the Jokinen deal, we're expecting Morris to step up his offensive role, and get back to 35-40 points or so. A career high of 48 points in 2002-03 would be lovely if repeated, but not very likely. Only 30 years old, Morris should be able to produce for the duration of his contract, and at worst, be a depth defensemen towards the latter years.Contract: 0.75 / 0.75 / 0.75 / 0.75 /0.75 / FAPreissing, Tom - LAK - Projection: 80gp, 4g, 14a, 18ptsLA's blueline is pretty weak at the moment, so Preissing could be in line for a significant chunk of PP time this season, although not much in the future with Johnson and Doughty set to lead them for many seasons. Either way, it'll be tough for Preissing to live up to this contract. He was acquired in the expansion draft this season.Contract: 2.00 / 2.00 / 2.00 / 2.00 / FA Schubert, Christoph - OTT - Projection: 81gp, 3g, 13a, 16ptsVersatile Schubert could be a pleasant surprise this season. At only 26, he's still maturing his offensive game, and may be given more of an opportunity this year in Ottawa, as he's looked great in preseason. Also, he's been known to move to forward on occasion, albeit in a checking line role, but has some potention to put up points there as well. We don't expect a ton, of course. Hopefully he does develop into a consistent point producer, as we've got him signed throughout his prime.Contract: 1.00 / 1.00 / 1.00 / 1.00 / 1.00 / FAVan Ryn, Mike - TOR - Projection: 76gp, 5g, 21a, 26ptsVan Ryn was acquired with the hope that he could replace some of the production that McCabe contributed in Toronto, but the Leafs actually have a decent crop of young defenders who will take away a lot of his ice time. Hopefully though, he does get some PP time, and puts up the numbers he was supposed to before injuries plagued his career in Florida.Contract: 1.00 / 1.00 / 1.00 / 1.00 / FA Goaltending:Buffalo Sabres - Through an anomoly in the FA Auction, caused by the expansion teams, we were able to snag two fantastic goaltending sets for a quarter each. Ryan Miller, having just signed a new long term deal will be the corner stone of the Buffalo team goaltending, as well as a solid blue line, and lots of youngsters on the way, including Limidonk farmhand Tyler Myers.Contract: 0.25 / RFACalgary Flames - Kipper is always capable of stealing games himself, and should be in his prime long into the max contract length, per FCHL rules. Calgary's team defense philosophy behind Mike Keenan's coaching will also contribue to great results. While both sets of goalies might have enourmous trade value, at their bargain prices, it's more likely that they both get locked up long term at the end of this season, and become the corner stone of our franchise, as we hope to be in the playoff race sooner, rather than later.Contract: 0.25 / RFA*projections are based on The Sports Forecaster Hockey Yearbook.Farm Team:Caputi, Luca - F - PIT - $1.00Caputi broke out last season on a stacked Niagara team in the OHL. He'll be looking to carry that success into his first pro season in Wilkes Barre of the AHL. He projects to be the big, physical power forward missing on the Crosby line, as early as midway through this season, but more likely, he'll get a very long look next year at training camp, depending on his success in the AHL.Eberle, Jordan - F - EDM - $1.00Eberle has impressed everyone at the Oilers camp, so much that coach MacTavish has labelled him a 'blue chip' prospect. Look for Eberle to put up a lot of goals in the NHL, as he's a pure scorer, and he should mesh well with the young talent already in Edmonton. He could make the NHL as early as 2009/10.Gustafsson, Anton - F - WAS - $0.50I didn't hear anything about Gustafsson at Capitals camp this season. Most likely, he participated in rookie camp, before returning to Europe. The Caps have him projected to be their number 2 center down the road, behind Backstrom.MacMillan, Logan - F - ANA - $0.50After a season riddled with injuries, MacMillan looks to rebound this year in the Ducks system. It'll be an important campaign, as most of the current Ducks are UFAs at the end of the season, and a good season could vault him to the NHL in 2009/10.Mihalik, Vladimir - D - TBL - $0.50According to one FCP poster, Mihalik has a chance to make the Bolts lineup this season, but most likely will be cracking it next year. Mihalik, and his 6'7" frame has drawn comparisons to Chara, and we hope his output can be along the same lines.Myers, Tyler - D - BUF - $0.50Another 6'7" blueliner, naturally compared to Chara. Myers' defensive game is what will get him to the NHL, but he has the hands, if given the opportunity, to put up some numbers.Pesonen, Janne - F - PIT - $0.50Pesonen is a boom/bust gamble at the end of the supplementary draft. He's 26 years old, and never played an NHL game. Despite that, he led the Finnish SM Liiga in scoring this past season, and the Penguins signed him hoping he'd find some chemistry alongside Sidney Crosby, and adapt his skills to the North American game. If he makes the team, he'll most likely get called up this season, making Sykora expandable sooner, rather than later.Sbisa, Luca - D - PHI - $0.50Sbisa has made it very hard for the Flyers to cut him this year, as he's impressed everyone in the organization. He's going to end up in the AHL for at least one season. Long-term, he has the skills to end up QB'ing the Philly PP.Staal, Jared - F - PHO - $0.50A bit of a flyer on a hometown boy in the supplementary draft. Jared will probably take a bit of time to reach the NHL, but the Coyotes, and myself, are hoping that once he does, the Staal genes kick in, and he starts to produce some points.Zagrapan, Marek - F - BUF - 0.5Marek was highly touted when he was drafted a few years ago, but his inconsistency has kept him in the AHL. He's a boom or bust type player, as he'll either make the Sabres as a top 6 guy in the next season or two, or he'll end up in Europe.