** FCHL's Toronto Rocket - Official Thread **

Curious to hear some opinions on this trade...

I think you made a good deal. Looks like you had cap space and were willing to use it where I wasnt.

I was offered Crosby for Kessel+Nugent-Hopkins ($2 next 4yrs)+more. I said no way to more, and I wanted a little more. Then last I heard this morning was Kessel+Horvat, when Horvat wasnt really someone he liked last week, and before I could really think about it, you took your deal.

Me having to add Kessel in as salary dump was a bit of a downer. I would have totally given up Schmaltz+first if I was you, I think you made a great deal.

HOLY CRAP, I just saw you got $5.50 for next year? WTF, where is that coming from? Wow, you made out like a bandit, I cant believe what I was being asked for compared to deal you got. Great move for you, and you got rid of Gelinas deal too. This is a total non brainer for you, sucks for me since im competing against you.

out of curiousity, why did you call it a homer deal? what are you really losing in this deal, outside of maybe Schmaltz becoming a 60pt player? I think $5.50 next year for the 15th overall pick is even a good deal! lol

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yup, just got accepted into a program at Ryerson for the fall.

You're welcome.

Well, homer only because it's Sid and the Penguins.

I agree that having to move Kessel in exchange for Crosby is probably not idea. My salary dumps are a little less likely to be all that useful, though I still think Marleau could be a useful piece.

Salary constrained this whole thing.

It started out as an offer of my 1st for Crosby (with Marleau and Doan). Rich wanted to find a way to get Ehlers in there but I couldn't find a way to add useful pieces without having to give up similar pieces to match the salary. I'm running out of deadweight salary. I could have done it for another farm player, but it wouldn't have helped me now.

Schmaltz became a little more expendable now that I should have 6 years of Panarin. Though that's a small consideration.

Then we just worked out what it would take to get both the 1st and Schmaltz. Settled on cap for next year.

Then I asked about tossing in Gelinas to get him off my books and open up another dollar for this year without having to use a buyout. I ended up taking Seidenberg back because of Rich being over the roster limit, but it's a dollar that can easily be cleared for calling up someone like Duclair to replace Doan if he ever gets his act together this season. Rich wanted buyout money for Gelinas in 18/19, so I obliged.

Now the next step is to figure out when and how to call up Ehlers. I don't *need* him now, so it may be a wait until the playoffs type of thing where I call him up if he addresses specific weaknesses in key lineups. But it'll take dropping someone, since I'm at 84.75 cap. So I'd need to make sure someone like Sharp or Hagelin or Spurgeon weren't needed in other lineups, etc.

Oh, and I think I'm my head I feel like I'm giving up a ton for one year of Crosby and it basically locks me in to my current lineup, since it uses all possible cap space. Getting cash for next year definitely helps to balance it.

Oh and the Pens don't play a ton in the playoffs. Could hurt me when Crosby and Letang are my best players at each position.

I still have a tiny bit of maneuverability, I could potentially upgrade Streit within his $5.75 hit, same as Sharp and Spurgeon at $4 each, but it would cost me more futures for marginal upgrades, so we'll see how the season unfolds.

I could potentially upgrade/replace from within if anybody takes off - Strome, Duclair, Ritchie, R. Murray, and the aforementioned Ehlers.

I made a homer trade.

Toronto Rocket gets:

Sidney Crosby ($24.75/UFA)

Dennis Seidenberg ($1.00/RFA)

$19.50 16/17 cash

$5.50 17/18 cash

The Ales get:

2017 1st round pick (Toronto Rocket)

Nick Schmaltz (farm)

Shane Doan ($2.25/RFA)

Patrick Marleau ($3.00/RFA)

Eric Gelinas ($1.00/1.00/1.00/UFA)

$0.50 18/19 cash

On the surface this is a no brainer trade if you are going for it..I assume you have a good team, not knowing the make up of the standings and status of your opponents/division mates.

Doan , Marleau and Gelinas are all underperforming, and in the case of Doan and Marleau at the tail end of their career.

Schmaltz is obviously a decent to good prospect that is playing..Whats his upside, tough to say.

Hell you got Crosby, what did you give up??A first round pick, 3 stiffs( no offense to said stiffs) and a decent prospect?

Not sure where your 1st round pick will be, but I am assuming it wont be a high pick, maybe 10-15 at best???I could be off.

Your rules in the FCHL with regards to cash I am sometimes confused on, so you need money to have Crosby on your roster, so you got cap space for this year? Hence doesnt even cost you that much, right?

You got $5.50 next year, which means that money can be used to sign better players theoretically then Marleau and Doan..??

If you are a team that is on the cusp of winning you made a hell of a trade without giving up the farm...

And you picked up a dman that has some decent numbers this year.

Thanks for your analysis, Serge.

Yeah, you're spot on with regards to the FCHL cap situation. Min cap is 45, max cap is 85. (Cap being the tradeable commodity, not necessarily the amount of salary on his books, but of course, cap needs to be equal to or greater than the salary at all times.) Rich was at 64.50 cap, so could only send a max of $19.50 over, which is why I had to part with Doan and Marleau. I would have liked to keep the latter, at least. They won't have much value to Rich, probably none, unless Marleau gets hot and he can move him, but now Rich can't send cap since he's at $45, so he'll need to take at least $3 worth of salaries back in trade. Not impossible. Say if Sharp is injured late in the year, I would consider trading or cutting him for Marleau (but I'd have to give back an asset, of course).

$5.50 next year, I'm hoping I can tack on to what I already have and bid on a higher end player. I won't be able to afford Crosby or Ovechkin, but a $10-$15 player would be ideal. I'll have like $25 and only a few spots to fill, so maybe I could. We'll see. I'll need a better auction strategy than I had this year which landed me duds like Marleau and Doan and not much else.

And yeah, I'm in win now mode. I'm currently in 1st in the league with a 12-6 record, but it's obviously early. I think I was overachieving compared to my output, so I wanted to add some pieces to improve my team before it came crashing down around me.

Now I think my team is as good as anybody's, but there's some serious competition.

Jay, Arp, Josh (cubsfan), and Adam are probably right up there with me, if not ahead of me.

At this point, anything other than a title would be a failure of a season, but that's what we play for. I'm happy to put myself in a position to win once again.

I think putting in a min and max for overall cap was the best idea the FCHL had. Puts a limit on how people can 'tank' or 'go for it' while still allowing lots of flexibility, and puts a lot of value on good contracts without totally killing the trade value of 1-year FAs

Anyone want to take a stab at ranking these forwards for the purposes of an FCHL lineup?

Aleksander Barkov

Artemi Panarin

Boone Jenner

Carl Hagelin

Charlie Coyle

Jeff Skinner

Jordan Eberle

Marcus Johansson

Mathieu Perreault

Nick Bjugstad

Patrick Sharp

Ryan O'Reilly

Sidney Crosby

Victor Rask

I think #1 and #14 are obvious clear, though I could see some disagreements on 14. It's the middle, like 3-9 that I don't have a clue about, and that's where all of the lineup decisions are made.

Anyone want to take a stab at ranking these forwards for the purposes of an FCHL lineup?

Aleksander Barkov

Artemi Panarin

Boone Jenner

Carl Hagelin

Charlie Coyle

Jeff Skinner

Jordan Eberle

Marcus Johansson

Mathieu Perreault

Nick Bjugstad

Patrick Sharp

Ryan O'Reilly

Sidney Crosby

Victor Rask

I think #1 and #14 are obvious clear, though I could see some disagreements on 14. It's the middle, like 3-9 that I don't have a clue about, and that's where all of the lineup decisions are made.

1. S. Crosby

2. A. Panarin

3. J. Skinner

4. M. Johansson

5. J. Eberle

6. V. Rask

7. R. O'Reilly

8. C. Coyle

9. A. Barkov

10. C. Hagelin

11. B. Jenner

12. P. Sharp

13. N. Bjugstad

14. M. Perreault

We're putting a lot of weight on Barkov's slow start, eh? Kid was a 0.660 player last year. He's the one giving me the most trouble. Can't figure out if I should play him blindly or sit him.

He's not producing and he appears to be injury prone.

I would rank Barkov at least higher than Coyle, and prob O'Reilly and MaJo.

Johansson is way too high on that list for me. Ahead of Eberle? wow.

I'd prob put Barkov+Eberle ahead of Johansson

Johansson is playing with Backstrom and on 1st PP unit.

I like Rask too, but I have him below Eberle and Barkov too. I've talked about it before, but Rask is such an enigma. Never scored at any level and then all of a sudden he's a 1C and put up more points than he did in the AHL. That line is all about Skinner though, who I also have.

I rank MoJo pretty high. He's off to a fast start and playing consistent top 6 and too PP so it could be a career year.

Problem is he's more of an assist guy and he's been a bit lucky scoring early so he'lol almost certain settle back down into a very solid 0.500 pace of mostly assists.

I like Coyle a lot because the Wild seem to love him and give him every opportunity to succeed. First line, first PP basically by default.

Eberle is pretty valuable if he sticks on McDavid's wing, too.

And Barkov is my trouble spot. He's too good to struggle for much longer. His line is scoring too, which is weird. Well, at least Marchessault is scoring.

Bjugstad is a wildcard. Was a 25 goal guy before getting injured a million times. Hopefully he bounces back.

Perreault wasn't my #14 as well.

Johansson is playing with Backstrom and on 1st PP unit.

Yes, I know. And.....this means he will now be 30goals and 30 ass?

fwiw, he played mostly 1st PP unit last year too. and hes played as much with Tom Wilson as he has with Backstrom this year.

You're entitled to your opinion of your boy Marcus,(hey look, hes on the Gothic roster!) but I hope its not based on 14gp at 25% shooting. :)

You could be absolutely correct on him, and he may be better than Eberle+Barkov, but I wouldnt count on it based on the evidence of the last few years. But MaJo is in the sweet spot of maybe having a higher gear and raising up his game a level. He may, may not, but I would take Eberle+Barkov.

Dont tell me, you also think Anisimov is a 80pt player now, right? I cant seem to agree with anyone these days! :) (thats more for FCHL/Zach, than at you Dale)

• Like 1

Maybe Johansson is getting better and Eberle (Oh look! He's on the Whalers) has leveled out.

I think Anisimov (drafted by Canadian Gothic) is at least an 80-point player...probably closer to 90...maybe 95-100. Should win the Art Ross. Marchessault should finish 2nd.

I'm not sure MoJo is getting better.

Eberle and MoJo are the same age and Eberle has the better history. Even if he has leveled out, he's still a good scorer playing with a top player in the league.

MoJo benefiting from a high shooting % and maybe he's improving but I don't think his ceiling has increased at all, which is at best 60 points, most of which will be assists.

Eberle had more points last year in fewer games (and 8 more goals) and they have the same amount of points this year, even with Johansson's hot hand.

Eberle has 99 more points and 65 more goals in 8 more NHL games.

Eberle ok, Im a fan obv, but I dont have Barkov in FCHL or AHL, and I would take him ahead of MaJo any day too.

I think Barkov is a much worse argument than Eberle. Eberle you could argue without McDavid might be about MaJo like, but Barkov is just in a very small sample slump. I'd be shocked if MaJo > Barkov in FCHL pts this year, next year, or over the course of the next 5yrs.

Barkov is 21 and in his 4th NHL season. He scored 28 goals and 59 points last year in 66 games.

This talk has been very helpful. He's firmly in my top 6 after thinkin about it.

1. Crosby

2. Panarin

3. Barkov

4. Eberle

5. Skinner

6. ROR/MoJo/Coyle/Rask/Sharp

11. Jenner/Hagelin

13. Bjugstad

14. Perreault.

Good forward group though.

I have less confidence in Jenner returning to his form last year than I do Barkov (and even Sharp to a lesser extent)

• 2 weeks later...

Help quick...

3 of: Sharp, R. O'Reilly, Coyle, M. Johansson

and 2 of: Ristolainen, Streit, Hamilton

Sharp, Coyle, Johansson

Ristolainen, Hamilton