** FCHL's Toronto Rocket - Official Thread **

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yup, just got accepted into a program at Ryerson for the fall.

You're welcome.

Paul Postma.He and Kichtin have certain similarities and some slight differences. We both drafted them in the 5th round of FCHL. They were both drafted in the later rounds by their respective NHL teams (Kichtin 5th, Postma 7th), and they both scored 80+ in years following their draft year. That's where the similarities stop. Postma was drafted in his draft year, but not in FCHL. Also, Postma is 6'3" and built like a stick where Kichtin is 5'11" and built like a twig.Postma scored 29 in his first AHL season and jumped to 45 this year, so I guess that's a good sign for Kichtin. Of course anything in the later rounds is a gamble.

I asked a poster on LGP.com who is easily the best judge of talent that I know of. No idea how he doesn't work as a scout. Anyways, here's his review of Kichton:

I don't want to hype him up too much and get you all excited. But print out a copy of that draft, the round, maybe today's newspaper and just put it away for a couple years...2, 3. Because when you lay down the hard proof that you drafted Brenden Kichton 3 years ago when you're setting your starting lineup in October 2014, people will be impressed. This kid was a victim of circumstance in 2010. Jared Spurgeon, for one, was on the team and there's another prominent WHL d-man that was also ahead of him and ate up big time (his name escapes me, for some reason I keep thinking of Norm Ullman, but of course that was a great pre-expansion Detroit Red Wing, so it probably isn't him). Spurgeon played 78 minutes a night.With them gone, Kichton has shined. He skates well, he's well positioned, he moves the puck well, he can score fairly well, he's smart, he's physical, he has a good work ethic, good hockey IQ, good everything...except for size. A little bit undersized, but his willingness to be chippy has done him well. Style-wise, he almost reminds of the matured version of Dan Boyle (Boyle is a player I used to rail against constantly as overrated, horrific defensively and a victim of poor mental lapses - now I defend him because his maturity level and professionalism on the ice have done him well, he gets the game just fine now and has been a rock in San Jose and without much help on the back-end surrounding him either).You wonder a little bit about the size, sure, you worry about durability which is understandable. Honestly, you worry about the fact that he was passed over the previous draft (if you're an NHL GM) - for better or for worse, he's overage kid that you're looking at and you wonder...at the rate he's going, I don't doubt he'll be an NHLer. Detroit had brought him to rookie camp and he came out of it without a contract, which is a tiny bit of a red flag - maybe. But I also believe he got hurt during said camp, so whatever that's worth, I don't recall all the details naturally.My opinion, you got a steal.My outlandish opinion, the kid has a more successful NHL career than Strome. Now wouldn't that be something...
I asked a poster on LGP.com who is easily the best judge of talent that I know of. No idea how he doesn't work as a scout. Anyways, here's his review of Kichton:
What's lgp.com?Better judge than Bob even???
What's lgp.com?Better judge than Bob even???
LetsGoPens.comBob doesn't even watch hockey, he just gets lucky. This guy is basically a bible of hockey knowledge, especially prospects.

I was set on strome up until I looked at my farm. having tavares and strome is very bad, and let's be honest, drafting the better player and attempting to extract fair value is much easier said than done. take it from me, a veteran of 700 FCHL trades.

• 1 month later...

Ottawa Limidonks:N3OH_Z8sA-ieMBcxXiqu.jpgscSJk2kA0PqveOXm7AV4.jpgThis year's pickups are the ones listed as RFAs.The guys listed in green on the main roster are farm players just there so I can keep track of their stats for the season and see how they rank relative to the rest of my team.

Can someone teach me how to do my team all sexy like that like Zach's spreadsheet..Nice pretty colours and shit..I wish I was computer savvy.

serge do you really not use excel in your job?EDIT: can you hire me?
Like I am not that much of a computer newbie..I am just not very good at excel..I dont need to use it in my job..Ill hire you...
seriously I have enough money to move to CA now. I just need a work visa or something. US degree in finance and banking experience has to be worth something, right?
Im sure you can get a good job here.

Some good recent news from Limidonks' camp. The team will be looking to compete for it's first ever playoff berth, and looks poised to do so, being led by the talented Marian Hossa and Joe Thornton and a bevy of depth forwards.8DkmXyz0KpgWQBVCvdxf.jpg1ScDquC0OMtbv36uzFox.jpg

Opening day lineup vs KC Reserves:Marian Hossa (CHI) OTMichael Ryder (DAL)Andrew Brunette (CHI)Todd Bertuzzi (DET)Nick Foligno (OTT)xBrett Clark (TBL)Kurtis Foster (ANA)Kevin Klein (NAS)xBuffalo Goalies (vs ANA)It's obviously a short night. Jeff's lineup:Viktor Stalberg (CHI) Bryan Bickell (CHI)Dan Clearly (DET)Matt Belesky (ANA)xxJack Hillen (NAS)Nick Hjalmarsson (CHI)xxDallas Goalies (vs CHI)

I just happened to have gone through all of the camp rosters to see which of my guys were still around, and then saw Dale post his results, so I figured I'd post mine:Farm players still in camp:Ian Cole - STL - 50/50 shot at bottom 6 pairing in STL, could be the #7, or returned to the AHLErik Gudbranson - FLA - should make the team out of camp on the second pairingTyler Myers - BUF - first pairing out of campLuca Sbisa - ANA - will make the team out of campPK Subban - MTL - superstarAlex Burmistrov - WPG - should be the 2nd line center out of camp, worst case scenario, an expanded role from last season as the 3rd line centerBrett Connolly - TBL - has impressed so far, good shot to make the opening night roster, has been skating with Stamkos and St. LouisJordan Eberle - EDM - lockLandon Ferraro - DET - would be shocked if he made the team, surprised he's stuck around this long, I think he's bound for the AHL or WHLJamie McGinn - SJS - probably ends up in the bottom 6 in SJ, but is insignificant fantasy-wiseJan Mursak - DET - had a shot at cracking the bottom 6 in Detroit, but was injured recently and will be out 2-3 monthsMaxime Sauve - BOS - don't think he'll make the team, but he should be among the first few call-ups in case of struggles or injuriesJeff Skinner - CAR - superstarRyan Strome - NYI - doubt he makes the team, but could get 9-games like Nino last year, probably heading back to destroy the OHLUnder the Toews rule, Jamie McGinn and Tyler Myers would have been forced call-ups, or drops, in McGinn's case. Under the new FCHL rule, Myers, Subban, and Skinner would have been forced call-ups for the upcoming season.I also have Philip McRae on the roster, whom I got in the auction, still sticking around with the Blues. Probably a late cut, first call-up after the Blues added a bunch of depth guys in the off-season. Evgeny Dadonov is also a guy who could possibly miss out on making the Panthers, but he was a regular last season, so I don't expect any changes this season.

I drafted Philip McRae and Steven Stamkos as underagers in the same draft. He definitely has skills, but St. Louis has a lot of worthy candidates for top-6 minutes.