Daniel Day 1 Main Event

This is also pretty sneaky IMO, i hope the gun carrying ettiquete in the Rio is that you must be unarmed at all timeAccidently On PurposeA pot was raised to 350 and a player called the floor after he "accidently" put too many chips out into the pot. The extra chips would actually be a raise of 1,050 more. The floor was called and the player stated that he only wanted to call the 350 raise. The floor forced the chips to go into the pot. Two players then called the 1,050 raise.After the flop, the "accidental" raiser bet out 2,200 and everyone folded. The player then showed AA . Several players were upset over the play, but the floor was not called back.
this is why live poker can be so much more fun than online.
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice 2008 run Dan. GL on the upcoming WPT tour. HEY Paul, TID, The main event that is.
Thanks a lot! I hope I can keep my mind in the game with my Dad and all. (I know... excuses, excuses but his cancer really is on my mind)I just hope I don't let Daniel and everyone down after all the hype about my recent success. I hope I don't have a bad beat story to post until November!! :club: Any advice from former ME guys on what you do the day before the big one?
DN as I said too you last year you still seem to have troubles with donkfests. Not specifically referencing to the last hand.After watching lots of the Small ball video on PVT I'm wondering about SB's effectiveness against weaker players? When you are playing against people at a level where some of them are only playing their cards not thinking about what others have do you think small ball can be an effective strategy?
Dude, I know I am a million miles from being Daniel but I hope that you won't be upset if I tell you of an average players success story with small ball and the donks. If you can be true to the game and realize that skill will get you through 3/4 of a small 40-150 player tournament before luck goes above the 50% margin, sb will do great against donks. You just have to keep the testosterone level down and not let that idiot force you into a big pot when you still have enough that you can trap him later. (not much you can do when you flop trips though, sorry Daniel) There is nothing like laying down J-J pre-flop to an all in donk and then raising the limping donkey 2.5x with 5d-3d on the button with a flop that is Ad-2c-4s and the donk moves all in with Ax-8x! (Just don't let Annie Duke know that I told you to play the one gapper. She would kill me!) The problem I am seeing with the pros and small ball, so far, is that there are so many donks that just want to take home a story. They want to say "I knocked a champion out!" or "It took a champion to knock me out!". They will play anything anywhere and play the damn thing out! It's like they have K-J and the flop is 4-3-9 and the champ goes in for 2/3 the pot and the guy says, "You know, I have six outs to get a K or a J.", and then they do. And here sits the biggest donkey in the world thinking that I have a chance.
DN as I said too you last year you still seem to have troubles with donkfests. Not specifically referencing to the last hand.After watching lots of the Small ball video on PVT I'm wondering about SB's effectiveness against weaker players? When you are playing against people at a level where some of them are only playing their cards not thinking about what others have do you think small ball can be an effective strategy?
I'm def not Daniel, but I'll give my reply to this... I think the reason that small ball can be effective against most players no matter their strength, is because you are risking less to learn more. You are constantly putting the players at your table to decisions, and the reactions they give you are the information you need to control them (or handcuff them as some say). When you are consistantly putting pressure certain players will react certain ways and will develop patterns that you will have an opportunity to see more clearly because they are making decisions at such a great frequency. The idea isn't to play a 4-6 and flop 2 pair or a straight and try to get the money in, the idea is to better understand your opponents so you can know what their raises and calls mean, or typically mean, that paired with properly reading the texture of the board to know when you can take a pot down. I find this can be particularly effective in high blind or short stack situations. Also very effective in frustrating various opponents. Many players will open up their starting ranges against you, but playing in position we would welcome that, as our control over pot size with our bet sizing allows us to easy avoid traps with minimal risk. An idea that is also covered in sklansky's Advanced tournament poker book has a relatable thought he applies to preflop hands that I feel would better relate to flop and post flop play; As we will have position most times we will be checked to Our hand is either going to be strong medicre or weak, and this could come into play in our decision making. It is going to be better for you to be betting with hands that are strong that we will def not be folding to reraise, or very weak, so we can easily release the hand to a reraise. However, if our hand is mediocre, such as a pair with a gutshot, or pair with a flush draw, etc, it would probably be better for us to play our hand more cautiously, to take the free card if we feel we cannot call a raise. Having position coupled with the small pot size we should be able to also get to the river fairly cheaply, typically for the same price our flop bet would have cost us if our opponent chooses to bet. Obviously if we have the undrawable nuts we can look to trap by checking. Now I'm not sure if all this directly applies, or if this is too weak a play or a way of playing that only works well against certain players, like I said I'm no Daniel nor even that great of a poker player as my results show, but just my thoughts, right or wrong.
lol daniel sucks cuz he was down to 14,000... i mean seriously... you must suck to lose chips...(s/w)sigh railtards.
WELL U LOST UR CHIPS TO ME LAST NIGHT IN THE MSOP,AND U DO NOT SUCK,UR A VERY TUFF PLAYER HOPE TO MEET YOU IN ANOTHER TOURNEY.
WELL U LOST UR CHIPS TO ME LAST NIGHT IN THE MSOP,AND U DO NOT SUCK,UR A VERY TUFF PLAYER HOPE TO MEET YOU IN ANOTHER TOURNEY.
Well said.
<sw> But that's no reason to go broke. Here's an example of how not to go broke with quads, from a couple days ago.Seat 5 - SHOFO0 ($19.54 in chips)Seat 1 - GOKHANCIMENS ($15.32 in chips)Seat 2 - YANIRBI ($19.97 in chips)Seat 3 - POTATOMAN79 ($21.42 in chips)Seat 4 - CAOS009 ($17.88 in chips)GOKHANCIMENS - Posts small blind $0.05YANIRBI - Posts big blind $0.10*** POCKET CARDS ***Dealt to POTATOMAN79 [3d 5s] POTATOMAN79 - FoldsCAOS009 - Raises $0.40 to $0.40SHOFO0 - FoldsGOKHANCIMENS - FoldsYANIRBI - Calls $0.30*** FLOP *** [Kc Qc Kh]YANIRBI - ChecksCAOS009 - Checks*** TURN *** [Kc Qc Kh] [Ah]YANIRBI - Bets $0.10CAOS009 - Raises $0.50 to $0.50YANIRBI - Raises $0.90 to $1CAOS009 - Calls $0.50*** RIVER *** [Kc Qc Kh Ah] [Qh]YANIRBI - ChecksCAOS009 - Bets $1.50YANIRBI - Calls $1.50*** SHOW DOWN ***CAOS009 - Shows [Qd Qs] (Four of a kind, queens) YANIRBI - Shows [10h Jh] (Royal flush) YANIRBI Collects $5.56 from main potSee, you play your quads like CAOS009 here and you're still in the game...Daniel obviously overplayed his set...</sw>GG DN. Great series.
I don't think he particularly played them so he wouldn't go broke. What's confusing about reading this is that YANIRBI flat called with the absolute nuts on the river. WHAT THE SMEG IS HE DOING???!! CAOS009 value bet the river; can you honestly tell me that if YANIRBI had raised all-in that he wouldn't have called?Basically, what I'm saying is that if YANIRBI had done what he should have, CAOS009 was going broke.As far as the Main Event goes, set over set sucks. Not a lot you can do. The guy would have probably put his money in with jacks or better in that spot - no real way to put him on nines.Think I'll be rooting for Cunningham or Mortensen from now on.
I don't think he particularly played them so he wouldn't go broke. What's confusing about reading this is that YANIRBI flat called with the absolute nuts on the river. WHAT THE SMEG IS HE DOING???!! CAOS009 value bet the river; can you honestly tell me that if YANIRBI had raised all-in that he wouldn't have called?Basically, what I'm saying is that if YANIRBI had done what he should have, CAOS009 was going broke.As far as the Main Event goes, set over set sucks. Not a lot you can do. The guy would have probably put his money in with jacks or better in that spot - no real way to put him on nines.Think I'll be rooting for Cunningham or Mortensen from now on.
im pretty sure he flat called so he could show everyone he had a royal