Hello,I know some of you may think I am a big head and thought I was ready to go pro.After getting by bank roll to around $9000 I have had a terrible month and have lost about $7000 of this.This was mainly due to playing high stake SNG'sPlease can I have your opinions on how I get back on the right track.And not the obvious 'Dont play high stake SNG's' please.Thanks.

Grow some humility, for starters. Accept that there are many good players lurking out there, and that you must learn much to consistently beat them.Start at low limits. Learn. Move up. Learn more. Repeat as necessary. Read SSHE while doing so.

Please can I have your opinions on how I get back on the right track.
Matt Foley could probably give you a pep talk. You can find him in a van down by the river.
Matt Foley could probably give you a pep talk. You can find him in a van down by the river.
Who the hell is Matt Foley ?

How did you get your bankroll up to $9000 in the first place? You have to go back to basics. If you don't have the patience to start over then you'll go completely broke.Just play the same games you did before, the games you beat, and work your way up. And the next time you make a big jump, hopefully you will have learned something on the way down and the way back up.Good luckP.S. People shouldn't flame this guy. This would assume that everyone here had never lost any money playing poker. And we all know, despite the big talk on here, that everyone here has lost some money playing poker.

Move up through the limits/SNG stakes more slowly this time.Wish I could offer something more, but this seems like a slam dunk.Does anyone have a good BR standard for SNGs? I would guess at least 50x the SNG buyin...

Move up through the limits/SNG stakes more slowly this time.Wish I could offer something more, but this seems like a slam dunk.Does anyone have a good BR standard for SNGs?  I would guess at least 50x the SNG buyin...
Thanks for the advice, for those that dont know I built $400 into $8000 on Party Poker but have had a few problems recently that have made me lose the plot. God bless.
  • 2 weeks later...

Holy i had to make a search to find some posts by you, havent seen many lately. How big of stakes were your playing when you were doing SNG's? I used to swear by SNG's too, but have gotten into limit a lot more lately. It helps you learn a poker a lot more by seeing many more turns and rivers than you will ever see in no limit. Good luck shark wondering where you were...

Who the hell is Matt Foley ?
matt_foley.jpg
Hello,I know some of you may think I am a big head and thought I was ready to go pro.After getting by bank roll to around $9000 I have had a terrible month and have lost about $7000 of this.
No, I thought you were a bad poker player and poster. You had a big head and did not listen to us, nor did we believe many of the things you claimed. This bankroll loss is not a surprise and was predicted by more than a few of us.

Everyone who has tried to go pro has busted out and had to drop down in limits from what I've read - e.g "DN moved to Vegas got busted moved home - moved to Vegas got busted moved home......." etc etcDrop back to where you built the roll to start with whether cash or SNG's and then hit the high limit SNG's again and with what you learnt first time you should be a stronger player.If the high limit SNG's bust you again then take up snakes and ladders :club:

Don't move up in limits or whatever just because you feel superior to the players you're playing against. Remember, you want to be better than everyone at the table. That's the key to making a lot of money. If you move up before you're ready to, and if even 2-3 guys are more skilled players, you're going to end up losing or breaking even.I remember when I first started 8 months ago. I would play the $5 sit-n-go's and reguarly beat them. Then after a week or two, the $20 prize didn't seem like anything to me anymore. So I moved to the $30 sit-n-go's. Then after awhile, the $150 first place seemed like pocket change. Soon enough I was moving up out of sheer greed and wanted to win more even if it meant I was outmatched by the other players.The thing about poker is, you begin to lose the whole concept of money. What seemed like a lot in winnings two months ago doesn't seem like anything now - at least for me. But regardless of the money, I don't want to sit in any game where I don't feel like I am one of the two best players there. And I'm a humble mother f*cker.So remember, even if you have the bankroll to move up to say, 5-10 NL cash games, is it really profitable if you're about dead even in skill with the other 9 players there, with maybe 1-2 guys that are really, really good?

Actually I should say that you do want to play with guys better than you so that you can learn from the best. But that's what tournaments are for. At least in my opinion. Cash games, if you're playing with 9 other sharks and you're outmatched, you may learn a lot from playing with them, but you're going to get eaten alive.