John Bonetti Passes Away

Too soon? PM me and lmk when the adequate amount of time has passed for me to give my opinion on a public forum. I'm not arguing about this, just saying that being PC is kinda silly imo.
Yes. Too effing soon. You have a picture of Carlin as your avatar in tribute to his death - show some similar class.
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Too soon? PM me and lmk when the adequate amount of time has passed for me to give my opinion on a public forum. I'm not arguing about this, just saying that being PC is kinda silly imo.
10:53 AM Est. on Sunday, June 29th, 2008
I wouldn't call it being PC so much as being respectful. Death is quite a sensitive issue, and I think there is a time to express your opinion (or even a general consensus) and there is a time to stay quiet and say nothing. 99% of the time, I'd say express your opinion, but this is one of the rare cases where I think it is more appropriate say nothing.
And you became the arbitor of respect, class and what people can and cant say when? Cuz I didn't get the memo. JC is entitled to his opinion. If Bonetti was a toolbox to JC, he has every right to wish him a worm filled pine box. He didn't, but he made it known that he didn't agree, and fwiw, on this matter, his opinion carries a little more weight than most. He's probably actually interacted with him. Most of the well wishers havent. So, until you become the Dean of Free Speech, or lack thereof, you should SHUT IT. Well, that's ironic, me telling you to shut it because you told JC to shut it. Weird. Either way, I'm fine with that irony.
He didn't, but he made it known that he didn't agree, and fwiw, on this matter, his opinion carries a little more weight than most. He's probably actually interacted with him. Most of the well wishers havent.
Really because ESPN's coverage is fairly in depth these days. HA! so there goes that theory Ronald.
I'm pretty sure saying nothing or simply saying RIP would have been a little bit more respectful.
What if I don't believe in whatever RIP stands for? What does that even mean? Some weird abstract saying that people just say as an empty gesture and no one really understands. I probably have different views on death and loss which I won't get into atm, but I usually find people's reactions to stranger's deaths very bizarre and maybe I just don't get it. I've never understood how people can go from saying "this dude is a jerk" to "he was a very good person" over the night of their death, it happens ALL THE TIME. Maybe saying nothing is a better idea, but I'm no politician and this is a public forum. I actually thought I was being respectful by NOT mentioning what he's done to make me disagree with the "gentlemen of poker", meh I guess I just lack sensitivity, or religion, or something.Sorry if I offended anyone who actually knew the guy personally and thought he was a true gentlemen of poker.
Yes. Too effing soon. You have a picture of Carlin as your avatar in tribute to his death - show some similar class.
Carlin was awesome...imo...and his views on death were pretty awesome, and totally against the whole "RIP" "Tribute" bullshit, which is why I put the picture up. I'm pretty sure some people talked shit about him in the OT "Carlin dies" thread, but you don't see me going over there and saying "too soon :club:", I guess he wasn't a poker player so it's alright to say he wasn't a good guy.

Firstly, I was the one who started all the anti-Carlin shit, because I don't care for tribute-paying and I thought it was passively amusing to start some shit and nonsensically bash him.I would like to hear this story about Bonetti's chodeliness, so either post or PM, please.Also, I completely agree with your sentiment w/r/t false respect for dead people who were hated in life. The best was the reversal when Penis Pad (Brandi Whatever-Her-Name-Was) offed herself, and all the people who had been making jokes and toying with her unstable mind started talking about her as a great-but-tragic figure.

Didn't know the man and I didn't see the USPC where Daniel beat him either. But I can offer my condolences to his family and those that were close to him.

Firstly, I was the one who started all the anti-Carlin shit, because I don't care for tribute-paying and I thought it was passively amusing to start some shit and nonsensically bash him.I would like to hear this story about Bonetti's chodeliness, so either post or PM, please.Also, I completely agree with your sentiment w/r/t false respect for dead people who were hated in life. The best was the reversal when Penis Pad (Brandi Whatever-Her-Name-Was) offed herself, and all the people who had been making jokes and toying with her unstable mind started talking about her as a great-but-tragic figure.
He called me an "idiot little shit" or "idiot piece of shit" I forget which, when I showed him a bluff and said nothing else. And he berated the dealer pretty bad 2 out of the 3 times I played with him, the one time he didn't he was winning a ton of hands. I never said he was a bad guy, he might have been great off the tables, just said I don't think he's the gentleman of poker or whatever. He was pretty mean.
He called me an "idiot little shit" or "idiot piece of shit" I forget which, when I showed him a bluff and said nothing else. And he berated the dealer pretty bad 2 out of the 3 times I played with him, the one time he didn't he was winning a ton of hands. I never said he was a bad guy, he might have been great off the tables, just said I don't think he's the gentleman of poker or whatever. He was pretty mean.
I have to say I agree with JC here. I never understood why people's deaths suddenly cleanse them of all the shitty things they did. I don't care how nice of a family man he was, or that he staked some busto poker players at one time or another, if you treat dealers/other players with zero respect then you're just an asshole. Calling JC what he did is completely classless and I understand why JC would come on here and clear up the fact that John Bonetti wasn't as nice as he seemed.

In his defense, the dealer was probably giving him marginally weak cards. I know how thick-headed dealers can be; I've stood over them, with my elbow and fist cartoonishly cocked, threatening harm if my cards don't improve, and yet still they remain no greater than chance. It's like they want you to be pissed.

In the time of someone's death it is better to say nothing than say something negative. I don't believe in false praise, but there are better times to say neagaitve of someone. But, that is only my opinion, I will not hold it against PPS (or anyone for that matter) for saying what he believes he should say.

I have to say I agree with JC here. I never understood why people's deaths suddenly cleanse them of all the shitty things they did. I don't care how nice of a family man he was, or that he staked some busto poker players at one time or another, if you treat dealers/other players with zero respect then you're just an asshole. Calling JC what he did is completely classless and I understand why JC would come on here and clear up the fact that John Bonetti wasn't as nice as he seemed.
qft. just because someone else like PH says he is a good guy doesnt mean that a) he sees who he really is or B) he isnt saying nice things because he also is a guy who ignores the bad shit somebody did before they died and portray them as a saint etc. esp if you dont know the guy and havent had personal interactions. jc has, no one else in this thread has had as much as him so i will go to his reaction. death doesnt mean you dont call a spade a spade anymore.lol that smiley face is supposed to be a b )
I'll take Hellmuth's opinion, formed over about twenty years (and probably a couple of hundred interactions), over someone who's had a couple of brief interactions over the last year:
so you can be good to your friends and dicks to people you only meet once, twice, or thrice and be considered an 'all around good guy' (or whatever)?
In the time of someone's death it is better to say nothing than say something negative.
Why because I might offend him? Is it better to make up something positive that isn't true than to say something negative that is true? I'm trying to think who the meanest douchiest dude I've ever played with at a poker table was........... lets say sam grizzle dies. Dude is straight up scum....I've seen him throw the entire muck at someone, I've seen him berate dealers, and try to start fights. If he dies, is it good for me to say "RIP Sammy, you were one of the true nice guys in the game, your ethics and good nature will always be remembered"? if not, and I decide to stay quite about him being a douche, how much time has to pass before I can give my opinion on him being a douche? Just curious.... I wouldn't ever say someone deserved to die, or say "good" when I hear someone's dead, but I will also never say good things about a guy I didn't like, just because they died. Here's a very smart and funny dead guy to lighten up the mood, and give people some perspective on their sensitivity...
And you became the arbitor of respect, class and what people can and cant say when? Cuz I didn't get the memo. JC is entitled to his opinion. If Bonetti was a toolbox to JC, he has every right to wish him a worm filled pine box. He didn't, but he made it known that he didn't agree, and fwiw, on this matter, his opinion carries a little more weight than most. He's probably actually interacted with him. Most of the well wishers havent. So, until you become the Dean of Free Speech, or lack thereof, you should SHUT IT. Well, that's ironic, me telling you to shut it because you told JC to shut it. Weird. Either way, I'm fine with that irony.
yeah!
yeah again to all you dopes who never knew him but thought he was such a great guy.