John Bonetti Passes Away

John Bonetti, 1928-2008PokerNews staffers at the Rio have received word of the passing of three-time WSOP bracelet winner John Bonetti. Bonetti, who passed away in Houston, was a relative latecomer to the game who nonetheless quickly established himself as one of the fiercest competitors around. Said a saddened Phil Hellmuth, a close friend of Bonetti's who relayed the news, "[He would have been] a huge star if the cameras had come five years earlier." Arrangements and a possible tribute are pending; PokerNews will have a full feature on Bonetti's career in the near future.poker suffers another big loss today

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

GG John, WP

John Bonetti- A true gentleman and ambassador for the game.He will be missed.-Jon

Damn! :club: That sucks. Pretty sure he and DN were close as well. RIP.
I was watching ESPN Classic late one night a few weeks ago when the tourney where DN and Bonetti went HU for the title (US Poker Championship, i believe) and he said on there that Bonetti was like a father figure to him at that time. GG John....GG.Edit: The '99 USPC, i believe.
I was watching ESPN Classic late one night a few weeks ago when the tourney where DN and Bonetti went HU for the title (US Poker Championship, i believe) and he said on there that Bonetti was like a father figure to him at that time. GG John....GG.Edit: The '99 USPC, i believe.
PokerBay's got it: 1999 United States Poker Championship - Winner: a 25 year old kid named Danny Negreanupicture1cj2.pnghttp://www.thepokerbay.org/details.php?id=2420

RIP John Bonetti. I remember watching some of last year's WSOP broadcasts where he was at the table being shown. He seemed like a really nice guy with a great sense of humor and an entertaining player to watch. He was a great represenative of the game. He will be missed.

John Bonetti- A true gentleman and ambassador for the game.He will be missed.-Jon
While I might feel it is in bad taste to bring up the subject today....JB is getting baked by a few posters on 2+2 that played with him. It seems they would not consider him a gentleman or an ambassador...fwiw
not the place or the time
Too soon? PM me and lmk when the adequate amount of time has passed for me to give my opinion on a public forum. I'm not arguing about this, just saying that being PC is kinda silly imo.
Too soon? PM me and lmk when the adequate amount of time has passed for me to give my opinion on a public forum. I'm not arguing about this, just saying that being PC is kinda silly imo.
I wouldn't call it being PC so much as being respectful. Death is quite a sensitive issue, and I think there is a time to express your opinion (or even a general consensus) and there is a time to stay quiet and say nothing. 99% of the time, I'd say express your opinion, but this is one of the rare cases where I think it is more appropriate say nothing.
I wouldn't call it being PC so much as being respectful. Death is quite a sensitive issue, and I think there is a time to express your opinion (or even a general consensus) and there is a time to stay quiet and say nothing. 99% of the time, I'd say express your opinion, but this is one of the rare cases where I think it is more appropriate say nothing.
He didn't get into details, which was probably as respectful as he could be having played with the guy and wanting to give at least a little bit of his .02, especially after people who didn't actually know him were saying things to the contrary.I don't have an opinion either way, but just pointing it out.
He didn't get into details, which was probably as respectful as he could be having played with the guy and wanting to give at least a little bit of his .02, especially after people who didn't actually know him were saying things to the contrary.I don't have an opinion either way, but just pointing it out.
I'm pretty sure saying nothing or simply saying RIP would have been a little bit more respectful.
how is it hard to resist when he just passed away?
Well first someone who doesn't actually know him said things to the contrary, then someone said that people on 2p2 were saying the opposite. Someone here who actually has played with him who knows the truth. So it makes it pretty tempting to just let people know which one it is.