daniel's bad habit at table

I am very happy to see that Daniel and Lori got back together.After winning 2 WPT events, It is normal for any human tothink himself to be immortal.Classic mistake lot of winners make is :they assume since they are in top of the world in one particular field (whether it be any game, acting, singing or business), their opinions on various things in life must probably be right.I was playing with Daniel in Reno, Bellagio 25k, Rio, Bay101in the last 2 months.Daniel is understandably little kocky.But not any where close to the level how 90% of otherpro players would behave after winning 2 big WPT events.Why do I think he is getting kocky!You sit in a table and you talk to a friend 3 or 4 tables awayin such way that people in 15 people could listen to yourconversation.As soon as a new player come to the table you welcomehim loudly and ask him what he does for living in the sameloud voice so that 50 people near you could feel yourpresence.There is 8 other men sitting at the table. You are conveyingmessage to the table that, "I am the boss" here.It is not just the words. Your tone, your look everythingradiates the message "I am a superior human being".Daniel you call barry an egoist.He doesn't go around telling other that he would playany human for 500k freezeout in any poker game.Even though he is probably capable of it.

My experience in life is that people's perception of you is clouded by their own prejudice. Daniel's loud over the top style is easily interpeted as conceited in light of his success. But I feel when I see him on TV he is a guy who loves life and is just being himself. The stories about how he acts when he gets together with old friends is proof that the guy just loves being a loud, fun loving attention getter. Further prove, to me, that he is grounded is his desire to have a relationship with his old girlfriend. Do you have any idea with his money and fame and position at Wynn's how easy it would be to go through a parade of beautiful women? Stu Unger?Another thing to realize is that when Dan shows up at a poker tournament everyone is checking him out. I am sure that can get a little uncomfortable that whenever you sit down everyone is giving you that little check out of the corner of their eye. When Dan is yelling over to the other table he probaly thinks he's showing everyone the regular, not stuck up, guy he is. Unfortunately for Dan, no matter what he does there will be a good percentage of people that think he is just full of himself. Personally I think Dan is a good guy who has the giddiness of a guy who just can't believe this is all happening to him.

I think you are way off here. Part of poker is your table image. If you can project the image that you are a "superior human being" then why not do it? Someone will be afraid of you, push that person around, and someone will get all puffy-chested and want to prove that they can take you down, they will make a mistake and you can capitalize on this. I dont see it as anything wrong. You want people to fear you and you want people to push you when they have nothing. Its part of being a good player.

I've been a loud guy since the first grade. I used to be a class clown, always messing with people... that hasn't changed and I'm not sure it ever will. As for Lori and I splitting, it had NOTHING to do with me being cocky after two WPT wins...

calling DN kocky on his own turf......No Barry doesn't go around telling people he would play anyone for a $500k freezeout. He writes them off before a challenge and says that him and four others are the only ones capable of winning at top level.hmmmm.

Don't let the haters get you down DN, you probably took his stack and he is vv bitter about it. You come off as a considerate caring guy to me, maybe a little too nice and too sympathetic for your own good. This site is great and I love that you let us hear your inner thoughts. Btw I was surprised how happy I was when I heard you and Lori are getting back together; your blog has become like my favourite soap opera or something and I find myself hoping that you and Lori live happily ever after.

Poker is a psychological game too man! I've been in pokerrooms with no talking and pokerrooms where people wouldn't ever shut up.. It's just the type of personalities at the table.. As DN so simply put it earlier he was a class clown kind of guy and he plays PROFESSIONAL POKER.. Do you not expect him to ever talk to people while hes putting in 15 hour sessions? lol

LewFather,Cards and conversations always went together.Probably it always will.It sure is one of the nice part of playing poker.Some minor amount of needling now and thenI sure consider to be part of the game.Some times it just happens that 2 people in the table start talking loudly about a thing/topic which rest of thetable knows nothing about. If they talk for few minsabout it, it is pretty normal. But when they go onand on it gets annoying to the rest of the table.There is no law against someone's fundamentalright being a jerk or a clown. It is just a social etiquette.--------------------When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

Guest XXEddie
I've been a loud guy since the first grade.  I used to be a class clown, always messing with people... that hasn't changed and I'm not sure it ever will.  As for Lori and I splitting, it had NOTHING to do with me being censored after two WPT wins...
:shock:Daniel said a swear!!!:shock:
LewFather,Cards and conversations always went together.Probably it always will.It sure is one of the nice part of playing poker.Some minor amount of needling now and thenI sure consider to be part of the game.Some times it just happens that 2 people in the table start talking loudly about a thing/topic which rest of thetable knows nothing about. If they talk for few minsabout it, it is pretty normal. But when they go onand on it gets annoying to the rest of the table.There is no law against someone's fundamentalright being a jerk or a clown. It is just a social etiquette.--------------------When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
feeling a little threatened by Dan at the table? may be a little bit of inferiority complex as well? Attack of the clones (wannabe's)!!! also there is a pretty big difference btwn being a jerk AND a clown. most people understood it since they were a child. "when i became a MAN, i put away childish things." ??? hmmmmmm ...
I'm not sure if I would criticize someone in the manner you did here, in a place where it is probably not agreed with, and in an intentionally flamatory tone, then quote a Bible verse (1 Corinthians 13:11) to add the last little needle.The verse you quoted, in your mind, may be a needle at DN, but you must also look at is reflectively. Criticism can be / often is childish.
I am very happy to see that Daniel and Lori got back together.After winning 2 WPT events, It is normal for any human tothink himself to be immortal.Classic mistake lot of winners make is :they assume since they are in top of the world in one  particular field (whether it be any game, acting, singing  or business), their opinions on various things in life must  probably be right.I was playing with Daniel in Reno, Bellagio 25k, Rio, Bay101in the last 2 months.Daniel is understandably little kocky.But not any where close to the level how 90% of otherpro players would behave after winning 2 big WPT events.Why do I think he is getting kocky!You sit in a table and you talk to a friend 3 or 4 tables awayin such way that people in 15 people could listen to yourconversation.As soon as a new player come to the table you welcomehim loudly and ask him what he does for living in the sameloud voice so that 50 people near you could feel yourpresence.There is 8 other men sitting at the table. You are conveyingmessage to the table that, "I am the boss" here.It is not just the words. Your tone, your look everythingradiates the message "I am a superior human being".Daniel you call barry an egoist.He doesn't go around telling other that he would playany human for 500k freezeout in any poker game.Even though he is probably capable of it.
Your full of it or you got him on a bad day, Daniel Negreanu is not a kocky player a kocky player is some one like Phil Hellmuth, Just like everyone everybody has bad days hes only human i bet you have said or done some pretty crappy things to so don't judge. And you may off got the wrong impresion from Daniel i'm sure he didn't mean anything by it.
Your full of it or you got him on a bad day, Daniel Negreanu is not a kocky player a kocky player is some one like Phil Hellmuth, Just like everyone everybody has bad days hes only human i bet you have said or done some pretty crappy things to so don't judge. And you may off got the wrong impresion from Daniel i'm sure he didn't mean anything by it.
So, are you actually Phil Laak or just a Phil Laak fan?

I wouldn't say he's cocky,Daniels just a very outgoing person. A friend has been to Vegas a few times and she told me every poker player there is either cocky or full of themselves. Lord I'm gonna regret saying this but they are her words not mine, and I quote "I've never met a more childish,egotistical man in my life." When I asked her who she was talking about she said Phil, well my first thought was Hellmuth but when I asked her she said Laak, man was I floored. I had the privlage of meeting Phil and I thought he was quite nice. Sorry Phil but I will say it again they are her words not mine. My brother actually met Daniel and said he was very nice and polite.

Who were the Five that Greenstein named? When Daniel was at OSU yesterday he was ripping on Greenstein, it was hilarious. Good luck Daniel playing Mimi Tran, sounds like you had a tough go against Oppenheim. And Daniel is one of the nicest humans ive ever met in my life. Most poker players and most famous people are unnecessarily pretentious and or mean. Daniel isnt like that at all. If I won two big WPT events, Id be much more pretentious than Daniel is. If he was just another guy off the street, you would never know he was a phenomenal poker player, cuz he's just a good guy, not like Phil Helmuth!!!

Alot of people like to drop names in these sites."Don't drop names, it makes you look bad."Robert Deniro told me that!

Who were the Five that Greenstein named?   When Daniel was at OSU yesterday he was ripping on Greenstein, it was hilarious.   Good luck Daniel playing Mimi Tran, sounds like you had a tough go against Oppenheim.  And Daniel is one of the nicest humans ive ever met in my life.  Most poker players and most famous people are unnecessarily pretentious and or mean.  Daniel isnt like that at all.  If I won two big WPT events, Id be much more pretentious than Daniel is.  If he was just another guy off the street, you would never know he was a phenomenal poker player, cuz he's just a good guy, not like Phil Helmuth!!!
ivey, reese, brunson, giang and greenstein. They are pretty good from what I have seen, although greenstein is the ugliest.
  • 2 weeks later...

While I disagree with the tone of the original posters message, I find it humorous the blanket defense of Daniel. I like Daniel, I think he's a great person based on the limited exposure to him I've had.But if anyone else was doing that kind of loud obnoxious talking at a table, you would ALL flame him for being an conceited full of himself jerk. So I find the defense without reference to the original intent of the OP hypocritical....he was saying he feels DN is getting kind of cocky based on his recent experience with him. Based on the evidence he gave, I'd have to agree.Again, if someone was sitting with me doing the same, I'd think he was a jerk. As I have about many people who do that kinda stuff. So has everyone else here thats played enough to experience that. Is everyone allowed to use that kind of 'psychological advantage', or is it just ok for Daniel?Mark