Playing On Someone Elses Account

every post you make it seems like you are in a different world. You don't take in one thing posted, and actually after all this, have still not realised TJ's actual point
LOL this is what I'm trying to point out in the posts I've made in this thread. I_fold is either like 9 years old or is foreign with a very loose grasp of the English language.
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can agree with someone and still disagree with the way they present things and the individual points they make. This isn't about big name pros and how often they are 3bet and how they deal with it. This is about whether it is alright to play on someone else's account if you know that other professionals are doing the same, thereby creating an unfair advantage against you. This also isn't about people 3betting "ivey and daniel and barry because of who they are", it's about a known player having an advantage on a player he knows without the player knowing who is behind the screen name.This comes up in HSNL cash games often and was once a topic of concern regarding Urindanger and Trex313 (brothers that apparently used the same account), as well as some people playing on Patrik's account. When someone's tendencies are different than your usual reads due to it being a different player, it becomes an advantage for the unknown player.The statement you made that I bolded just boggles my mind and I have no idea why you even typed that. That's what the whole debate is about.
i also stated after that, that i was sure i had worded everything poorly

Good player playing on unknown account = taboo.I agree. Okay, what about these:1) A well known online player lets his kid play in a tournament on his account. Or something similar (bad player on good players account).2) Random unknown nobody A plays on random unknown nobody B's account.Technically they are all the same offence. Is one more/less acceptable than another? If so, how acceptable?

Good player playing on unknown account = taboo.I agree. Okay, what about these:1) A well known online player lets his kid play in a tournament on his account. Or something similar (bad player on good players account).2) Random unknown nobody A plays on random unknown nobody B's account.Technically they are all the same offence. Is one more/less acceptable than another? If so, how acceptable?
I think all of it should be prohibited. It's not hard for a new person to make a separate account. BTW #1 might even be illegal if said kid is under 18.
I think all of it should be prohibited. It's not hard for a new person to make a separate account. BTW #1 might even be illegal if said kid is under 18.
They are all prohibited.
I'm saying the regs are swithcing and playing on other accounts.. if it wasnt against TOS I was going to start doing it.
BTW I agree that it is highly unethical to play on someone else's account even if it were allowed and I wouldn't do it.
:ts:club:

The reason why I made this post was because It seems whenever im somewhat deep in a tourney or sweating someone that is.. that there is someone with like 3 total tourneys played.. yet they are playing great MTT poker. Obviously this person just doesn't turn into a superstar in 3 tourneys.. so its obv someone playing on a different account. If they know how I play, yet I don't know who they are because they are hiding on a different screen name.. then it creates a disadvantage for me. Its very difficult to "adapt" to a player when you don't really know who that player is. FWIW I wont be doing this, but I wanted to see if it was looked down on by the poker community and/or considered cheating by the pokersites.

Unethical, imo. You'd be representing yourself as someone else, definitely against any site's TOC's.I hope I get so well known eventually that I feel the need to change my name to stop getting 3-bet :-D
I wouldn't bother. They'll still suck out on you, no matter what your name is :club:
The reason why I made this post was because It seems whenever im somewhat deep in a tourney or sweating someone that is.. that there is someone with like 3 total tourneys played.. yet they are playing great MTT poker. Obviously this person just doesn't turn into a superstar in 3 tourneys.. so its obv someone playing on a different account. If they know how I play, yet I don't know who they are because they are hiding on a different screen name.. then it creates a disadvantage for me. Its very difficult to "adapt" to a player when you don't really know who that player is. FWIW I wont be doing this, but I wanted to see if it was looked down on by the poker community and/or considered cheating by the pokersites.
meh, I don't think you can say that anyone who has played three tournaments, and is playing what seems to be good MTT poker, is a person using a different account. 1) a great run of cards 2) a good cash player playing some MTTs 3) a new player who is well prepared and has studied 4) a player new to the site 5) a live player starting to play online that's just a few other possibilities. I honestly don't think it makes too much of a difference to your equity in tournaments. obviously I don't agree with using multiple accounts, but it's not a big deal, like it's not going to change the world of poker or anything
hi <3yeh i mean u obviously cant just play on someone else's acct. instead of your own but there are a million people, including on this forum, that have made another acct. on full tilt to get rakeback etc. I dont think that you creating another acct. is unethical but playing on someone else's acct. who will normally play different than you just creates a huge disadvantage to your opponents. And hell maybe its time for the light 4 bet shove to ATTACK THE POKER SCENE! weeeeeeeeeps. ifold08 ur dumb.
If you play a tournament on someone elses name.. yet don't enter under your own name as well( multi accounting) .. is this looked down on by the poker community?
In my opinion it's the exact same thing that when Sorel got caught playing someone else account deep in a major...... Is it looked down ? YES... Is it unethical ? YES..... Can it be stopped ? NOIn a perfect world, everybody would only have one account and would have to play that account only....
I haven't played all that much online since early June or so due to WSOP and having to work a ton when I got back. So unless the game has changed dramatically in the last 2 months, TJ I just think it's a trend. While I play "less" nitty that I used to, I still get 3 bet WAY TOO MUCH considering how tight I am. I think as your online reputation increases, people will want to play back at you a ton. The resteal 3 bet has become a weapon even the most retarded people have in their arsenal.Case in point. Playing teh Sunday Million last week, I get 66 on button and 2.5x raise. SB...who is on Monkey Tilt from some semi bad beats, but worse play tbh ships in a total of 10 bb's. Big blind folds and I snap call and she shows 8c6c. Well obv she wins the hand and I "lol...tilt much" in chat...she goes..."What? That's a STANDARD RESTEAL...and who snap calls 66?"So even people who improperly understand the concept of the resteal still try and use it in their game. Also...playing on another persons acct. is cheating imho.
you made a standard raise on the button... perfect oppurtunity for a resteal imo

Look at this from the perspective of the players creating new accounts. Why are the doing it? They're doing it to hide their identity. Your screen name is the only way for people to identify you and connect your characteristics as a player. They're trying to gain an edge by misleading their opponent's. Seems shady enough to me. People know they're doing something unethical if they're creating accounts to hide from regular opponents.When did WhatArunAA win another big tournament? Or what was the third? I'm so out of the loop.

When did WhatArunAA win another big tournament? Or what was the third? I'm so out of the loop.
"On Sunday, May 25th, T.J. DoubleS00ted Slifka of Nevada accomplished one of the most impressive feats in online poker history - winning three Sunday major tournaments on three different sites within a seven-month period. After outlasting nearly 800 opponents this past Sunday, T.J. took down the UltimateBet $200k Guaranteed for $46,000; winning the tournament under his "WhatARunAA" account."
"On Sunday, May 25th, T.J. DoubleS00ted Slifka of Nevada accomplished one of the most impressive feats in online poker history - winning three Sunday major tournaments on three different sites within a seven-month period. After outlasting nearly 800 opponents this past Sunday, T.J. took down the UltimateBet $200k Guaranteed for $46,000; winning the tournament under his "WhatARunAA" account."
Nice! Congrats TJ.

What if you switched to a different account because you have someone staking you and they want you playing on their account so they can keep an eye on your progress?

What if you switched to a different account because you have someone staking you and they want you playing on their account so they can keep an eye on your progress?
It's against the TOC on Stars and FT. This isn't a gray area. People may not think it's a big deal but it's simply wrong. You're only risking both accounts being frozen, the monies being confiscated and a lifetime ban from the site. no biggie
It's against the TOC on Stars and FT. This isn't a gray area. People may not think it's a big deal but it's simply wrong. You're only risking both accounts being frozen, the monies being confiscated and a lifetime ban from the site. no biggie
I agree with that statement and that is almost exactly what I said to the person who used this as the reason he had an alternate screen name.

Sorry to bring back a thread that turned sour but I have a question. Basically the consensus(sp?) was that playing on someone elses account is unethical and douchy.So how about Patrik Antonius playing on Roland De Wolfes account? In Jman's(OMGClayaiken) c-raise thread on 4 he states how he's 75% certain it was PA on De Wolfe's account. I assuming noone has double standards but is PA basically cheating as was said above and its not acceptable? Do FTP have the same rules as Stars so he is breaking them?link before complaints: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=659