Knowledge Is Good

"I've never once in my life been rude to someone that was trying to politely share their religious views with me. At least in person, anyway." -- This statement by Speedz reminded me of something.Question: Do you shut the door on the mormons and jehova witness' when they ring your doorbell? (question is to everyone...not just Speedz)I can only assume they go door to door in most areas...they do here.About 6 months ago, some JW's rang the door and I invited them inside. They declined but wished to converse on my porch so we sat down and talked for a while. At one point the woman took out a book and offered it to me. I took the book and invited her to return in a few weeks to discuss it after i had time to read it. The look on her face was priceless. You could tell she was so used to getting rejected by Christians, atheist, buddhist, mormons and many others that it shocked her for someone to listen to their views. (actually pretty interesting group)About 3 months later... they returned and we sat on the porch and discussed things about the JW's. We actually agreed to disagree on some things... she saw things my way...I saw things her way.

"I've never once in my life been rude to someone that was trying to politely share their religious views with me. At least in person, anyway." -- This statement by Speedz reminded me of something.Question: Do you shut the door on the mormons and jehova witness' when they ring your doorbell? (question is to everyone...not just Speedz)I can only assume they go door to door in most areas...they do here.About 6 months ago, some JW's rang the door and I invited them inside. They declined but wished to converse on my porch so we sat down and talked for a while. At one point the woman took out a book and offered it to me. I took the book and invited her to return in a few weeks to discuss it after i had time to read it. The look on her face was priceless. You could tell she was so used to getting rejected by Christians, atheist, buddhist, mormons and many others that it shocked her for someone to listen to their views. (actually pretty interesting group)About 3 months later... they returned and we sat on the porch and discussed things about the JW's. We actually agreed to disagree on some things... she saw things my way...I saw things her way.
no birthdays would be a deal breaker for me. There is a GIANT jw congregation in West Palm Beach. There is an auditorium where they used to have minor league basketball and hockey games. Those teams went under and the JWs bought the auditorium to hold services there. And they pack the joint. It's pretty amazing.Congregation is about 92% african american from what I could tell. Dont know if that ratio holds true for most JW congregations.

I have copies of some old Watchtowers that prophesise Christ returning in 1914, 1917, 1925 and the big one in 1975 and I used to show this to the JWs, then ask if they knew the penalty for declaring yourself a prophet of God and getting just one prophecy wrong was death.They literally used to walk in the street, not the sidewalk to go around my house every Sat.I also have a copy of the court transcripts of one of the 5 men who translated the New World Translation where he admits under oath, that he cannot read, write or speak Hebrew, Greek or Aramaic.Funny thing is he was the one with the highest credentials that was on the translation committee.Now begin the we think your religion is just as wacky derail attempt, followed by lame-o quote: "I believe in one less God than you", followed by self congratulating posts pretending that you won.

no birthdays would be a deal breaker for me. There is a GIANT jw congregation in West Palm Beach. There is an auditorium where they used to have minor league basketball and hockey games. Those teams went under and the JWs bought the auditorium to hold services there. And they pack the joint. It's pretty amazing.Congregation is about 92% african american from what I could tell. Dont know if that ratio holds true for most JW congregations.
WOW! Here...it is just the opposite.... about 95% white. Yea...that was one area that we had an impasse. They are very strong about not celebrating birthdays...especially of JC. Reason: A) They question the date of Dec 25th...which I also do. B) No where in the Bible does Jesus or the apostles say that we should celebrate the birth of JC. No where does it say that I'm supposed to eat oatmeal for breakfast either but I did. They may be a bit more literal than I am... i dunnoNow...the mormons... thanks to a book recommended to me by Balloon Guy.... totally a different story.To each his own... I guess. I will, and often do, listen to them explain their beliefs to me.
Question: Do you shut the door on the mormons and jehova witness' when they ring your doorbell?
I politely thank them for stopping by and say that I'm not interested in switching faiths. Then I wish them good luck and shut the door while pretending I don't notice that they're drawing in a breath to go on with their preaching. It's really the best way to go for me...maybe shutting the door before the conversation is fully over is bad, but a lot of them go for a pretty hard sell, and if I let them ramble on I'd start with the rudeness and ridicule.
Now begin the we think your religion is just as wacky derail attempt, followed by lame-o quote: "I believe in one less God than you", followed by self congratulating posts pretending that you won.
Dude, by now you know it's not about winning or losing...it's about making you people (yeah, that's right, I said "you people") look stupid. Which I guess is a win...so I take back the whole thing about it not being about winning or losing. But, I mean, really...your religion really is just as wacky. They all are in some ways. And I can say that because I know you agree with me on most levels, since I only believe in one less god than you.I win!
They are very strong about not celebrating birthdays...especially of JC. Reason: A) They question the date of Dec 25th...which I also do. B)
You mean the birthday of the Roman-Perso god Mithra, the Greek god Dionysus, and a few other pre-Christian gods/dieties? Or the Winter Solstice? Or the ancient Egyptian myth centered around the solstice, where the sun dies around the 21st and is reborn on the 25th? Or the birthday of Horus?I can't imagine why you and they would ever question the validity of the date being Jc's bday... :)On a side note, my stylist (i'm from cali, we dont have barbers, we have stylists) is a JW and I always forget around the holidays and feel awkward when I say something about Christmas.
WOW! Here...it is just the opposite.... about 95% white. Yea...that was one area that we had an impasse. They are very strong about not celebrating birthdays...especially of JC. Reason: A) They question the date of Dec 25th...which I also do. B) No where in the Bible does Jesus or the apostles say that we should celebrate the birth of JC. No where does it say that I'm supposed to eat oatmeal for breakfast either but I did. They may be a bit more literal than I am... i dunnoNow...the mormons... thanks to a book recommended to me by Balloon Guy.... totally a different story.To each his own... I guess. I will, and often do, listen to them explain their beliefs to me.
Who the hell cares about December 25th being Jesus' birthday. I've known it is was a random date chosen by Catholics, because of witches celebrating the Winter Solstice, since I was 5. That doesn't mean that Jehovah's Witnesses aren't retarded. They are. The founder of their religion was adamant that only 144,000 people would go to heaven, even though it's not Biblical... so what happened when they had more than 144,000 followers. God gave him a new revelation. This is basic cult. You can't be seriously thinking that anything they say holds water. I mean, I knew you were dumb... but COME ON! [insert some nice sounding valediction]

I think it's extremely rude, in general, to ring my doorbell and disturb my day to sell me something, be it produce, religions, or girl scout cookies (though I will buy from girl scouts, as I'm hopelessly addicted to those lemon cookies) Unless I am in a particularly playful (read "stoned") mood, I will say "not interested" and shut the door on them. I do not care in the slightest if this is considered rude, because I feel them ringing my bell and disturbing my masturbation day to be extremely rude. Lincoln-Douglas be damned, I'd want to be a fly on the wall for the great JW-Hollywood debate.

it always amuses me when you reference something that I know. I do forget that you are from my hometown. Saw a ton of concerts at the WPB Auditorium. YOu're a tad young for that, but just the same. Hell, a Home Depot sits where the WPB Expos field was, where Jackie Robinson and FP Santangelo once played.I'm gonna hit the Hard Rock soon, we gotta play some flip em hold em, drunken pai gow and some BJ sometime, eventually.
Who the hell cares about December 25th being Jesus' birthday. I've known it is was a random date chosen by Catholics, because of witches celebrating the Winter Solstice, since I was 5. That doesn't mean that Jehovah's Witnesses aren't retarded. They are. The founder of their religion was adamant that only 144,000 people would go to heaven, even though it's not Biblical... so what happened when they had more than 144,000 followers. God gave him a new revelation. This is basic cult. You can't be seriously thinking that anything they say holds water. I mean, I knew you were dumb... but COME ON! [insert some nice sounding valediction]
This can be said about most organized religions, so take it easy friendoJW celebrate no holidays. Saves me money. You'd think the jews woulda thought of that first. SHAZAAAM. But seriously folks, tip your waiters.
This can be said about most organized religions, so take it easy friendo
Brave has a different definition of "cult", than say a mental health professional or a government official would. To Brave "Cult" means " not orthodox, fundamental protestant"
I think it's extremely rude, in general, to ring my doorbell and disturb my day to sell me something, be it produce, religions, or girl scout cookies (though I will buy from girl scouts, as I'm hopelessly addicted to those lemon cookies)
1. I have never had somebody try to sell me produce door-to-door. This happens?? Like cabbages and carrots and shit? 'Ding-Dong' 'Hi, I'm just selling potatoes, you want any?'2. How can you get mad at girl scouts! Firstly, they sell amazing cookies, and secondly they're cute. If they were selling something crappy or they were a bunch of ugly old dudes in tank-tops then I would take issue. 3. The caramel-coconut ones are amazing.4. Dammit, I meant to tack this on to my previous post.
Ummm... I agree. But I still listen to them. Talking to crazy people makes me feel more sane. (partially why I hang out at FCP) Same with the mormons. When things don't exactly "jive".... hey look! Another tablet that only I can translate!
girl scouts never come to my door, oddly enough.
That may be because of that "Sexual Predator" plaque the State made you hang on the porch.
1. I have never had somebody try to sell me produce door-to-door. This happens?? Like cabbages and carrots and shit? 'Ding-Dong' 'Hi, I'm just selling potatoes, you want any?'2. How can you get mad at girl scouts! Firstly, they sell amazing cookies, and secondly they're cute. If they were selling something crappy or they were a bunch of ugly old dudes in tank-tops then I would take issue. 3. The caramel-coconut ones are amazing.4. Dammit, I meant to tack this on to my previous post.
well, I don't really get mad at girl scout cookie girls, but that's about it. And mad is the wrong word here, just annoyed.Strange that you meantion ugly old dudes wearing tank tops.. this hugly fat, ugly guy, wearing a tank top ( and farmer style overalls) was going door to door selling produce. He pulled an orange out of his pocket and everything, and I had already said " Not interested" and was closing the door when I realized how weird it was, and laughed and did a double take. Yes, it apparently does happen, but it was a first for it to happen to me.
Dude, by now you know it's not about winning or losing...it's about making you people (yeah, that's right, I said "you people") look stupid. Which I guess is a win...so I take back the whole thing about it not being about winning or losing. But, I mean, really...your religion really is just as wacky. They all are in some ways. And I can say that because I know you agree with me on most levels, since I only believe in one less god than you.I win!
Or did you?????
Brave has a different definition of "cult", than say a mental health professional or a government official would. To Brave "Cult" means " not orthodox, fundamental protestant"
"a religion or sect considered to be false, unorthodox, or extremist, with members often living outside of conventional society under the direction of a charismatic leader."Exactly describes JW's.
"a religion or sect considered to be false, unorthodox, or extremist, with members often living outside of conventional society under the direction of a charismatic leader."Exactly describes JW's.
no, no it doesn't. There's no one central leader of the JW's that bends people to his/her will.
That definition also exactly describes first-century Christians. Just sayin'.
it always amuses me when you reference something that I know. I do forget that you are from my hometown. Saw a ton of concerts at the WPB Auditorium. YOu're a tad young for that, but just the same. Hell, a Home Depot sits where the WPB Expos field was, where Jackie Robinson and FP Santangelo once played.
I hate that Home Depot. I used to love going to Braves/Expos spring training and drinking the awesome lemonade. Good times. I miss the Beach Dogs and the Blaze too.Great FP Santangelo reference. That was for PMJ.The Hard rock in Hollywood is blowing up right now. People are flocking to blackjack....hopefully some idiots will wander to the poker room. They still have not raised the minimum poker buy-ins which sucks. If you can make a 500 dollar Blackjack bet you should be able to have a 5/10 NL game with a 500 dollar buy-in.Oh, JW's are relatively harmless. They ring your doorbell....you politely decline their invitation to hear whatever about Jesus....and they move on.
I'm pretty certain that's what you meant.
If gay is spending an hour surrounded by hot hairdressers and milfs, then yes, I'm flaming. :)And gfy Ron and your FP Santangelo reference. Now I'm on even more tilt than the Pedro Martinez thread caused.
We have about 4 JW families here in the complex I manage. They are the nicest people here by far. If their religion (that I have no desire to be a part of) makes them this way then good for them. Better than the guy who thankfully moved out last month who was your basic Christian who would come into my office and get in heated arguments with me because I freely admit I do not and will not go to church and I don't believe in organized religion. He would get so pissed at me. He was Lutheran.
We have about 4 JW families here in the complex I manage. They are the nicest people here by far. If their religion (that I have no desire to be a part of) makes them this way then good for them. Better than the guy who thankfully moved out last month who was your basic Christian who would come into my office and get in heated arguments with me because I freely admit I do not and will not go to church and I don't believe in organized religion. He would get so pissed at me. He was Lutheran.
Lutherans are way worse than JW's. Thrivent, a lutheran for profit financial agency, is down right scary. Screwing people in the name of god seems to be the motto for the lutheran leadership. Fuck em.

It's a little off the topic of door knocking but down the road from where I work is a health clinic. Every Saturday morning there are about a half dozen people standing on the sidewalk in protest of abortion. This facility doesn't do them but it doesn't deter the protesters from attending.Every Saturday morning I cruise through and stop, much to there dismay. I sometimes bring fliers, other times I just talk. Most get tired of doing it and don't come back. It must be a rotation schedule a church makes them do or something.Anyway, my talks or fliers are usually centered around the fact that if they really want to help kids, Children's Hospital in Cincinnati currently has a number of black and white crack babies that are up for adoption. Most are badly deformed and born prematurely. It will only cost them a couple hundred grand in medical expenses to raise them and they most likely won't live more than a couple years. So far no takers.I sometimes give them the there is no God speech but I know it falls on deaf ears. It just aggravates me that they are there trying to prevent poor people from getting health care. I want to go there church and stand outside across the street with a sign saying IF YOU APPOSE ABORTION ADOPT A CRACK BABY but I wouldn't lower myself.

It's a little off the topic of door knocking but down the road from where I work is a health clinic. Every Saturday morning there are about a half dozen people standing on the sidewalk in protest of abortion. This facility doesn't do them but it doesn't deter the protesters from attending.Every Saturday morning I cruise through and stop, much to there dismay. I sometimes bring fliers, other times I just talk. Most get tired of doing it and don't come back. It must be a rotation schedule a church makes them do or something.Anyway, my talks or fliers are usually centered around the fact that if they really want to help kids, Children's Hospital in Cincinnati currently has a number of black and white crack babies that are up for adoption. Most are badly deformed and born prematurely. It will only cost them a couple hundred grand in medical expenses to raise them and they most likely won't live more than a couple years. So far no takers.I sometimes give them the there is no God speech but I know it falls on deaf ears. It just aggravates me that they are there trying to prevent poor people from getting health care. I want to go there church and stand outside across the street with a sign saying IF YOU APPOSE ABORTION ADOPT A CRACK BABY but I wouldn't lower myself.
can-of-worms.jpg