Glad to see we have a Sampras - Agassi class competition again.It is amazing that these guys are only 22 and 26. We have many years and many grand slam finals like this one to watch.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was tennis at its best, I especially loved the part "In the last two points you have witnessed the best two passes of the tournament" one each by them in the tie break at championship point.First time I haven't been exagerating when I say " EPIC!"

Oh poop - I only saw it until it was stopped fer rain.... gonna record the Today @ Wimbledon program 2nite, but it's only an hour long so guess pretty cut down

Glad to see we have a Sampras - Agassi class competition again.It is amazing that these guys are only 22 and 26. We have many years and many grand slam finals like this one to watch.
Yeah my best match of all time was a Sampras a long time back. I don't know who it was against, but it was a US Open match where they let all the crazies in at midnight, and Sampras was puking on the court but he came back and won.This match today was unbelievable though. They are both amazing players.
I've been saying Nadal will take Federer this year, after the Queens djokovic game, if hes going to beat him on grass the time is now. Federer has had a bad "federer" year and even before the French open, in his interview it just seems like Nadal has the mental advanatage.
:club:
does this really surprise you? Nadal is playing at an elite level while Murray needed a huge home-court advantage just to rally back to get by Gasquet (who is good but not that good).I am starting to actually believe Nadal could beat Federer this time. Predicting an amazing 5 set thriller for them.
me have psychic powers.

I went out tubing in the Shenandoah River with a bunch of friends on Sunday so I missed the finals. But it was all the talk on sports radio and ESPN so I had to tune in last night on ESPN classic and watch it. Even though I knew the results, I was still on edge watching that match. What an amazing match. I can't believe how many match pts Federer fended off. I don't think Federer is done by any means but Nadal is on pace to shatter the record for majors. Even if Federer gets to 16 when he is done, I think Nadal crushes that -- if he has his health. Didn't Federer have 1 major to his name at age 22 and Nadal has like 5?

I don't think Federer is done by any means but Nadal is on pace to shatter the record for majors. Even if Federer gets to 16 when he is done, I think Nadal crushes that -- if he has his health. Didn't Federer have 1 major to his name at age 22 and Nadal has like 5?
While it's true Nadal has 5 GSs and at the same age Federer had 1 I don't think Nadal will dominate to the same extent Federer does (not saying did, yet!). Federer still has an edge on the hard courts and for that matter Djokovic, Murray, Tsonga and hopefully a returning Safin are all very good on hard courts too so I think it will be difficult for Nadal to win the US and AO.The thing with Nadal's game is it based on power and speed. This will decline with age, even with Nadal's almost superhuman fitness, he can't fight nature. He'll probably win at least 7 or 8 French, perhaps another Wimbledon but it remains to be seen if he can get the job done on the hard courts. The upcoming events in the States and Canada will go a long way to show if Nadal can maintain his current form and if he will be a legitimate favourite on that surface.What I am interested in is the odds that Nadal will win all 4 majors before Federer? I'm not saying it will happen but think about it. Nadal should still be playing at the top of his game when Federer eventually retires. Say at 31/2. So in that time Federer may never win the French. Is Nadal more likely to win in Australia or NY? He only has to get one of each before Federer wins the French. Possible?
I went out tubing in the Shenandoah River with a bunch of friends on Sunday so I missed the finals. But it was all the talk on sports radio and ESPN so I had to tune in last night on ESPN classic and watch it. Even though I knew the results, I was still on edge watching that match. What an amazing match. I can't believe how many match pts Federer fended off. I don't think Federer is done by any means but Nadal is on pace to shatter the record for majors. Even if Federer gets to 16 when he is done, I think Nadal crushes that -- if he has his health. Didn't Federer have 1 major to his name at age 22 and Nadal has like 5?
I dont like Nadal to end up with more than Federer. Betting on a guy with serious knee tendinitis to rack up GS wins when half the slams are played on hard courts is a bad wager. Nadal has never even made the finals of the US open or the Aussie Open.I guess if he wins the next 5 French Opens it could happen. But I dont see it.

I guess the other thing going against Nadal is that Federer is still playing. When Sampras was racking up GS titles, it almost seemed like he was his only competition except for a few AWESOME Agassi moments depending on the year. At least this will be cool history in the making to watch in the tennis world. They need more superstars in the sport and this is a decent start.

fyp (sadly)
That is very true. I used to follow tennis pretty closely but there are no Americans anymore (it seems on the men's side) which makes it harder to follow since there is less hype/espn coverage. I mean I like Andy Roddick and all, but he is not the next coming of JC in tennis.
At least this will be cool history in the making to watch in the tennis world. They need more superstars in the sport and this is a decent start.
QFT.This is all that matters to tennis, ultimately. This rivalry is the best thing to happen to tennis, probably since Borg/McEnroe and the tennis boom of the 70's-early 80's... and has the potential to become greater, seeing as Borg retired early. It's going to be fascinating to see how Federer reacts to this, and I for one already can't wait for the US Open, to see whether Nadal can continue this form onto the American hardcourts. I respect Sampras' achievements and everything, don't get me wrong, but for some reason his domination of 90's tennis didn't really inspire me much, and I was never a real 'fan' of his like I am with Federer and Nadal (actually, it's weird writing that I'm a fan of BOTH... yet both play supreme tennis and seemingly have very different, but equally likeable personalities). Agassi was good to watch too, probably the best of the last 20 years... but I'd say that this, right now, is the best era for tennis since the early 80's. It seems the actual tennis has become exciting again... more baseline play, less emphasis on a huge serve, and a huge serve only. More interesting characters (Agassi aside).Maybe we just need Djokovic, or someone else (maybe an American for you guys, or Murray for us Brits), to step up their game a little to add a third 'genuine' element to the rivalry. Just to make it even more interesting.
I don't think too much should be expected of Andy Murray, this is the only the 2nd time he has played at the Tournament. I don't think Federer will win the Men's title, every streak has to end at some point and this year is the year. As for the Womans i'll stick with my usual policy of betting on a Williams sister. (If either of them is actually playing!)
Not much of a brag but i was spot on :club::ts:D
  • 11 months later...

It's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!No Nadal but we have a rejuvenated Federer and the hype train that is Murraymania. Plus the all-conquering Williams' and the Russian march in the ladies.We also have Michelle Larcher de Brito, a 16 year old Portuguese girl who has a grunt, more of a scream really, clocked at over 110 decibels, which is lion's roar.

• 2 weeks later...
I dont like Nadal to end up with more than Federer. Betting on a guy with serious knee tendinitis to rack up GS wins when half the slams are played on hard courts is a bad wager. Nadal has never even made the finals of the US open or the Aussie Open.I guess if he wins the next 5 French Opens it could happen. But I dont see it.
The whole "if healthy" thing and chalking it up to luck kind of takes away from what Federer has done. His grand slam achievements are absolutely staggering especially when you think how many more he may add to the trophy case. I think a big part of Nadal's injuries is all the extra tennis he's played. Think about how much more you have to play to win than lose? It's not like golf where everybody (who makes the cut of course) plays 4 rounds. If you win or make the finals in every tournament you're playing a LOT more tennis and playing tougher, more grinding matches. People say it's so impressive at Nadal's age and that's true. But I say he's getting an injury already that only gets worse with time.

Have a huge man crush on Roddick, I love when he loses it. It'll be tought because I want Murray to win, Federer will just break Roddicks heart for the 100th time in the final, Murray can offer something different if he doesn't bottle it like he did at the US

Another amazing final, 3 5 set finals on the bounce.Happy for Fed getting to 15, he's clearly best ever. Sick for Roddick though, poor dude looked crushed.

God that was a great final. I really like Andy, but Fed is my boy. 15 means greatest ever, and there really isn't an arguement.Poor Andy, I hope he can muster another slam. He really deserves it, but he was just up against destiny today. You can't hold your serve forever.And I'm seriously about to splurge on centre court tickets for next years Wimby finals, it seems like an epic match will be in store for at least a few more years.

15 means greatest ever, and there really isn't an arguement.
QFT.I'm gutted that Nadal wasn't in the tournament though... people have often said that because of Rafa's style he'd suffer more injuries than other players and I just hope this isn't the start of a long series of injuries for him.I feel the tournament missed him and even though Roddick provided an amazing final and played great throughout the tourny... with a fully fit Nadal there, he wouldn't have been in the final in the first place imo. Credit to Roddick though, as much as I like Federer I didn't even care who won by the end... they were both great. I think Roddick is also one of the most humble and professional guys around too, not only in tennis.. but in world sport generally.
QFT.I'm gutted that Nadal wasn't in the tournament though... people have often said that because of Rafa's style he'd suffer more injuries than other players and I just hope this isn't the start of a long series of injuries for him.I feel the tournament missed him and even though Roddick provided an amazing final and played great throughout the tourny... with a fully fit Nadal there, he wouldn't have been in the final in the first place imo. Credit to Roddick though, as much as I like Federer I didn't even care who won by the end... they were both great. I think Roddick is also one of the most humble and professional guys around too, not only in tennis.. but in world sport generally.
I agree. I'm sort of gutted that he had to lose and I'm a hardcore Federer fan. I feel for him big time.