wsop on pay per view??

I just wanted to say that I think that Harrah's and/or ESPN is missing out on a real financial gain by not putting the biggest poker tournament of the year on Pay Per View. I think the smaller events can be broadcasted the next day, out of fairnes to the players, and they would be able to charge $19.95 to see the final table. The main event could probaly get aroung $49.95 to $59.95 to see the final table. I am sick of the poker shows that only show all in pots, you really can't learn the game and see how tournaments are won by stealing blinds and playing aggresive. ESPN can still show particular events like they do, cramming the final table in an hour with commentary and commercials 3 months later. They will still get great rating for all the people who didn't want to pay the money to watch all hands and see it the next day. I think this could be millions of dollars extra for them. I would pay to see most of the events so I could watch every hand, this would really improve everyone's game.Any thoughts???

I just wanted to say that I think that Harrah's and/or ESPN is missing out on a real financial gain by not putting the biggest poker tournament of the year on Pay Per View.  I think the smaller events can be broadcasted the next day, out of fairnes to the players, and they would be able to charge $19.95 to see the final table. The main event could probaly get aroung $49.95 to $59.95 to see the final table.  I  am sick of the poker shows that only show all in pots, you really can't learn the game and see how tournaments are won by stealing blinds and playing aggresive.  ESPN can still show particular events like they do, cramming the final table in an hour with commentary and commercials 3 months later. They will still get great rating for all the people who didn't want to pay the money to watch all hands and see it the next day.  I think this could be millions of dollars extra for them. I would pay to see most of the events so I could watch every hand, this would really improve everyone's game.Any thoughts???
why are you lobbying to pay for this

I am willing to pay for this because its the only way we will get to see every hand. Do you know how much you could improve your game by that? Do you like watching poker shows where all you see is 30 minutes of actual poker when the final table was really 4 to 8 hours long? I don't have money to burn, I know how much I money I can make by having that information. Think about it.

I am actually surprised this hasn't happened....but poker just basically took off big again(last two/three years)...it could happen.ESPN shows what they show...but there is the unedited footage you can get for PPV.As far as hands go....don't alot of poker sites do like a play by play of the final tables, hand by hand? Pokerstars did last year....although it was torture to watch...so slow...

What I meant by showing every hand was not intended to sit and watch the dealer shuffle the cards each hand and wait for breaks, ect. I think it should still be edited somewhat. I just think you should see every hand..

Guest XXEddie
I am actually surprised this hasn't happened....but poker just basically took off big again(last two/three years)...it could happen.ESPN shows what they show...but there is the unedited footage you can get for PPV.As far as hands go....don't alot of poker sites do like a play by play of the final tables, hand by hand? Pokerstars did last year....although it was torture to watch...so slow...
it has happen, just not at WSOPthe turning stone did it last year
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure the WSOP main event is the event that you would want to watch hand-for-hand if you were really looking to improve your game, considering the high amount of amateurs that make the money....I realize amateurs make the money in every tournament, but with such a large field in the main event, the likelihood of the final table being mostly "unknowns" seems every likely. Now watching the WSOP tournament of champions might have been an interesting hand-for-hand event. Either way, I enjoy watching poker, but I can't ever imagine paying $50 to do so. Poker Stars had a simulated table set up last year at the main event final table that showed hand-for-hand action on what was going on at the final table, which was interesting, even though you couldn't see the players.....

• 2 weeks later...

Paul Phillips wrote on his website yesterday a response to an e-mail that I had sent to him. Looks like he agrees with me.WSOP on pay-per-view: Someone wrote to say that harrah's is blowing it by not offering the final table of the WSOP on pay-per-view, turning stone style where you can see every hand. It doesn't have to be nearly live, they could run it the next day. I agree completely, I suspect there are many thousands of people who would shell out boxing style PPV fees for that. Probably millions in lost revenue there. Oh well, they can always raise entry fees again instead.

• 4 weeks later...

I would not watch poker on PPP. I don't think too many people would pay extra to watch it.

Dont really think it would improve someones l33t skillz, but I would like to see it on PPV for entertainment purposes.
Poker is very misunderstood because of television. After watching the turning stone event it improved my short handed play so much. You don't understand how much the professional players raise with nothing to steal blindes/antes because of there position, picking on the short stacks in the big blinds, ect. Watching a whole final table in an hour, cramming in commentary and commercials is entertaining, but won't improve your game much. Watching every hand of the final table is both entertaining and will improve your game tremendously if watching closely.
I second that question. You got money to burn, you give Rocketwadster a call and he'll take it. :wink:
Given that we're all into this game enough to be posting on a forum (and probably reading poker books and playing a lot), it's probably safe to say that we've all got some money to burn -- especially if it's for something like seeing every hand of a final table, which could improve our winnings.Personally, I'm hoping that ESPN comes out with a DVD set including every hand of the main event featured tables and final tables of all events. I'd consider paying as much as 3-500 for this.
I would not watch poker on PPP. I don't think too many people would pay extra to watch it.
Probably true for the masses. We poker enthusiasts get tired of seeing all-in fests. Your average ADD ridden high schooler who's just gotten into poker this month would probably tire of seeing one person raise and everyone fold. Every hand poker might be only for people who are too into the game.
I second that question. You got money to burn' date=' you give Rocketwadster a call and he'll take it. :wink:[/quote']Given that we're all into this game enough to be posting on a forum (and probably reading poker books and playing a lot)' date=' it's probably safe to say that we've all got some money to burn -- especially if it's for something like seeing every hand of a final table, which could improve our winnings.Personally, I'm hoping that ESPN comes out with a DVD set including every hand of the main event featured tables and final tables of all events. I'd consider paying as much as 3-500 for this.[/quote']WOW! Finally someone that understands what that info. can mean. I leardned so much from watching Ted Forest tonight on the FullTilt.com Live Event.
then your not serious about improving your poker game
Yes, I am serious, but they will show events like the WSOP over and over again on ESPN and the Championship at the Plaza or American Poker Championship over and over again on FSN. Why pay for it when you can continually watch it for free? I just wish they would show all of the WSOP events and not just selective ones. I'm curios how the pros play nl lowball, but all ESPN does is throw on like 2 7 stud event and 2 plo events. Then all they show is hold'em. They should throw on the eight or better events and razz event. Why isn't that showing this year?