Alan Kessler Pissed At Dn

I don't think its necessary to turn the small buy in events into a crap shoot. There are low-mid buyin online tournaments for crapshoots. Its the World Series of Poker, every tournament, regardless of buyin, should be sort of presitgious.
But go back to how DN started "the amount of play in a tournament is dictated by the buy in and the juice paid".Clearly you can't and shouldn't expect a 10K buy-in structure for a 1.5K buy-in event. While 1.5K is still a fair bit of change it's a small buy-in at the WSOP. You shouldn't get a crapshoot but a tournament that starts with a relatively small number of BB isn't necessarily a crapshoot.If a tournament is going to run for a certain amount of time it will typically need to either start shallow or increase blinds quickly as it progresses. An amateur who has no expectation of cashing an event should prefer a structure that starts deep and gets quickly shallow later - that's what the limit events were last year. A pro or really anyone with proficiency should prefer to start shallow and have the levels progress more evenly as the event goes on. That allows them to apply more skill in the later stages of the tournament and if they bust early they don't waste a lot of time for no return.Ultimately though any good tournament player should know and adapt to the structure of the event they're playing. That's a vital tournament skill and if a pro can't do that they should probably bite their tongue and learn a thing or two rather than bitching about it and looking like an idiot.
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't they double the starting stacks?Doesn't this mean the starting stacks are the same proportion to the blinds as $1500 would be to a $25/$50 starting level?Do they have smaller than $25 chips?

Ddn't they double the starting stacks?Doesn't this mean the starting stacks are the same proportion to the blands as $1500 would be to a $25/$50 starting level?Do they have smaller than $25 chips?
$12.50 chips, obv.
Didn't they double the starting stacks?Doesn't this mean the starting stacks are the same proportion to the blinds as $1500 would be to a $25/$50 starting level?Do they have smaller than $25 chips?
they used $5 chips for the first 2 levels
I agree with this in principle, but the WSOP schedule is totaly packed so I don't think it's feasible from a business perspective to have every small buy in event on a slow structure.
But go back to how DN started "the amount of play in a tournament is dictated by the buy in and the juice paid".Clearly you can't and shouldn't expect a 10K buy-in structure for a 1.5K buy-in event. While 1.5K is still a fair bit of change it's a small buy-in at the WSOP. You shouldn't get a crapshoot but a tournament that starts with a relatively small number of BB isn't necessarily a crapshoot.If a tournament is going to run for a certain amount of time it will typically need to either start shallow or increase blinds quickly as it progresses. An amateur who has no expectation of cashing an event should prefer a structure that starts deep and gets quickly shallow later - that's what the limit events were last year. A pro or really anyone with proficiency should prefer to start shallow and have the levels progress more evenly as the event goes on. That allows them to apply more skill in the later stages of the tournament and if they bust early they don't waste a lot of time for no return.Ultimately though any good tournament player should know and adapt to the structure of the event they're playing. That's a vital tournament skill and if a pro can't do that they should probably bite their tongue and learn a thing or two rather than bitching about it and looking like an idiot.
Sounds like its time to trim off some events. :club:
Sounds like its time to trim off some events. :club:
Dear Harrahs Corporation,I have a plan for how you can make less money. Please contact me for the details.Sincerely,IBFT

He's called "chainsaw" because he is always cutting things down. Very pessimistic personality. Very fitting nickname. You're just looking at chainsaw in the wrong light. It's not blood and badass motorbikes, it's always chopping the legs out of an argument. "My KK ran into AA twice!" is an example. Always bitching, telling the sorrow about your fate.In this case, "chainsaw" again layed the smack down, because there is no ground to stand on. The early structures were changed to a faster pace. By changing the structures to a faster pace, players like Arieh, Williams, and other "see a lot of flops" players get more action going. They play to go big or go home anyway, so this only helps their causeBut, in my opinion, its the responsibilty of the player(the one forking over the money to play in a tourney) to know how a tourney is going to run before he/she enters. If it doesnt suit your tastes, dont enter.So, even though you have a very strong point Mr. Kessler, your opinion is mute because you still forked over the entry fee.

Yeah he does bitch a lot.Can someone work this out for me?"Here's a quick update of the last 2 days: I played the pot limit 2k yesterday and got my money in with AK on a King high board on the turn with 2 spades. My opponent had a pair, a gutshot, and a small flush draw and hit one of his outs. I was at least a 2-1 favorite when the money went in, but have had very little success against flush draws the entire series."On a King high board, how could his opponent have a pair, gutshot and small flush draw? And, how is top pair top kicker favourite 2-1 against this? I put it one way, Ks10s9h flop, Kessler AK with the As, opponent Qs9s. Gutshot, flush draw (Kessler with a spade of his own) and a pair. It's not a small flush draw but I don't see how you could have a gutshot and a small flush draw on a K High board. Even with this, his opponent is 53.13%.He moans a lot in that blog to.

Yeah he does bitch a lot.Can someone work this out for me?"Here's a quick update of the last 2 days: I played the pot limit 2k yesterday and got my money in with AK on a King high board on the turn with 2 spades. My opponent had a pair, a gutshot, and a small flush draw and hit one of his outs. I was at least a 2-1 favorite when the money went in, but have had very little success against flush draws the entire series."On a King high board, how could his opponent have a pair, gutshot and small flush draw? And, how is top pair top kicker favourite 2-1 against this? I put it one way, Ks10s9h flop, Kessler AK with the As, opponent Qs9s. Gutshot, flush draw (Kessler with a spade of his own) and a pair. It's not a small flush draw but I don't see how you could have a gutshot and a small flush draw on a K High board. Even with this, his opponent is 53.13%.He moans a lot in that blog to.
ok...let's say the board is:ks :D:ts:club: his opponent holds :4h:D which gives him a pair a gut shot and a small flush drawcards that will hit him:-2 sevens-3 eights-4 fives-8 spades(9 minus the 5s)17cards total, since we know 8 cards, there are 44 left to come...17/44 = 39%so, yeah...I guess he's not a 2 to one favor, but almost....and yeah, I agree he should stop his bitching

Allen, didn't your mom tell some people should be seen and not heard?Tilt-InducingThere was a little bit of controversy on Blue #2. A floor was called over to make a ruling on the final round of betting after one player checked. His opponent claimed that he then asked, "Did you check?" The original player only heard "check" and exposed his hand: 9-8. Allen Kessler, also seated at the table, said he only heard, "Check." No other player expressed an opinion. The floor ruled that the second player checked as well. Disgusted, he turned up his hand to show a wheel and said sarcastically, "Yeah, I definitely checked this hand."

Not that you probably care (and not that it matters, since I'll almost assuredly never play in a WSOP event), but I don't agree with this line of thinking. Let me preface by saying I don't know whether the structure was crappy or not (probably not great, but probably not as bad as he is saying). I think there are a lot of people that go to WSOP and a 1500 buy in is a lot to them, and to say 'well, its not a 10k buyin, so who cares, here's a less than optimal structure' seems sort of crass. Then again I'm a bleeding heart democrat, so who knows. Ive gleaned from reading your blog that the WSOP has added more larger buy in events and more non-NL events, so the pros are already afforded a lot of chances to excel in the world series (either buy ins that your normal fishy can't afford or in games that they couldnt succeed at with any regularity) that I don't think its necessary to turn the small buy in events into a crap shoot. There are low-mid buyin online tournaments for crapshoots. Its the World Series of Poker, every tournament, regardless of buyin, should be sort of presitgious. Just my opinion (and again, it could all be moot, I dont know whether the structure was bad or not, Im just commenting on your one statement).
If you want more play with a smaller buyin, then go check out the Ventain Deep Stack series that is running. I am pretty sure there are some other deep stack events going on as well. But for the WSOP if you want more play you gonna have to put up more pay, it is that simple. http://venetian.com/POKERROOM.aspx
I wouldn't be able to pick Alan Kessler out of a lineup. Unless it was like...two chicks, a midget and a black guy. Then i'd probably be able to make an educated guess.
nh :club:

I think Daniel laid it out pretty well, some just didn't understand it. The juice you pay to the rio determines how long they want you to play and they adjust the structure to that timeframe. After all how can a tourney with $50 juice be expected to run the same amount of time as one that has $500 in juice? They have to pay the dealers, you can't pay them for as long of a time with 1/10th of the money.

From Shirley Rosario's blog at poker-babes.com:"The first part of the day was kind of boring especially because I had Allen Kessler on my left which is always a drag. He is such a whiner that I had to keep my head phones on just so I didn’t have to hear him cry. "Freaking hilarious!!!