Alan Kessler Pissed At Dn

This is taken from Kesslers blog:Thanks to Daniel Negreanu for ruining what was formerly the $1,500 Stud event. We started with 50-100 in level 1. This represented only 30 Big bets; the smallest number I can recall in any major Limit tournament. Don't think I am the only one complaining; several well known pros were upset when they learned of this starting level. Barbara Enright called it a disgrace. Eric Herschler (WPT champion and final table Stud at Commerce) said he wouldn't have played had he known it would basically be a crapshoot tournament and seen the structure beforehand. There was a buzz all over the room; people couldn't believe we were starting the tournament so high. The first contested pot in Level 1 at our table had a pot of over 1,500; which should never happened with starting stacks of only 3,000 in chips.We started with 30 big bets, and an hour into the tournament the average stack had only 20 big bets. By two hours in the average stack was down to 15 big bets; enough to play two, maybe three hands. Tables were breaking quickly in an event where people usually last several levels before getting knocked out.They promised a slow structure but unlike the other stud tournaments I'd played thus far, this one went from 200-400 with a 50 ante to 300-600 with a 75 ante, a 50% jump. The other stud tournaments I'd played had a 250-500 level to allow people to build up chips prior to reaching the "wall". The "wall" in this case was the 300-600 level where the average stack had fallen below the critical 10 Big Bet mark, where one losing hand played to the river crippled you or knocked you out of the tourney entirely.My full report will follow later but needless to say I wasn't pleased, getting knocked out during the 300-600 level in an event I'd final tabled in 2006.Today is the Championship Omaha Hi-lo event. I finished second in this event in the 2005 WSOP, and won the recent $1,000 event in this game at the Wynn classic. We are starting at 200-400 level in Level 1 so anything can happen… Wish me luck.http://www.cardplayer.com/players/pro-anal...en-Kessler/2144Is it just me or does it seem a little unnecessary to pin this all on one member of the board of guys who decide these things? I think the structure, from what he's said, does sound bad.Off-topic, anyone know why he's called Chainsaw? Lame nickname IMO.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Off-topic, anyone know why he's called Chainsaw? Lame nickname IMO.
He's got a sexy grill?

First complaint about the structures this year that I've heard. Unlike last year where that's all we heard.Couple things:- this is a 1500 event not a "major tournament" at the WSOP- starting levels is only a small part of what makes a good structure. A good structure should start relatively fast and then slow down later. Not sure if this structure accomplished that.- unless the structure was kept in a secret locked box and only revealed once the tourney started you can't bitch about it. Try looking at the structure before you register.- i suspect that had Kessler FTd this thing he'd complain a lot less about the structure

Sounds like someone who just needed to steam after a disappointing performance.
I think that sounds about rightI also think that him and DN may have had some confrontations at the felt. This is from DN's updates in the $5000 stud championship: 4:17 AM EST - "23k just made a broadway against Kesslers AA and I think I made his blog LOL"
I think that sounds about rightI also think that him and DN may have had some confrontations at the felt. This is from DN's updates in the $5000 stud championship: 4:17 AM EST - "23k just made a broadway against Kesslers AA and I think I made his blog LOL"
Read Kessler's blog...apparently DN called all the way with a gutshot and no chance for low and hit his J on the river -- something like that.Then came the key hand of my tournament vs Daniel Negreanu. He opens with an Ace and I reraise to isolate with AA. It winds up he has A K Q suited and calls. He hits a 10 on 4th street and checks and I continue to bet. It is blatanly obvious that I have aces; the only question being did I make 2 pair. I bet 1000 on 5th and he calls again. He has only a gutshot and no chance for a low with a board of A 10 8 (K) (Q) . on sixth he catches a pair of 8's. and checks. I can't imagine any hand I can beat at this point when he called a raise on 3rd and bets on 4th and a double bet on 5th so I check behind. On 7th he catches his broadway and I pay him off with Aces up dropping to 3K. This pot was over 10K and was the key pot to my whole tournament. We rehashed this hand for several minutes after it was over, and no one could understand how Daniel made the call with only a gutshot and no low draw for a double bet on 5th street. Maybe he knew he would suck out on the river.

I thought DN tried really hard to improve the structure this year?? I may be wrong but I don't see why he would want to make the $1500 structure worse, even if he doesn't play the event.

Sounds like someone who just needed to steam after a disappointing performance.
this sort of behaviour marks the slippery slope with dead hookers at the end.

I wouldn't be able to pick Alan Kessler out of a lineup. Unless it was like...two chicks, a midget and a black guy. Then i'd probably be able to make an educated guess.

I wouldn't be able to pick Alan Kessler out of a lineup. Unless it was like...two chicks, a midget and a black guy. Then i'd probably be able to make an educated guess.
I :club: ed

If DN was a part of changing the structure, I bet a team of pros had to agree with it. I know DN is a big deal these days, but do they change structures for WSOP events based on just his input, probably not. Shutup chainsaw, stupid whiner. There are about 1,000 events, skip one of them if you don't like it.

If I'm remembering what Alan Kessler looks like, he reminds of that guy on Seinfeld who couldn't remember Elaine, the severely depressed guy.
BINGO!Alan Kessler91671.jpgFred Stoller (Seinfeld Guy)littleman13.jpg

LOL. It's a 1500 stud tournament at the world series. It has a better structure than the NLHEs Ive been grinding.The whole room was buzzing? Like Barbara Enright and Eric Hershler? Did Chris Karraguleyen stop by and deliver his thoughts as well, Chainsaw? Did Eskimo Clark give you some reassurance that the structure was terrible?I don't know much about stud but DN probably did play the hand bad and if he did, it's bc he doesn't think the 1500 stud tournament is as major or prestigious as you do. Stop being so miserable, it's hard to look at, albeit not as bad as your face. Rub one out and try to steal the blinds once in a while, for fucks sake.

Read Kessler's blog...apparently DN called all the way with a gutshot and no chance for low and hit his J on the river -- something like that.Then came the key hand of my tournament vs Daniel Negreanu. He opens with an Ace and I reraise to isolate with AA. It winds up he has A K Q suited and calls. He hits a 10 on 4th street and checks and I continue to bet. It is blatanly obvious that I have aces; the only question being did I make 2 pair. I bet 1000 on 5th and he calls again. He has only a gutshot and no chance for a low with a board of A 10 8 (K) (Q) . on sixth he catches a pair of 8's. and checks. I can't imagine any hand I can beat at this point when he called a raise on 3rd and bets on 4th and a double bet on 5th so I check behind. On 7th he catches his broadway and I pay him off with Aces up dropping to 3K. This pot was over 10K and was the key pot to my whole tournament. We rehashed this hand for several minutes after it was over, and no one could understand how Daniel made the call with only a gutshot and no low draw for a double bet on 5th street. Maybe he knew he would suck out on the river.
Reading this blog you understand the saying "Hindsight has 20:20 vision." :club: I liked the "I can't imagine any hand I can beat at this point when he called a raise on 3rd and bets on 4th and a double bet on 5th so I check behind" which DN might have counted on to get a free card or two. I was actually sweating the tournament via www.pokernews.com in their LIVE reporting structure and it was fun to see DN win that pot.Clearly Kessler did not feel it was a whole lot of fun :ts so I will side with the idea that the negative comment is sour grapes and clearly the Whine "Chateau Kessler 2008" is an acid choice.
LOL. It's a 1500 stud tournament at the world series. It has a better structure than the NLHEs Ive been grinding.The whole room was buzzing? Like Barbara Enright and Eric Hershler? Did Chris Karraguleyen stop by and deliver his thoughts as well, Chainsaw? Did Eskimo Clark give you some reassurance that the structure was terrible?I don't know much about stud but DN probably did play the hand bad and if he did, it's bc he doesn't think the 1500 stud tournament is as major or prestigious as you do. Stop being so miserable, it's hard to look at, albeit not as bad as your face. Rub one out and try to steal the blinds once in a while, for fucks sake.
LOL

i didnt play the stud event, but im pretty sure it was the same as the razz, and the structure did suck. There was discussion at my table at the time that there should have been a 250-500 level instead of the big jump that he mentions. They should have started with a 25-50 level and then gone up from there. that being said, the structure was availible online well in advance if he had bothered to look instead of just finding out about it on that day.

Reading this blog you understand the saying "Hindsight has 20:20 vision." :club: I liked the "I can't imagine any hand I can beat at this point when he called a raise on 3rd and bets on 4th and a double bet on 5th so I check behind" which DN might have counted on to get a free card or two. I was actually sweating the tournament via www.pokernews.com in their LIVE reporting structure and it was fun to see DN win that pot.Clearly Kessler did not feel it was a whole lot of fun :ts so I will side with the idea that the negative comment is sour grapes and clearly the Whine "Chateau Kessler 2008" is an acid choice.
It looks like DNs big mistake was not betting 6th and folding Kessler out!
POTD
LOL. I appreciated this
yea you would appreciate that