Jesus Made Me Puke

Yup. That's about what West Virginia's good for. Strip bars, fireworks, hellishly expensive gas, and legal snake handling. However, if anyone's interested, Salvation on Sand Mountain, by Dennis Covington, is an excellent book about snake handling throughout the lower Appalachians (the book mentioned some towns I lived very near)
Tom Sharpe's The Great Pursuit is another good one.
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one talks about this because Lois belongs to the Church of Christ. However this does sound like a pentecostal Church of Christ, and Lois didn't attend that type of church.There are also churches that believe in snake handling, which is interesting. West Virginia is the only state that still doesn't outlaw it at all.
Yeah, this a bit foreign to me although I know of these type of churches. I will give you all an illustration of how the only church I would ever belong to does it's thing every week: Sunday worship at 10:00. Worship consists of the lords supper(partaking of the unleavened bread and the pure blood of the grape, as directed in scripture) a collection (the only one of the week as shown in scripture, for the needy saints, with no dollar amount attached- as every man purpose in his heart, so let him give),and public confession. (Confess your faults one to another that ye may be healed), and a sermon. In the sermon, only the preacher talks. Sunday is long because scripture tells us to keep the whole day holy. So, after the Worship services are over, there is a break, about 15, 20 minutes, and there is morning class, which lasts about an hour and a half. This is a prediscussed subject which everybody studies, and those that feel comfortable share what they found in there studies, how it applies to them, etc. Usually 3 to 5 people share, around there. Oh, and then kids are in another room broken up by age group to learn lessons that make more sense for kids, and various people teach these classes. Then, they break for lunch. Usually about 3 groups of ten families or so go to separate houses and share a meal and fellowship together. This usually last about 4 hours then they go back to church and have evening class, this usually a talk from one of the young preachers about whatever subject he is feeling, last about an hour and a half. Then, they disband for the day. Monday is what they call personal work, but for lack of better words it's going door to door and speaking about salvation, spreading the gospel as commanded inn scripture. They meet monday night around 6 and knock on doors for like 2 hours, in preplanned pre scouted areas, just to stay organized. Not everyone does this, you do it when you can for the most part. Usually about 15 to 20 people end up going. Tuesday is mid week class, and it's basically a repeat of Sunday morning class as far as the way it's conducted. Usually they are covering a specific book, though,like Acts or whatever and a certain block of pre agreed upon scripture. There is also a question and answer session before class starts, and that could be about anything, and can be answered by anybody. Of course if you are wrong you will find out pretty fast. If it's tough one a few of the more prominent teachers and preachers will take it on themselves to look into it over the next week or so, or they might decide to have a class on that subject. Tuesday night ends with what amounts to a business meeting, once a month all monies coming in and out are read aloud (my mom has been the secretary for like 15 years) and a explanation for what it was as well. Also, tuesday is where a needy saint would ask for help, if they needed it. Rarely is the answer no. I think I have heard no twice in my life. Wednesday is alot like monday night, although half of them will be talking to people they have already talked to before, contacting them back. Thursday, twice a month a class is held that is called a non-member class, this is what monday night and wednesday night is the culmination of. An hour and a half intro to salvation if you will. Usually 3 or 4 of the really good speakers rotate giving this lesson. Everyone who can attends, minus kids as much as possible. They realize that time is precious, that if a person comes this already a commitment of sorts, and they want it to be as distraction free as possible. Baptism will always be offered at the end of this class. Friday and Saturday are totally free, although usually there is something going on at somebodies house friday nights. For me as a kid friday was the most fun. Economically back then people were broke, so friday was often a get together to fix various p.o.s. cars. Fried chicken and mechanical work. Awesome. Every few months they either travel to or host meeting with other congregations where 3 or 4 lessons are given. Sometimes these are 1 day meeting, sometimes 2 days. These are always fun, and often how you might find yourself a wife or a husband. When I was 15 and up I always had a long distance relationship going on with someone, which made these even more fun. It's a good life. Keep in mind, no one gets paid, so these men that preach, moderate, etc., they do it on there own time and dime. Sacrifices are definitely made every week, but that's the work. I wanted to give you guys an illustration of what it's all about, because really it's pretty low key.
Yeah, this a bit foreign to me although I know of these type of churches. I will give you all an illustration of how the only church I would ever belong to does it's thing every week: Sunday worship at 10:00. Worship consists of the lords supper(partaking of the unleavened bread and the pure blood of the grape, as directed in scripture) a collection (the only one of the week as shown in scripture, for the needy saints, with no dollar amount attached- as every man purpose in his heart, so let him give),and public confession. (Confess your faults one to another that ye may be healed), and a sermon. In the sermon, only the preacher talks. Sunday is long because scripture tells us to keep the whole day holy. So, after the Worship services are over, there is a break, about 15, 20 minutes, and there is morning class, which lasts about an hour and a half. This is a prediscussed subject which everybody studies, and those that feel comfortable share what they found in there studies, how it applies to them, etc. Usually 3 to 5 people share, around there. Oh, and then kids are in another room broken up by age group to learn lessons that make more sense for kids, and various people teach these classes. Then, they break for lunch. Usually about 3 groups of ten families or so go to separate houses and share a meal and fellowship together. This usually last about 4 hours then they go back to church and have evening class, this usually a talk from one of the young preachers about whatever subject he is feeling, last about an hour and a half. Then, they disband for the day. Monday is what they call personal work, but for lack of better words it's going door to door and speaking about salvation, spreading the gospel as commanded inn scripture. They meet monday night around 6 and knock on doors for like 2 hours, in preplanned pre scouted areas, just to stay organized. Not everyone does this, you do it when you can for the most part. Usually about 15 to 20 people end up going. Tuesday is mid week class, and it's basically a repeat of Sunday morning class as far as the way it's conducted. Usually they are covering a specific book, though,like Acts or whatever and a certain block of pre agreed upon scripture. There is also a question and answer session before class starts, and that could be about anything, and can be answered by anybody. Of course if you are wrong you will find out pretty fast. If it's tough one a few of the more prominent teachers and preachers will take it on themselves to look into it over the next week or so, or they might decide to have a class on that subject. Tuesday night ends with what amounts to a business meeting, once a month all monies coming in and out are read aloud (my mom has been the secretary for like 15 years) and a explanation for what it was as well. Also, tuesday is where a needy saint would ask for help, if they needed it. Rarely is the answer no. I think I have heard no twice in my life. Wednesday is alot like monday night, although half of them will be talking to people they have already talked to before, contacting them back. Thursday, twice a month a class is held that is called a non-member class, this is what monday night and wednesday night is the culmination of. An hour and a half intro to salvation if you will. Usually 3 or 4 of the really good speakers rotate giving this lesson. Everyone who can attends, minus kids as much as possible. They realize that time is precious, that if a person comes this already a commitment of sorts, and they want it to be as distraction free as possible. Baptism will always be offered at the end of this class. Friday and Saturday are totally free, although usually there is something going on at somebodies house friday nights. For me as a kid friday was the most fun. Economically back then people were broke, so friday was often a get together to fix various p.o.s. cars. Fried chicken and mechanical work. Awesome. Every few months they either travel to or host meeting with other congregations where 3 or 4 lessons are given. Sometimes these are 1 day meeting, sometimes 2 days. These are always fun, and often how you might find yourself a wife or a husband. When I was 15 and up I always had a long distance relationship going on with someone, which made these even more fun. It's a good life. Keep in mind, no one gets paid, so these men that preach, moderate, etc., they do it on there own time and dime. Sacrifices are definitely made every week, but that's the work. I wanted to give you guys an illustration of what it's all about, because really it's pretty low key.
This sounds a LOT like Jesus People USA.... actually almost EXACTLY like it. (other than you didn't mention communal living, but with meetings every night and all day Sunday it might be easier.)" We number about 500 people who live together at a single address on Chicago's North Side. We hold our goods and property in a common fund, looking to the model of Christian community depicted in New Testament (Acts 2:44-47, 4:32-35). Living communally and pooling our resources in this way has enabled us to minister to one another and those outside the community in ways that might not have been otherwise possible. "
Tom Sharpe's The Great Pursuit is another good one.
Ouch-8s, every time I catch your new avatar out of the corner of my eye, especially when I'm scrolling, it looks like a wriggling sperm.Glasses FTW?
Ouch-8s, every time I catch your new avatar out of the corner of my eye, especially when I'm scrolling, it looks like a wriggling sperm.Glasses FTW?
That Freud - always showin' up when you least expect him.
This sounds a LOT like Jesus People USA.... actually almost EXACTLY like it. (other than you didn't mention communal living, but with meetings every night and all day Sunday it might be easier.)" We number about 500 people who live together at a single address on Chicago's North Side. We hold our goods and property in a common fund, looking to the model of Christian community depicted in New Testament (Acts 2:44-47, 4:32-35). Living communally and pooling our resources in this way has enabled us to minister to one another and those outside the community in ways that might not have been otherwise possible. "
Nope. You wont find a website for the Church of Christ, or even a news story. To low key. Well, you could probably try and find a website, but it would be tough. There is only one that I know of and that was built by a woman who absolutely hates us. I won't provide a link because it's not edifying in any way, it's mostly just sad.
Nope. You wont find a website for the Church of Christ, or even a news story. To low key. Well, you could probably try and find a website, but it would be tough. There is only one that I know of and that was built by a woman who absolutely hates us. I won't provide a link because it's not edifying in any way, it's mostly just sad.
Is this you?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churches_of_ChristThere's about 20 websites at the bottom of the page.
Is this you?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churches_of_ChristThere's about 20 websites at the bottom of the page.
That's pretty close, but Wiki is way off. There are about 40 churches in the U.S. that actually practices what is preached on that page that we know of. It's the minutia that disqualifies most of the ones Wiki is reffering to.
That's pretty close, but Wiki is way off. There are about 40 churches in the U.S. that actually practices what is preached on that page that we know of. It's the minutia that disqualifies most of the ones Wiki is reffering to.
I was referring to all the external links to Church of Christ churches. Your last post said that your dream church wasn't like Jesus People USA because your special church wouldn't have a website. I'm not sure why that disqualifies them from being exactly like your dream situation, but ok. The point is that your church does have a website.
public confession.
Oh good, a time for people to commit lies of omission in front of the entire church.
Friday and Saturday are totally free
Hazaa!
The point is that your church does have a website.
No they don't. They're far too low key for that...other than knocking on people's doors and stuff.
That Freud - always showin' up when you least expect him.
:club::ts:D:D:4h:5c
I was referring to all the external links to Church of Christ churches. Your last post said that your dream church wasn't like Jesus People USA because your special church wouldn't have a website. I'm not sure why that disqualifies them from being exactly like your dream situation, but ok. The point is that your church does have a website.
I guarantee that not one of those links is affiliated with the forty I am talking about. If anything, they would know of us but would steer you away from us. My point was, not one website will name one preacher in any of the forty or so I was talking about. What dream situation? I described the Churches I grew up in, not any type of dream. Remember, just because it says Church of Christ, doesn't mean it is so. Know what I am saying, homes. Yeah, you do, but your new job is to annoy me at any and every level. It's all good.
Oh good, a time for people to commit lies of omission in front of the entire church.Hazaa!No they don't. They're far too low key for that...other than knocking on people's doors and stuff.
Some people can be honest in front of others, and since it's only your relationship with God and Christ at stake you would imagine that people would take this seriously. Only God knows, though. If you get all worked up about a knock on the door you have issues so deep that salvation isn't really your answer yet. All you have to say is, "I am not interested" and you never see them again, which is pathetic, but live and let live. Nobodies gonna force you to listen, you big baby.
I guarantee that not one of those links is affiliated with the forty I am talking about. If anything, they would know of us but would steer you away from us. My point was, not one website will name one preacher in any of the forty or so I was talking about. What dream situation? I described the Churches I grew up in, not any type of dream. Remember, just because it says Church of Christ, doesn't mean it is so. Know what I am saying, homes. Yeah, you do, but your new job is to annoy me at any and every level. It's all good.
While I may be annoying you, it's certainly not my 'new' intention or whatever. Lately, you just haven't liked what I'm saying.
Is there a list of these 40 churches somewhere? Also, are the members in these churches the only true Christians on Earth?
Some people can be honest in front of others, and since it's only your relationship with God and Christ at stake you would imagine that people would take this seriously. Only God knows, though.
God and the people who stand up there. Including you. Oh, and the devil. He knows too.
If you get all worked up about a knock on the door you have issues so deep that salvation isn't really your answer yet. All you have to say is, "I am not interested" and you never see them again, which is pathetic, but live and let live. Nobodies gonna force you to listen, you big baby.
Oh, I didn't realize that I said absolutely anything about my personal feelings and reaction to people who show up at my door. I thought I just mentioned that "low key" might mean something different to you than it does to the rest of us. I'm almost positive that this is what I said.I've never once in my life been rude to someone that was trying to politely share their religious views with me. At least in person, anyway.
God and the people who stand up there. Including you. Oh, and the devil. He knows too.Oh, I didn't realize that I said absolutely anything about my personal feelings and reaction to people who show up at my door. I thought I just mentioned that "low key" might mean something different to you than it does to the rest of us. I'm almost positive that this is what I said.I've never once in my life been rude to someone that was trying to politely share their religious views with me. At least in person, anyway.
Mary Poppins?No?Maybe you should? RAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Is there a list of these 40 churches somewhere? Also, are the members in these churches the only true Christians on Earth?
No. Probably. I haven't been to every church in the world. No way to know.
No. Probably. I haven't been to every church in the world. No way to know.
This post makes me sad.
This post makes me sad.
All I said was as far as I can tell, but I haven't been to every church, there is no way to know. That being said, I have been to hundreds of doors, and spoke with thousands of people over the years since I was a kid, a good portion who attended other churches named "Church of Christ", yet the similarity stopped there. Doctrinally, they were not the same. So, be sad all you want, but my answer HAS to be that based on past experience. Truth is I would love to find some outside the 40 or so. Love to. Oh, my lord, you have no idea how freaking cool it would be to talk to another Church of Christ that I have never heard of and find out they followed the bible completely as well. That would be so awesome. You would think it would have happened by now. It hasn't. Sorry, it is what is. It shouldn't make you sad, few will be saved. Look around you. Walk the streets. Walk the malls. Go to colleges. How may people do you see acting remotely christ like? Look around you at your job, etc. The few will be saved thing manifests itself everyday.
All I said was as far as I can tell, but I haven't been to every church, there is no way to know. That being said, I have been to hundreds of doors, and spoke with thousands of people over the years since I was a kid, a good portion who attended other churches named "Church of Christ", yet the similarity stopped there. Doctrinally, they were not the same. So, be sad all you want, but my answer HAS to be that based on past experience. Truth is I would love to find some outside the 40 or so. Love to. Oh, my lord, you have no idea how freaking cool it would be to talk to another Church of Christ that I have never heard of and find out they followed the bible completely as well. That would be so awesome. You would think it would have happened by now. It hasn't. Sorry, it is what is. It shouldn't make you sad, few will be saved. Look around you. Walk the streets. Walk the malls. Go to colleges. How may people do you see acting remotely christ like? Look around you at your job, etc. The few will be saved thing manifests itself everyday.
Dude you really piss me off sometimes. Are you really this blinded by your legalism? Have you even read a book of the New Testament not called Acts? How many churches did Paul deal with, that were openly doing things WAY worse than anything you claim to be damning. (Like not being at church all day on Sunday or having the wrong sign on the front of the church) You would have EASILY dismissed basically every single New Testament church as hell bound if they were around today. And most importantly, if Paul were around today, he would rebuke you for your blatant legalism. There is freedom in Christ, and that includes worship styles. Jesus never says that the church you belong to has to be called a "Church of Christ" for you to be saved. There is only one verse the King James Version of the Bible with the phrase "Churches of Christ" and that is in #1 Romans 16:16. "Salute one another with an holy kiss. The churches of Christ salute you." But in the same KING JAMES Bible there are THREE times that it mentions "Churches of God"# 1 Thessalonians 2:14 For ye, brethren, became followers of the churches of God which in Judaea are in Christ Jesus: for ye also have suffered like things of your own countrymen, even as they have of the Jews:# 2 Thessalonians 1:4 So that we ourselves glory in you in the churches of God for your patience and faith in all your persecutions and tribulations that ye endure: # 3 1 Corinthians 11:16 But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God. So are you wrong? Is your church really supposed to be called Church of God three times on your sign and Church of Christ one time are you are all hell bound?You are being blinded by your churches ego. Jesus died for me and I can do nothing to earn my way to heaven other than believe in that fact.Acts 16:31 Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved.Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our LordLois, seriously, I need you to answer this question.--I believe that I am a sinner. Romans 3:23 For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.--I believe that the penalty for my sin is separation from God. Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord--I believe that the only way to receive salvation is through God's gracious gift to me through his son's death on the cross. Ephesians 2:8-9 8For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9Not of works, lest any man should boast.John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.I want to be saved. I have repented of my sins initially and continue to do that on a daily basis. I have announced to the world that I am a follower of Jesus and followed his example in believer's baptism. I also am following his example in sharing my faith with others. Also I read my Bible constantly and pray without ceasing (this is tongue in cheek, but daily) So my question is this, What more... according to the Bible.... must I do to be saved?

This is my first peek into this thread. Fascinating. I remember that there was a sect of the Church of Christ in my hometown, that I know was on some cult watch list. They had a public access show that was really frightening. I would say the percentage of christians whom are like the ones described in the link is smaller than the media would have you believe from their coverage of them, but they are bigger than brav and lois are trying to claim and dismiss. The fact is there are millions and millions of people who worship, just like that.And personally, weird modes of worship doesn't mean sht to me. I don't care about the forms of people's worship. I care about how people's crazed, irrational beliefs effect me. And the percentage of Christians who share with the linked church similar crazed, irrational political beliefs is quite a solid voting block.

This is my first peek into this thread. Fascinating. I remember that there was a sect of the Church of Christ in my hometown, that I know was on some cult watch list. They had a public access show that was really frightening. I would say the percentage of christians whom are like the ones described in the link is smaller than the media would have you believe from their coverage of them, but they are bigger than brav and lois are trying to claim and dismiss. The fact is there are millions and millions of people who worship, just like that.And personally, weird modes of worship doesn't mean sht to me. I don't care about the forms of people's worship. I care about how people's crazed, irrational beliefs effect me. And the percentage of Christians who share with the linked church similar crazed, irrational political beliefs is quite a solid voting block.
You are combining two different conversations. The link and all the discussion about it was the PENTECOSTAL church, which has 5+ million members worldwide, but it still relatively small when compared to Christianity as a whole. Lois was then talking about 40 Church of Christ churches that are the only Christians on Earth. Some Church of Christ churches are pentecostal, some aren't. None of the 40 Lois was talking about are pentecostal.You are exactly right about the bolded part.