The guitarist they added late was Pat Smear or the GermsNirvana's lyrics were not obscure they were downright darkDave Grohl was always just a hired gun with Nirvana - he joined late and was a great drummer but musically he was always who he is nowit's not like he sold out -

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course Nirvana's music was simple. It's grunge for crying out loud.
yes, obv.. but for someone to call out grol for making "pop", when what Nirvana made was essentially pop with distortion, is just kinda funny to me. And I like Nirvana just fine, I don't think calling something "pop" is a slur. But math rock Nirvana ain't.
I think they could've been really good if they had hired a guitar player.
Kurt was an excellent guitar player
who was that queer guy that played with them towards the end and on the unplugged thing?
Pat Smear and a couple of dudes from the Meat Puppets
Joking, right?Being able to play power chords, and solos that cover at the most 2-3 strings does not make you an excellent guitar player.
I think he practiced a lot of self-sabotage, actually. He really didn't want to be a star at all, from what I can tell, so he avoided playing anything that could have brought him more attanetion from a different angle. I'm not saying he's in a class with, for example, anyone who graduated from Berklee, but he wrote a lot of songs that are unmistakably Nirvana. Leaving a specific stylistic imprint on a song is a trademark of a quality musician, the corollary being that Kurt was a pretty damn good guitar player.
Joking, right?Being able to play power chords, and solos that cover at the most 2-3 strings does not make you an excellent guitar player.
Rainman was an excellent driver.
I think he practiced a lot of self-sabotage, actually. He really didn't want to be a star at all, from what I can tell, so he avoided playing anything that could have brought him more attanetion from a different angle. I'm not saying he's in a class with, for example, anyone who graduated from Berklee, but he wrote a lot of songs that are unmistakably Nirvana. Leaving a specific stylistic imprint on a song is a trademark of a quality musician, the corollary being that Kurt was a pretty damn good guitar player.
I can buy that Kurt Cobain was an excellent song writer. I wouldn't agree, but I could buy it. But he just wasn't an excellent guitar player. He played power chords. Learning Nirvana songs is one of the easiest things a person learning to play guitar can do.Like, the Ramones, for example. They played 100 percent power chords. Their music is extremely easy to learn how to play. And their songs are brilliant little pop numbers, but it's not because of the guitar playing. Just because you, as a musical choice, decide to play simple, doesn't make it any less simple. Writing a great song, or a catchy song, just doesn't require being an excellent guitar player ( and being an excellent guitarist doesn't mean you will write great songs, either) That's like, the whole point of punk rock, really, it was a reaction to the indulgant, guitar hero style of 70's rock thing
That's like, the whole point of punk rock, really, it was a reaction to the indulgant, guitar hero style of 70's rock thing
Actually punk was a reaction against art/prog rock, not guitar heros per se. Sylvain Sylvain did plenty of extended soloing and guitar "posing" live, for example.
Actually punk was a reaction against art/prog rock, not guitar heros per se. Sylvain Sylvain did plenty of extended soloing and guitar "posing" live, for example.
so you're making a distinction between "art/prog" rock, and ' indulgant, guitar hero style of 70's rock thing"because it was prog rock's exact indulgence I was talking about when I said indulgent. And while the New York Dolls might have had extended solos, very, very few punk bands did.
so you're making a distinction between "art/prog" rock, and ' indulgant, guitar hero style of 70's rock thing"
OMG, theres a huge distinction. Art/prog = Yes, Floyd, King Crimson, ELP, Genesis et al. Except for Floyd and Yes these werent even guitar oriented bands, and even Yes was heavily keyboard oriented and with the emphasis on acoustic guitar far from a "guitar hero" band.
OMG, theres a huge distinction. Art/prog = Yes, Floyd, King Crimson, ELP, Genesis et al. Except for Floyd and Yes these werent even guitar oriented bands, and even Yes was heavily keyboard oriented and with the emphasis on acoustic guitar far from a "guitar hero" band.
Well, lets just say that I don't agree that Punk was solely a reaction to Yes. From the Ramones wiki...
It was also a reaction against the bombastic, complex, and heavily produced pop and rock music -- ranging from Led Zeppelin to progressive rock, as well as the smooth sounds of Los Angeles studio musicians later termed yacht rock -- which dominated the chrts in the 1970s.
Well, lets just say that I don't agree that Punk was solely a reaction to Yes. From the Ramones wiki...
I agree, "solely prog rock" is a stretch, but certainly largely it was prog rock. Johnny Rotten, eg, specifically dissed Pink Floyd as the epitome of what was wrong with rock, and that certainly wasnt directed at Gilmour/guitar, but the overall scale of prog rock.
I agree, "solely prog rock" is a stretch, but certainly largely it was prog rock. Johnny Rotten, eg, specifically dissed Pink Floyd as the epitome of what was wrong with rock, and that certainly wasnt directed at Gilmour/guitar, but the overall scale of prog rock.
yeah, but Pink Floyd was sort of the bridge between Prog and the rest of the arena rock of the era... they were pretty much the poster boy for everything that was wrong with 70's rock.
yeah, but Pink Floyd was sort of the bridge between Prog and the rest of the arena rock of the era... they were pretty much the poster boy for everything that was right with rock, period.
FYP :club:
Regarding the backmasking controversy, there's a video podcast by Michael Shermer of _Skeptic_ magazine. It's in TED Talks, and it's called "Why People Believe Strange Things." He plays the song forward and backward, with the supposed backward lyrics posted on a video screen, and he agrees with the scientist's observations that people can't identify the backward message until prompted, so he concludes it's basically the power of suggestion.I have had bad hearing ever since having scarlet fever as an infant. Whether it's that or just a plain lack of being observant, but I've never been good at identifying songs, and for some very strange reason, I have never ONCE been able to identify "Stairway to Heaven." Yet every time it's being played, I've asked my husband or someone else, "what's this song?" It's become a long-standing -- not quite joke, but "thing." In fact, we were watching the Michael Shermer video one night and he didn't identify the song before he played it. Of course, I asked.
Bolded for truth.I listened to the backmasked version a few days ago with the lyrics on the screen and those were the words I heard. I listened to it again a couple minutes ago and it was mainly garbled - the only word I heard was Satan.

Led Zeppelin - Greatest Rock N Roll Band EverJimmy Page - GodMy Fav Zeppelin SongsBring It On HomeLivin Lovin Maid (She's Just A Woman)FriendsCelebration DayOut on The TilesFour SticksThe Rain SongNo QuarterTrampled UnderfootWanton SongSick AgainAchilles Last Stand

Foo Fighters are awful.
they are a totally decent rock band that plays totally fine rock songs. they aren't trying to do anything more than that. and they still manage to achieve a couple moments of insane energy on every album. i think they're about 1/1,000,000 as loathsome as you imply. plenty of much much more terrible music out there to complain about.
they are a totally decent rock band that plays totally fine rock songs. they aren't trying to do anything more than that. and they still manage to achieve a couple moments of insane energy on every album. i think they're about 1/1,000,000 as loathsome as you imply. plenty of much much more terrible music out there to complain about.
Not a huge fan of Foo Fighters but I had a chance to see them live a couple of months ago and they were pretty decent. It seemed that they really connected with the audience
Oh, there is much worse out there, but not much thats worse and over-hyped as much. But, like movies or women, its primarily just taste.
After seeing that "Stairway" cover, I don't know how anyone could hate them. I think alot of it is polarization caused by the massive Nirvana love people have. I think people hate Hole/Courtney Love as much as they do for the same reason ( with a little misogeny kicker).
After seeing that "Stairway" cover, I don't know how anyone could hate them. I think alot of it is polarization caused by the massive Nirvana love people have. I think people hate Hole/Courtney Love as much as they do for the same reason ( with a little misogeny kicker).
actually I never liked Nirvana that much, Ive just hated Dave Grohl from the minute I saw Learning to Fly. Pearl Jam, Mother Love Bone and Alice >>>>>>>>>>Nirvana...oh yeah, and Soundgarden and Faith no More (the Mike Patton lineup, not the Courtney Love lineup!)
  • 7 months later...