So I recently started downloading some Led Zeppelin and obviously I was very impressed with "Stariway To Heaven". I was looking up the lyrics when I came across this page:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stairway_to_HeavenI was reading about the origins and all that when I got down to the end of the page and the "backmasking" controversy. They have an audio clip of the song playing backwards and I gotta tell you, it sounds to me like the lyrics they have listed. I guess Im just curious about your opinions on this thing. I had heard reference to this, but never really paid attention or investigated. Thoughts?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I have to say, if you hadn't heard what those words were supposed to be, and had just heard the backmasking, there's just no way you would have been able to come up with those words on your own, except for maybe one sweet satan.Also, I think the much more interesting part of your link was the part talking about the blatant plagiarism of Spirit's Taurus is more disturbing, and something I did not know about

Well, I have to say, if you hadn't heard what those words were supposed to be, and had just heard the backmasking, there's just no way you would have been able to come up with those words on your own, except for maybe one sweet satan.Also, I think the much more interesting part of your link was the part talking about the blatant plagiarism of Spirit's Taurus is more disturbing, and something I did not know about
1. I think you may be right. I read the words before I listened to the backmasking. I had my brother listen without knowing the words and all he heard was satan.2. Yes, that was rather interesting.

Even more blatant was how they ripped off Dazed and ConfusedSupposedly on Sgt Pepper it says "we'll f you like supermen" or something like thatthe only real one I know of is a pink floyd track that says "Congratulations you've found the secret message"Although I did watch the linked up version of Dark Side with the Wizard of Oz and it was pretty amusingSee also all the Paul is Dead clues - fun but absurdBill Hicks has a great routine about how Judas Priest decided that they hated being rock stars and decided to put suicide messages in their music "I'm sick of it. Sick of it. Groupies blowing me day and Night! I know... we'll get out audience to kill themselves."

Not for nothing but Robert Plant or one of the LZ guys bought the house that Allister Crowley wrote the Book of Satan too.Hmmmm

Not for nothing but Robert Plant or one of the LZ guys bought the house that Allister Crowley wrote the Book of Satan too.Hmmmm
It was Jimmy Page for certain, he was into all kinds of weird Magic. And Crowley didn't ever write anything called " the book of satan" for the record. He wrote a bunch of retarded magic books, but none of it was "satanic'. Unless, of course, you believe any magical book would be inherently satanic. Mostly Crowley was just a charlatan, com man, drug addict and a fraud.
the only real one I know of is a pink floyd track
That one is real, and another real one is at the beginning of ELO's "Fire On High", there is a back masked phrase "The music is reversible, but time is not." I'm sure there are others included in music, mainly in response to the controversy.One of these kooks came around to my college back in the 80s, playing all the alleged evil messages in music. Half the audience sat there with glassy stares and took it in, and the other half giggled at the stupidity. It even included recordings of *live* music. So apparently, whatever band it was was so evil that they learned how to say words backward and forward *at the same time* in a live concert.Of course, backward it actually sounded like "mmefrred hgreefes fesefhgvbx", but to their active imagination it sounded like "Satan is our leader" or something like that.
I disagree. But what do you think is?
Many!Off the top of my head, Dazed and Confused, No Quarter, Trampled Under Foot, Black Dog, How Many More Times, Communication Breakdown, The Song Remains the SameFor some somewhat obscure LZ trivia though: what was the first #1 hit Jimmy Page played on?
led zepplin: not that greatand stairway is one of their best songs
Get outta here with you and your crazy jazz : )Seriously though, Zeppelin is right up there with the Beatles when it comes to influential/revolutionary music.Edit: I will admit that Page is probably one of the most over rated guitarist of all time.

D'yer Maker is easily my favorite Zed Lepplin song.

I assume it was some yardbird song was page's first number one..
Nope. In fact I dont think the Yardbirds had any #1s, though I think Over Under Sideways Down is one of the greatest songs from the pyschedelic era.

Page played on a ton of sessions before the Yardbirdshe was on the Who's Can't ExplainIt's arguable whether he was on the Kink's You Really Got Me - although he definitely didn't play the soloAs for the Yardbirds - it was all Jeff Beck - all of it